BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not news to anyone that Apple hardware costs more.  However, that little infographic thing is full of failure and omissions.

How so?

Teach us.

Top end Xeons cost way more than mid-range.  That goes for PC or Mac.

Memory requires ECC, which costs more.  PC or Mac.

Highest RATED card on newegg is $300.00.  Not the BEST raid card on newegg.  Again, applies to both PC and Mac.

Hard drives.  Doesn't say, but is Apple using enterprise grade HDDS?  Would explain price increase.

Putting a GT120 in it would be retarded.  I'll give him that.

Yes, 6" of additional display is worth every penny.  The 30" Apple display in not a joke.  It is top notch.

No on the hard drives. They use standard SATA drives, which now approach enterprise level drives from 5 years ago in terms of reliability.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He's seriously the only guy I know who has ever had a virus on a Macintosh.

It can be done, contrary to popular belief.

Oh, I know.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

wait wut?

My uncle got a virus on a Mac.  I am still not sure how the hell he did it.

trojans are the prime manner of infection with OSX
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't bring logic into this equation.

Of course, I'm anxiously awaiting the Mac legions to come in and defend Master Jobs and his extremely outrageous pricing scheme.

ETA: GOD DAMMIT THEY BEAT ME

Meh. I pay my hard-earned money for quality Mac computers, and they freaking last.

YMMV, and I know it does.

My PCs last too.

Enjoy the Mac.  I wasn't aiming that post at you, though.  More along the lines of people like my uncle.

"It costs more - it has to be good!"

Get back to me when you're still using a 10 year old PC every day.

But yeah, I'm of the "live and let live/compute and let compute" mindset. I live in a divided household; my wife works/programs on PCs. Even she admits my Macs have been far less troublesome than her PCs. And they last longer, too.

I've got a box at home that runs a lot of stuff for me (it's on 24x7x365 and has been for years) that is ~8 years old.  Most of my servers in the field are around that age too.

I'm generally live and let live but I've definitely gotta troll the Mac threads at least a litttle bit

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm really, really trying to give a shit.  But I don't think there is enough fiber in my diet lately.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course, I'm anxiously awaiting the Mac legions to come in and defend Master Jobs and his extremely outrageous pricing scheme.

Meh. I pay my hard-earned money for quality Mac computers, and they freaking last.

My PCs last too.

Enjoy the Mac.  I wasn't aiming that post at you, though.  More along the lines of people like my uncle.

"It costs more - it has to be good!"

Get back to me when you're still using a 10 year old PC every day.

But yeah, I'm of the "live and let live/compute and let compute" mindset. I live in a divided household; my wife works/programs on PCs. Even she admits my Macs have been far less troublesome than her PCs. And they last longer, too.

I've got a box at home that runs a lot of stuff for me (it's on 24x7x365 and has been for years) that is ~8 years old.  Most of my servers in the field are around that age too.

I'm generally live and let live but I've definitely gotta troll the Mac threads at least a litttle bit

I am running a webserver on a Dell PE2400 from 1998.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not news to anyone that Apple hardware costs more.  However, that little infographic thing is full of failure and omissions.

How so?

Teach us.

+2

+3

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Uh, that's not a laptop.

You uh... feeling alright? you do realize they don't just make laptops right?

Original thread title said "apple laptops".  

Are you serious or just jerking the OP's chain?

Jane

Seriously.

You mean he made error in a thread title, and rather than just admit it, he actually lied about it?  

Jane

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#8]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You mean he made error in a thread title, and rather than just admit it, he actually lied about it?  

Jane

I don't put any level of treachery past PC users...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

Especially when they are foaming at the mouth at the mere mention of Apple or Mac.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, that's not a laptop.

You uh... feeling alright? you do realize they don't just make laptops right?

Original thread title said "apple laptops".  

Are you serious or just jerking the OP's chain?

Jane

Seriously.

Jane

Essentially, yes.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#12]
anyone that would spend the time to put that infographic together clearly has mental issues

I mean, there are literally millions of products that I DON'T buy yet I don't feel the need to justify my non-choice of them.....either via my thoughts or a time-wasting graphic
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#13]
HAI GUYS!  i JUST SAW THIS AMZING PIC OVER AT \B\ ABOUT HOW EUROPE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE us!  i THINK i'M GOING TO MOVE11!

-wtf

P.S. If we got all our information from pretty pictures we would melt our guns and vote (D).  There is obviously a reason that Apple is successful; I doubt that "coolness" would drive lame technology for over a decade.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

anyone that would spend the time to put that infographic together clearly has mental issues

I mean, there are literally millions of products that I DON'T buy yet I don't feel the need to justify my non-choice of them.....either via my thoughts or a time-wasting graphic

The dirty secret is that if they were the same price as their favorite PC, most of the haters wouldn't buy a Mac anyway.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And the irrational Mac hatred continues....

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Whatever...don't hate the game, hate the player...

I'd rather carry a Apple computer and use a note pad, than use a PC of ANY KIND!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The dirty secret is that if they were the same price as their favorite PC, most of the haters wouldn't buy a Mac anyway.  

I don't know, man - RRA_223's rant from page 1 sure looked like he'd chuck his objections out the window if they were cheaper...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

Their hatred really has unbalanced them, hasn't it?

Jane

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There can be politics involved that keep people away from Mac's as well.

And, since you seem unable to detect sarcasm, that isn't it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There can be politics involved that keep people away from Mac's as well.

And, since you seem unable to detect sarcasm, that isn't it.

PC makers donate to - and support - libtard causes too...  Just sayin'
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

PC makers donate to - and support - libtard causes too...  Just sayin'

Oh, I know this.

I got some apple stuff in the house, btw.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Apple pays "their" Chinese Foxcon employees almost $2.00 more a day than the other Foxcon workers.

Got to make up for all that extra cost somehow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going on 5 years with an original dual-core Dell Dimension 9100 at work and run the following:
Visual Studio 2008
Visual Studio 2005
Borland Development Studio 2006
Borland Delphi 5
SQL Server 2008 Developement
Inno Installer
Much, much more....

The only thing I have done is add 2 gb of ram, and another 150gb hard drive.

You cannot say that pc's don't last when they are built with quality hardware.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going on 5 years with an original dual-core Dell Dimension 9100 at work and run the following:
Visual Studio 2008
Visual Studio 2005
Borland Delphi 5
Inno Installer
Much, much more....

show me where I said that.

I was bragging on my now-retired, but still operational Mac laptop that worked for 10 years almost straight.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I like my Mac, I paid for my Mac, and I couldn't care any fucking less what PC users think about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not news to anyone that Apple hardware costs more. However, that little infographic thing is full of failure and omissions.

How so?

Teach us.

Top end Xeons cost way more than mid-range. That goes for PC or Mac.

Memory requires ECC, which costs more. PC or Mac.

Highest RATED card on newegg is $300.00. Not the BEST raid card on newegg. Again, applies to both PC and Mac.

Hard drives. Doesn't say, but is Apple using enterprise grade HDDS? Would explain price increase.

Putting a GT120 in it would be retarded. I'll give him that.

Yes, 6" of additional display is worth every penny. The 30" Apple display in not a joke. It is top notch.

Here's a cart at newegg.com I saved it as a pdf.

http://www.jeremystroud.com/misc/dual%20xeon.pdf

strangely enough, the 2.66GHz Xeon is actually less expensive than the 2.26GHz Xeon by about $70 each.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117213

so you would actually save $140 by upgrading to the 2.66GHz Xeons.

The video card I spec'd is much better from a "Workstation" standpoint than a tarted up consumer graphics card like the 4870 for the mac.

The memory I spec'd is ECC and a higher speed grade than the mac comes with.

All around, a much better quality machine with hot swap drive bays, more and better ram, better video card, and if you swap the 2.26's for the 2.66's it will cost you less than $2500 after shipping and tax.

ETA and I forgot, thats with the western digital 2tb RE4 enterprise hard drive that is over 300 after shipping and tax by itself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I can't justify the cost and added functions.  I don't use them enough and secretly dream of the day we go back to carrier pigeons and smoke signals to dispense information.  I got rid of my smart phone after 4 months.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/Gdq61.jpg

Found it, thought I would pass it along....

Show me on the doll where the naughty Macintosh touched you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#29]
and exactly why dont anybody like bill gates
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/Gdq61.jpg

Found it, thought I would pass it along....

Show me on the doll where the naughty Macintosh touched you.

lol...I really don't care, it was just too easy to pass up NOT posting this here..as you can see.

Mac's always draw a good crowd to the threads.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Okay now that we have touched on the Mac vs PC debate, how about we rehash beans vs no beans.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like my Mac, I paid for my Mac, and I couldn't care any fucking less what PC users think about it.

Your avatar........... worries me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
and exactly why dont anybody like bill gates

He doesn't let people use cell phones at his labor day BBQ party at his house.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Go price out a dell precision.  Pricing is pretty close to the same.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

Their hatred really has unbalanced them, hasn't it?

Jane

so jane you use a mac and an exibishionist?

im aroused..
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not news to anyone that Apple hardware costs more. However, that little infographic thing is full of failure and omissions.

How so?

Teach us.

Highest RATED card on newegg is $300.00. Not the BEST raid card on newegg. Again, applies to both PC and Mac.

Hard drives. Doesn't say, but is Apple using enterprise grade HDDS? Would explain price increase.

Yes, 6" of additional display is worth every penny. The 30" Apple display in not a joke. It is top notch.

strangely enough, the 2.66GHz Xeon is actually less expensive than the 2.26GHz Xeon by about $70 each.

The video card I spec'd is much better from a "Workstation" standpoint than a tarted up consumer graphics card like the 4870 for the mac.

All around, a much better quality machine with hot swap drive bays, more and better ram, better video card, and if you swap the 2.26's for the 2.66's it will cost you less than $2500 after shipping and tax.

ETA and I forgot, thats with the western digital 2tb RE4 enterprise hard drive that is over 300 after shipping and tax by itself.

but can you put OSX on it?
and how much is your time worth to put it together? Time is money friend!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Visual Studio 2008

Visual Studio 2005

Borland Delphi 5

Inno Installer

Much, much more....

But upgrading Macs is SOOOOOO easy!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Teach us.

Top end Xeons cost way more than mid-range.  That goes for PC or Mac.
Their CPU pricing is in line with everyone else.  Compare apples to apples with any other "PC" manufacturer.

Memory requires ECC, which costs more.  PC or Mac.
True however they still markup the RAM a decent amount.

Highest RATED card on newegg is $300.00.  Not the BEST raid card on newegg.  Again, applies to both PC and Mac.
The highest RATED card is consumer grade BS.   Their RAID card is a high end card (albeit still over priced)

Hard drives.  Doesn't say, but is Apple using enterprise grade HDDS?  Would explain price increase.
Nope apples uses mainstream drives.   Usually rebadged with apple OEM stickers.

Putting a GT120 in it would be retarded.  I'll give him that.
Apple has never really been on the ball when it comes to the latest video adapters.  
Their need to utilize 128K video BIOS is the party pooper here.   That's why you can flash "some" cards as not all of them have the extra room on their BIOS chips.

Yes, 6" of additional display is worth every penny.  The 30" Apple display in not a joke.  It is top notch.

Apple displays are amazing.  Not worth it to me though I don't do ultra detailed video/graphics editing.  Not even close to worth it.  

moral of the story.  

You may be able to build comparable system from parts for cheaper but buying from a builder (Dell,HP etc) you will see prices that are above and below Apples offering.  

I just built a Mac Pro and a Dell T7500 workstation

Very similar specs (sans the video card)  

2.93 6 core Xeon on both system
24GB of ram on both (they both dramatically inflate the price of ram)
1TB hard disk (single disk in both machines)

The Mac Pro I had the cheap as hell Radeon 5770 which Apple inflates the price of dramatically but get's comparable performance to a Quadro FX3800 in the Dell
However this is apples and oranges in this regard.   The FX is a 400 dollar card in real life and is geared for work.  
So for the sake of keeping everything even we can subtract 400 dollars from the final cost of the dell and 200 from the Mac Pro and pretend they have no video cards in them.

The Dell  (no OS)
$9124.00

The Apple (OS X)
$8749.00

Anyway this is a retarded "argument" So much bias and emotion towards a @#$@ company on both sides of the fence.  
Very similar systems for similar prices wouldn't you say?

I'm pretty sure someone is going to come around and build another similar workstation and nitpick.   When I could in turn do the same yet again.  I'm not that motivated to participate in this and I sure as hell won't take any sides.
I use me some computers.   I have a mac, a Windows 7 machine and a linux desktop at home.  
At work I use Mac's and linux only.

Why do some of you "HATE" a company so much?  I'm impressed that a company has done so well for themselves.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How so?

Teach us.

but can you put OSX on it?

and how much is your time worth to put it together? Time is money friend!

should be able to, it uses the intel chipset so I can't see any reason you couldn't make a hackintosh out of it.

ETA I would charge 250 to assemble and load windows, after looking a little bit it appears that video card will not work with mac os, or at least the manufacturer provides no drivers for it so I would have to get one of the mac graphics cards (which also work on windows PC's :) )
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. I pay my hard-earned money for quality Mac computers ADVERTISING, and they DON'T freaking last.

Just fixed it for you.  

You can talk to my wife about how awsome her 3 Mac laptops are, how one is such a POS she has to boot in safe mode, and the other (which is just a little bit older) doesn't even have enough HD space to load the newest OS on it...this is after she's removed most of her necessary software.  High five apple for tricking a good portion of the sheeple.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Teach us.

GREAT JOB on keeping up with the times Mr. Flintstone.

That screenshot of the apple store is old they don't even offer that CPU as an option any more.  
So comparing a boxed processor off of newegg today and comparing it to pricing from some time ago doesn't count try again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

should be able to, it uses the intel chipset so I can't see any reason you couldn't make a hackintosh out of it.

just a quick search it looks like 50/50 on the install..

but Time is money friend.. it takes time to install config and make the system ready.. with the mac its flip a switch..
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh. I pay my hard-earned money for quality Mac computers ADVERTISING, and they DON'T freaking last.

Just fixed it for you.  

You can talk to my wife about how awsome her 3 Mac laptops are, how one is such a POS she has to boot in safe mode, and the other (which is just a little bit older) doesn't even have enough HD space to load the newest OS on it...this is after she's removed most of her necessary software.  High five apple for tricking a good portion of the sheeple.

You know 99.9% of all HDD's are completely and simply user upgradeable right?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. I pay my hard-earned money for quality Mac computers and they freaking last.

Just fixed it for you.  

Fixed back. You can talk to my wife about how awesome her HP desktop and Sony Vaio POSs have been. And my brother about his HP desktop, and my wife's friend about her HP desktop too. And the Dell laptops her close friends have and hate because they're pieces of junk.

The one bright spot in the otherwise dismal PC experience we've had: A 4 year old Lenovo we bought my inlaws. Runs great.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does anyone else have the philosophical dilemma of owning Apple stock but not their computers?....

Hell no! If I could go back in time id buy some up.

The company I work at sells horse tack/supplies. Me? I cant believe the sheer stupidity of most horses and their owners and do what I can to stay away from both.
Pays is good though cuz come hell or high water they absolutley must have more useless crap for their dumb animals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just fixed it for you.  

You know 99.9% of all HDD's are completely and simply user upgradeable right?  

I won't touch those POS's...Apple is all her doing and refuses to buy PC because she's an Apple whore; to replace them she just picked up a Mac Book Pro, I guess it'll last for 1 year.
I must be the luckiest person alive, I have a 8 year old (or so) Compaq which I use for auto/moto tuning software, she also has a Lenovo (IBM) which all work great still.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How so?

Teach us.

GREAT JOB on keeping up with the times Mr. Flintstone.

That screenshot of the apple store is old they don't even offer that CPU as an option any more.

So comparing a boxed processor off of newegg today and comparing it to pricing from some time ago doesn't count try again.

you want to be a nit-picker, here ya go.

PDF's of current 8 core mac pro with 8gb ram although it is still the slower DDR3 1066

http://www.jeremystroud.com/misc/currentmacpro8core.pdf

And here is as close as I could get to matching specs, same video card, processors, size of hard drive, size of ram (if not speed, cause the pc is using DDR3 1333).

Hell, I even threw in a cordless keyboard and mouse.

http://www.jeremystroud.com/misc/dualxeon2.pdf

so the mac is over $3600

and the PC is less than $2500 after tax and shipping, even if you throw in $250 for labor for assembly you are still looking at just shy of $1000 difference.

oh, and that's before you put sales tax on the mac.

Sorry, you lose.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
BTW that info and pricing is pretty old, you can buy a similar/slightly faster Mac Pro now for $800 LESS than what was posted.  

Or you can get one for WAY less in the EE!!

*While supplies last.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The one bright spot in the otherwise dismal PC experience we've had: A 4 year old Lenovo we bought my inlaws. Runs great.

The only laptops I will buy are Macs and Thinkpads.  Yes, they are both expensive.  They also tend to be the most reliably and least finicky.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top