Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 4:13:16 PM EDT
I had a buddy of mine say that if you want to go hunting in a different state that you have to have hunter safety completed. Is that true? I have never heard of that before.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno about federal, but here in Texas if you were born after some date (1979 I think), you have to have completed it to hunt legally, given a couple conditions.

I don't think it is a federal deal, but a state deal, as it should be.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dunno about federal, but here in Texas if you were born after some date (1979 I think), you have to have completed it to hunt legally, given a couple conditions.

right. they have that in WI too. if your born after some date in 1973 you have to do hunters safety. but it seems like this would be a federal law if you have to have it for any state that you want to go hunt in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to take it so I could hunt in Colorado. I thought I would be the only older guy in class with a bunch of kids. Not so, quite a few older people.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here in MN.  If you were born after a certain date, you need a firearms safety course to get your license.  The first year is waived if you hunt with someone else.  Those people born after the date but served in the military are exempt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Its state law and varies from state to state.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It can be true. I friend of mine who is a past master hunter had to take our state's hunter safety course to go elk hunting in New Mexico. It was brutally boring.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, you mean a fed requirement or a requirement to hunt fed lands? Hunter Ed. from one state is good in all 50 states plus some provinces in canada
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, you mean a fed requirement or a requirement to hunt fed lands? Hunter Ed. from one state is good in all 50 states plus some provinces in canada

federal requirement.

as in you have to have completed a hunter safety course to hunt in another state no matter what age you are
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't be true unless it is pretty new. My state allows proof (the old license) of a previous big game license instead of a safety course. I haven't been to a lot of other states, but the few I've been to accept my Maine hunting license as an exemption to their safety course rules.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to have it for CO. a few years ago, though I don't need it for Texas.

I seriously doubt it's any kind of Federal Law.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

right. they have that in WI too. if your born after some date in 1973 you have to do hunters safety. but it seems like this would be a federal law if you have to have it for any state that you want to go hunt in.

OR, you can show proof of having completed basic training. I never hunted before I was in the Army. I use my old ID card or DD214 in lieu of hunter safety ever year when I get my tags. I'm not sure if THAT would transfer to another state since that seems to be specific to Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I took my hunter education course at the ripe old age of 34.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Based on what I was told when I took hunter education you need to take the class to get your first license in all but one state, but don't remember what state that was. "Born after" dates vary by state, in IA I believe it's everyone after 1977. I don't know if states require their own class(Colorado class for Colorado license) but I suppose that's a possibility too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top