Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Scoped rifles?

So the stone cold killer, tactical ninjas can engage targets out to 75 feet?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
ACOG on a carbine. I consider it to be a decent compromise and would certainly work in the situation the OP described.

100 yds

Not the most accurate rifle on the planet but it works.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Scoped rifles?

Not sure if serious, sport.

All I can presume is that you are implying that anyone who needs a magnified optic must be some sort of piss poor excuse for a rifleman.

(ETA: not me)

That's not exactly correct. A magnified optic will not make a shitty marksman accurate, but it can make a good marksman faster and/or more accurate. It also aids target identification. While most folks who are unfamiliar with rifles think of a scope as a tool used to hit distant targets, it is also a tool that can help squeeze a bit more accuracy out of a rifle. Any person who is reasonably competent with a rifle should be able to consistently get 4-5 MOA groups with irons or a reflex type of sight. A good marksman can do significantly better.... on the range. Under stress and from unusual positions, accuracy tends to suffer. A four inch target at 50m (a very practical SHTF combat range) such as an ankle or knee sticking out from cover is suddenly much harder to hit when you throw in weird positions and life threatening stress. A man who was capable of consistent 300m head shots with irons yesterday may struggle to hit that target. A scope won't make it happen but it does make it a little less difficult.

Then again, maybe I completely misunderstood what you were trying to say. Perhaps you have something of value to add to the conversation?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Scoped rifles?

I don't know about you but I am much more accurate and can maintain a better group with a scope. and identifying your target correctly in a SHTF scenario would be important to me.

The only downside to a scope is real close combat, but an ACOG is a nice compromise to iron sights vs. standard scope.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I've put reliable hits on a 12" gong at 500 meters using a mauser and 50 year old turkish ammo.

I think any off the rack hunting gun with a cheap scope is MORE than capable of all of arfcom's fapasies®.

Pretty much.  There's very few situations where you'll be able to morally engage people further than 100' from you in any realistic SHTF scenarios.

20k acre cattle ranch + mobile cattle rustlers = sufficient cause to engage from further than 100' with a precision rifle.

That would be significant SHTF - as in total break down of all law and order, worse than Katrina, etc.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
First, "The Colony" is a stupid show.  Trying to show how people will respond to threats, and ignoring firearms is just dumb.

I can't really imagine a precision rifle being terribly useful in any (semi)realistic SHTF situation.

An AR with a 4x ACOG is not a precision rifle, and may be useful.

Really? So, some sort of riot situation is moving down your city block/ street toward your house, say a few in the group are setting fires as they go. You dont think it would be usefull to be able to put a round in the chest of someone bent on arson without firing into a larger group? What about someone getting a crowd worked up, you wouldnt want the ability to put one center of mass without hitting anyone else at 600 yards or so? It has its place.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First, "The Colony" is a stupid show.  Trying to show how people will respond to threats, and ignoring firearms is just dumb.

I can't really imagine a precision rifle being terribly useful in any (semi)realistic SHTF situation.

Really? So, some sort of riot situation is moving down your city block/ street toward your house, say a few in the group are setting fires as they go. You dont think it would be usefull to be able to put a round in the chest of someone bent on arson without firing into a larger group? What about someone getting a crowd worked up, you wouldnt want the ability to put one center of mass without hitting anyone else at 600 yards or so? It has its place.

More scenarios I hadn't considered.

Something else to consider: I know you're all stone cold, amoral killers with no conscience when it comes to SHTF but I might have a weak moment and want to help a stranger out. If I had the ability to spend one round to stop somebody from attacking another person and do it from a range that most thugs simply can't engage me, I think it would be pretty tempting. Hell, I'm no quixotic hero or anything but it could be beneficial to overall security when the stories start circulating about the rapist or looter who took one to the chest from "nowhere."
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Something else to consider: I know you're all stone cold, amoral killers with no conscience when it comes to SHTF but I might have a weak moment and want to help a stranger out. If I had the ability to spend one round to stop somebody from attacking another person and do it from a range that most thugs simply can't engage me, I think it would be pretty tempting. Hell, I'm no quixotic hero or anything but it could be beneficial to overall security when the stories start circulating about the rapist or looter who took one to the chest from "nowhere."

It's getting harder and harder to be from "nowhere."

I think you can be patterned pretty easily from your ao.  People talk, people see, people know.  After a few shots the gig is up.  First time, though... yeah.

(I did not even mention the shot spotter systems that will surely become prevalent in the near future).
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Easy:

Outside of an accurized AR...my primary SHTF implement would be a 14.5" carbine with a RDS.  Save those two options....I'd rather have a tried and true 308 deer rifle than a custom 308 precision rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's getting harder and harder to be from "nowhere."

I think you can be patterned pretty easily from your ao.  People talk, people see, people know.  After a few shots the gig is up.  First time, though... yeah.

(I did not even mention the shot spotter systems that will surely become prevalent in the near future).

I live in the Phoenix area. It's relatively flat with a few hills and a few buildings over one or two stories, but the streets are very straight and flat. If law and order completely broke down it would be possible to take a 400 yard shot in some places and not be observed. Obviously, if you're the guy stomping around with a scoped AR thinking you're Duke Nuk'em, things are going to catch up to you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Got both...  Just in case.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Easy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Hokie1850/DSCF0007.jpg

Outside of an accurized AR...my primary SHTF implement would be a 14.5" carbine with a RDS.  Save those two options....I'd rather have a tried and true 308 deer rifle than a custom 308 precision rifle.

Nice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I live in the Phoenix area. It's relatively flat with a few hills and a few buildings over one or two stories, but the streets are very straight and flat. If law and order completely broke down it would be possible to take a 400 yard shot in some places and not be observed. Obviously, if you're the guy stomping around with a scoped AR thinking you're Duke Nuk'em, things are going to catch up to you.

That's kinda funny, because the phoenix area is exactly what I was envisioning.   I grew up there.  I remember when I was a kid, with a bb gun.  I thought I was being sneaky.  I'd shoot stop signs from my roof.  I'd shoot trees and fence posts and "other things."

If you went back there now, you could go probably easily see exactly where I was shooting from by looking at the 'activity' and forming a center.

Sure, in your scenario, a few pop shots here and there aren't likely to blow your cover.  But if you're working repeatedly in the same AO, a determined foe will be able to track you.   Like bosnia countersnipers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]
The flaw in the Colony issue was that she went out alone and was captured.

I feel an accurate scoped rifle used by a person on an over watching position

would be an asset in a situation like that. They have showed that there are people

watching the colony and they could be seen by a person on an overwatch sentry

duty using a rifle like that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an Acog on a FAL I with which I can hit a head sized target at 200 yards reliably, beyond that range I dont think I'd either a: take a shot near a friendly, and b: be talking about "defensive" operations.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
would be an asset in a situation like that. They have showed that there are people

bingo.  The whole time with the truck and hostage they kept showing the guy looking out the window off to the truck, and I'm going "bang" problem solved.  drives the wife nuts, but It drives me nuts that they created such a ridiculous scenario.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

bingo.  The whole time with the truck and hostage they kept showing the guy looking out the window off to the truck, and I'm going "bang" problem solved.  drives the wife nuts, but It drives me nuts that they created such a ridiculous scenario.

That's pretty much what I was saying when I was watching it with the wife. Problem is, with the location the "bad guys" picked, a head shot could be risky with irons or non-magnified optics, hence my statement that perhaps a scoped AR would be more useful than I previously thought.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wow, very good point.  I had a Park Police riot control instructor tell me that the professional agitators that show up to protests are so good and will get the average cop so worked up that he's ready to punch granny right in the face on live television.  I imagine there would be a lot of those looking to get the masses riled up and follow along behind and gather up scraps.  

Dammit.  Need another rifle.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#19]
ah I see, thanks for showing man, I appreciate it.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. I think the producers elected to eliminate firearms from the equation for safety. Even airsoft or paintball couldn't be used in a 24 hour a day "simulation" like the show. The show is pretty dumb but it has got me thinking and that's a good thing.

What about something like this:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2cnxirl.jpg

I've since added a mini red dot at 1 'o clock. The scope is a 3-9X Burris. It is obviously not ideal for a long hump, but it's lighter than most precision oriented rifles. With the mini red dot it is capable of respectable speed though I obviously have a lot of room for improvement.

Basically, I've always figured I would carry a suppressed M4ish RRA with an Aimpoint on it if I was out and about looking for food or  whatnot and I would carry my suppressed 11.5" iron sighted AR around home. That show got me thinking that there could be situations where a precise shot might be useful. Sure, that particular scene wouldn't likely play out in exactly that way, but it got me thinking about the usefulness of a rifle that is capable of a bit more accuracy.

Nice, just finished something similar. What handguard is that?

I'm pretty sure it's a VTac. I got the upper in trade for a varmint upper.

That was my first thought but it doesnt have the normal VTAC 'tapered' barrel nut.

It is. You just can't really see it in that pic. I'll shoot another one in a minute here.

ETA: better pic

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ag9j7q.jpg

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Making someones head explode during SHTF, might just turn around the mob headed toward you.

If I cannot escape, that is my plan. Be it 50yds or 500yds, his friends are going to be wearing his brains.

A good optic will make this possible.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Making someones head explode during SHTF, might just turn around the mob headed toward you.

If I cannot escape, that is my plan. Be it 50yds or 500yds, his friends are going to be wearing his brains.

A good optic will make this possible.

Have you ever tried to pin point incoming fire from a distance? It is very difficult to do. Especially a single shot in a built up area coming from a concealed position. The report echos off everything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#22]

He should have said " might turn a mob around that WAS heading towards you but changed their mind because of the head splattering".  You're both saying the same thing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top