Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 10:16:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#1]
BVAC is a relatively new ammunition supplier and I know that Black Hills doubled the size of their facility. Nobody though is going to make the kind of investment it would take to open a from scratch plant with the uncertainty in the economy that there is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:47:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen brass cased .223 for under $300 a case all day. The lowest I remember seeing it before the craze was $285. If you are looking for $35 for 300rd BP of .223, no, you'll never see those types of prices again. Fuel has gone threw the roof since then, its almost triple what it was. So its going to cost more to ship stuff. Top that off with more shooters, they need more ammo, so demand has gone up, while supply has gone down. Plus the price of metals going up. All these little factors make it what we have today. But I never would have guessed we would ever get .50cal for under $2 a round, and we did. So things are coming back to what they used to be, but you'd be hard pressed to get everything back down.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there still an ammo shortage?  I bought a Lee Anniversary kit and a set of digital calipers in the spring and haven't looked back.  It took a while to get the crimping die and primers were sort of pricey there for awhile but now I'm making .45 ACP for about 15 cents a round and have already paid off all the gear.  Honestly, I haven't bought a retail box of ammo since last Christmas time - and it wasn't even for myself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You'd think someone out there would have already built another factory or two.....

Someones got to be working on one now, yes?

Please?

At the last gunshow (two months ago), I could have bought as much .380 FMJ (PMC Bronze or Independence) as I wanted at $13.99 a box.

I bought six boxes, the rest didn't seem to be moving. Other calibers were reasonably priced as well.

The ammo shortage is essentially over, just some dealers and consumers haven't quite gotten the word.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Where are you not finding ammo? I can get XM193 for .31 a round from a couple of places, prvi, IMI, any host of options. Even .380apc in this area can be had in cases, at normal pre-obama prices.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Prices could be lower but the frenzy is over and is going to get better for the hoarders in all of us.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
My local Sportsmans has XM193 for 6.99 /box .  Didn't realize there was a shortage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be more than happy to start the setup of a new plant.  Got a couple BILLION dollars for the physical plant, equipment, licenses, supplies and staff?  It's not like setting up a body shop you know.

And my biggest complaint about ammo availability lately has been that the sales dry up just before my payday.  For most calibers, anyway-I'm still waiting for .380 to fall back in price to the earlier "ugly duckling" range it used to be in.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
You are quite right, the price of ammo is rediculously high compared to a couple of years ago.  We need to keep in mind that the US GOV is buying huge quantities and we shooters are the step children when shortages occur.  But for the Russian/Privi/PMC we would have even higher prices to pay to US ammo mfgrs., not that I've seen much sign the US companies care to help us have cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You'd think someone out there would have already built another factory or two.....

Please?

Ammo supply and prices have eased up a bit since the ammo manufacturers have met their production quota from the military contracts. When you factor in the high price of lead and brass, with a large military demand and everyones fears of liberal gun grabbing you have what we have experienced in the last year.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know about you guys, but I can get anything I want now. There is no ammo shortage anymore.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I've noticed the pricing is sloooooowly coming down..
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The stuff is almost twice as expensive as it was before....how about I change it to "reasonably priced ammo?" Hmmmmm.....

Prices are coming down, not as quickly in NE as in other places though.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
What shortage???
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Where the heck are they having a shortage? Ammo prices are falling as far as I can see.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lots of little factories in basements all over the country now.

Federal Automatch is down to $14 at Walmart.  I recommend hording several cartons.

Was there a surplus CAMDEX(or similar) sale?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The stuff is almost twice as expensive as it was before....how about I change it to "reasonably priced ammo?" Hmmmmm.....

those days are long gone
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Ammo Glut Now. Shortage is so last year!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I worked on the Hornady addition that was done a little over (2) years ago
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:15:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

those days are long gone

Well, if there were more ammo the price would surely drop.....

Which explains why nobody is investing millions to increase the supply. They like prices high.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#24]
There was an ammo shortage?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Please?

What shortage? At least in Ohio, Walmart is always stocked, Vance's/Buckeye Outdoors is overflowing with ammo, as are the gun shows. The only thing I can't get is .45 Colt––Midway especially is always sold out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#26]
There is no more shortage and the prices are definately dropping here in ct. I can get 9 for 12 bucks now, 40 for around 18, and 45 for 20. Not early decade prices, but better then pre 08 election.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:52:06 AM EDT
[#27]
prices are definitely dropping, I would like to see another 30% off over the next year though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Hell, at Wally world the other day .45 ACP was sitting on the shelf.  They appeared to be out of nothing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Shortages have been disappearing over the last 6 months and prices are dropping.

I would expect prices to keep dropping through next year.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lots of little factories in basements all over the country now.

This is the answer.

The cool thing is, even if you don't reload, you still benefit from the lower demand.  My only problem is finding enough primers to keep me going, since I need three different types ans it's a rare thing when all three are in stock locally at once.

I think a lot of brick-and-mortar stores are also just very slow to change.  They realized that their customers would pay higher prices during the shortage and they haven't yet re-priced their stock since the shortage ended.

That, and a lot of shooters really don't know what the market rate is or should be.  Only a few of us even bother to go shopping on the internet for this stuff.  Most casual shooters just walk into the store and buy whatever is on the shelf for whatever the price happens to be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Still an ammo shortage?

I guess I've been in Asia a little too long, and I should check around, there's a Taiwanese MOD ammunition factory here in Taiwan, that sold some ammunition to the US Government.

Not sure if US shooters would even want to shoot Taiwanese ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not sure if US shooters would even want to shoot Taiwanese ammunition.

I would. I'd trust their quality control far more than Russian, Pakistani, or Indian suppliers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nope. Gun show last month had prices below end of bush era prices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Federal is adding on to a facility near me for centerfire rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#35]
The Great Ammo Scare died off a few months ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ammo Glut Now. Shortage is so last year!

No .380 in local WalMart for over a year, and I check every single week.

I hate going so long without practicing with my carry gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Did you just wake up after a long nap?     If so, GOOD NEWS!

There isn't a shortage anymore.  In fact, we are close to a Glut.  

Watch for the prices to crash in the next 6 months.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Ammo is everywhere and prices are dropping to the point where I may not be able to reload my plinking ammo for cheaper than I can buy it.  1000 rounds of wolf for under $200 is almost my break point. (AIM)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Please?

What ammo shortages?

Everything around here has ammo.

8 Walmarts within 15 miles, 1 Sportsmans Wharehouse, 1 Bass pro.
1 Cabela's. 2 Sports Authority. 2 Dick's Sporting Goods, 3 Big Fives. Most small gun stores had ammo throughout the shortage, but wanted too much for it.

No ammo shortage

And prices are coming down

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Most ammo prices have gone down; but not what I want to shoot: 9mm ball from Federal.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:43:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't see a shortage anymore, but prices are still too high for this economy, IMO. If not for the pending mail order handgun ammo ban in my state, I would be sitting tight waiting too see how it plays out. Instead, I'm buying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top