Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 7:47:48 AM EDT

I know was suprised that mine had never been updated or improved. I can't remember what the lowest level is called.  Secret?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe there is actually a level called "Confidential", and yes, I'm talking about clearances and not information designation.

But I've never seen anyone given that level of clearance.

To my knowledge, the lowest one that involves an SSBI is Secret.

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#2]
You won't have any level of security clearance until you get a job that requires it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You won't have any level of security clearance until you get a job that requires it.

That being said. If applying for a job that asked that question. What should I put? I don't want to lie. should I put n/a?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The lowest level of National Security clearance is Secret (actually Confidential, but anyway).

The question is did you actually have a clearance or just a background investigation.  Contrary to what many believe, not all get a clearance.

It is no longer valid after you get debriefed unless you get another position requiring a clearance within 2 years of your break in service.  Even then you may/will need to have a periodic reinvestigation every 5 or 10 years depending on the level or clearance required.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And getting one totally sucks.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That being said. If applying for a job that asked that question. What should I put? I don't want to lie. should I put n/a?

Put your .mil service and then put "unknown" in clearance level.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#8]
What are the levels of clearance?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

_MaH

BI on SF86 for Secret.
DOD will do a Secret based on a NACLC
SSBI on SF86 will do all - Secret, TS, TS/SCI - (Q for DOE)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You could also put your .mil service, and say "x" clearance at "y" date.

As others have said, if it's been over a certain # of years, the whole investigation
would have to be redone, but if you're still within scope, that might give you an
edge over somebody who they'd have to totally start from scratch with.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

BI on SF86 for Secret.

Ah, the elusive Q clearance.

Guys with those, and guys with Yankee White, I just don't want to meet.

I have it in the back of my head that I'd just say "Hello!", they'd be having a bad day, and I'd be dead within the hour.

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

BI on SF86 for Secret.

Guys with those
, and guys with Yankee White, I just don't want to meet.

I have it in the back of my head that I'd just say "Hello!", they'd be having a bad day, and I'd be dead within the hour.

_MaH

Some of them are actually really cool and hella down to Earth.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As others have said, if it's been over a certain # of years, the whole investigation
would have to be redone, but if you're still within scope, that might give you an

Just a thought.

I had a clearance that lapsed, and then when I had to resubmit (for a different service) the clearance just came back approved, no interview, nothing.  So I guess having a previous clearance can expedite a new one.

I've also seen people with crazy fucked up back grounds approved for secret with no sweat, and other applicants denied for minor stuff.  It doesn't seem consistent.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#14]
The only one employers really care about is TS, any joe off the street can usually get a S.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

BI on SF86 for Secret.

Guys with those, and guys with Yankee White, I just don't want to meet.

_MaH

Something like this?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought.

I had a clearance that lapsed, and then when I had to resubmit (for a different service) the clearance just came back approved, no interview, nothing.  So I guess having a previous clearance can expedite a new one.

I've also seen people with crazy fucked up back grounds approved for secret with no sweat, and other applicants denied for minor stuff.  It doesn't seem consistent.

Mine lapsed (got it in 96) and it took a year to get my new one when I finished college and got a job.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top