Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 6:23:58 AM EDT
Do they work well for you?

I started going to a chiropractor yesterday after some really bad back pain this weekend following a 40 minute run. ( http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1087340 ).

He took x-rays yesterday, and this morning during my second visit, he showed me how crooked my spine was, and how I have a degenerating disc between L5 and my sacrum.  My foot scans show that my right foot pronates pretty badly (which is interesting, because I've been having some tenderness on the outside of my right foot just below the ankle for the past month or so.)

Anyway, in addition to telling me I should stop running and take up other types of cardio, he said I really need custom Foot Leveler orthotics, for the bargain price of around $300.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife is a nurse on her feet all day and swears by them. Alot of people I know use them also. Ive been thinking about getting a pair too as Ive noticed Im pretty flat footed and can feel my weight roll inward on my ankle when I walk sometimes.

They typically are right around that price point too so sounds about right.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
$300 doesn't sound too bad.  The price tag on my custom orthotics was $600.  I also underpronate and have knee pain as a result of bad biomechanics.

My medical plan covers 90% of the cost; you may want to check your plan to see if you are covered as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
$300 doesn't sound too bad.  The price tag on my custom orthotics was $600.  I also underpronate and have knee pain as a result of bad biomechanics.

My medical plan covers 90% of the cost; you may want to check your plan to see if you are covered as well.

I work in Podiatry some times. Orthotic inserts that are fitted well can make a tremendous difference. Some times you have to get used to them by wearing them for short periods of time at first. Eventually they will wear out though. Do you have any specific questions?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work in Podiatry some times. Orthotic inserts that are fitted well can make a tremendous difference. Some times you have to get used to them by wearing them for short periods of time at first. Eventually they will wear out though. Do you have any specific questions?

Thanks.  Nothing really specific, just some general info like you've provided.

This is a new chiropractor for me, and while he seems knowledgeable, I get a bit skeptical when he's recommending a product based on foot scans by a fancy machine / laptop / printer provided by the maker of the product, with nice posters around the room telling me why I need the product, and nice sales slicks describing the product.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Cigna only covers orthotics for diabetics.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cigna only covers orthotics for diabetics.

My plan covers them after 500 dollars.  They were only 400

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
One evening bump.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had a pair for over a year now, and have no problems with them.  While I haven't had what I believe to be earth-shattering results, I do feel like I walk a little better and that the abnormal wear on my shoes has been reduced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top