Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 5:13:43 AM EDT
Is your ccw permit valid in NYC or is there some weird law stopping you?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:14:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 5:14:48 AM EDT by Zaphod]
Originally Posted By Muerte:

NO.

In fact, not even a NYS CCW is valid in NYC.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:16:28 AM EDT

You really think a city who likes to think they are above state and federal law is going to honor anyone's CCW permit?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:17:03 AM EDT
Damn
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:20:21 AM EDT
Although I hear it's possible to get a NYC carry permit if you're able to pass the necessary background check, i.e. your background shows you're a well connected Democrat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:23:48 AM EDT
NO chance!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:25:15 AM EDT
It holds just as much weight in NYC as it would in North Korea.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:28:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 5:29:48 AM EDT by Deej86]
Facepalm
Originally Posted By Zaphod:
Originally Posted By Muerte:

NO.

In fact, not even a NYS CCW is valid in NYC.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:35:08 AM EDT
You need one of these:

Or one of these:
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:36:57 AM EDT
I'll just leave this here...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:45:22 AM EDT
It's also mostly OK if you're a good wide receiver.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:48:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By geegee:
Although I hear it's possible to get a NYC carry permit if you're able to pass the necessary background check, i.e. your background shows you're a well connected Democrat.

Yeah. The list of Democrat dicks you'd have to suck is long, putrid, and can be greased only by copious amounts of under-the-table cash.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:49:38 AM EDT

Actually, unless that badge is issued in New York City, not even that is good enough.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:50:43 AM EDT
They discourage out of town police officers from carrying
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:52:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 5:54:28 AM EDT by Mikey415]
Guns are bad and they don't want bad things to happen in NYC...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:01:03 AM EDT
If they could ever get preemption past in NY that would open the flood gates. As soon as a bunch of NYer's see that people from within the state can carry in NYC they'll scream bloody hell for ccw permits.

Of course Hell hasn't frozen over yet, so it might be a while.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:03:12 AM EDT
There was a fellow on the Peoples Pourt that was a PI in Long Island. He brought his CCW into the city and was chatting with the police at a police station. They wanted to make sure his permit matched up to the serial number on his gun. That's what he said they told him. He handed it to them and then he got arrested because his Suffolk Cty permit was no good in the big city.

The Peoples Court case involved him not wanting to pay his attorney who got him off scot free.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:15:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Tahawus:

Actually, unless that badge is issued in New York City, not even that is good enough.

Really? I thought the nationwide LEO concealed carry extended into the PRNYC.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:57:14 PM EDT

Negative, LEO's (meeting HR218;s specs) from anywhere can carry in NYC
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:15:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 2:13:00 PM EDT by Progun1911]
When I lived in NY I had a CCW from Dutchess County and I could carry anywhere in NY except NYC and Long Island.The two places were you needed it the most and it was no good. Also the weird law stopping you I believe is the Sullivan law from 1968 not really sure of the specifics of the law and don't feel like searching.

Edit ,MY BAD....just talking to my father and told him about my post and he corrected me about Long Island, NYS Pistol Permit GTG in Long Island .Don't know where I got that from but that's what I thought.Sorry !
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:22:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Progun1911:
When I lived in NY I had a CCW from Dutchess County and I could carry anywhere in NY except NYC and Long Island.The two places were you needed it the most and it was no good. Also the weird law stopping you I believe is the Sullivan law from 1968 not really sure of the specifics of the law and don't feel like searching.

1911. Sullivan was a (racist, corrupt) NY state senator, and didn't want gangmembers (other than his own Irish gang) to legally carry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:23:26 PM EDT
Few million to Bloombergs reelection campaign will get you one as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:25:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ceverett:

or if you're banging jill nicolini
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:28:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Vigilante256:

Originally Posted By ceverett:

or if you're banging jill nicolini

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:31:00 PM EDT

Can't carry in long island with a NY state permit ? I didn't know that...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:31:36 PM EDT

Wrong federal law allowing cops to carry nationwide oversedes NYC law

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:36:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glock21guy:

That is the way they see it in NYC: "Wrong federal law".

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:36:53 PM EDT

Be careful with this, NYC tres to override a lot of federal laws. Heck, they even deny those of us with a premise permit (basically the only kind you can get in NYC) from leaving the state. They have actually won this in court and beat the federal frearms owners protection act. Google "beach vs kelly".

OP: NYS does not recognize any handgun permit from any other state. NYC does not even recognize NYS permits.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:44:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lion:

Be careful with this, NYC tres to override a lot of federal laws. Heck, they even deny those of us with a premise permit (basically the only kind you can get in NYC) from leaving the state. They have actually won this in court and beat the federal frearms owners protection act. Google "beach vs kelly".

OP: NYS does not recognize any handgun permit from any other state. NYC does not even recognize NYS permits.

I don't see how it could stick if it was fought. Clearly it is legal for a cop to carry in NYC.

I don't need to worry about though, I'm not a cop, so I don't get the luxury of even being technically legal if I carried in NYC
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:45:44 PM EDT

I think that falls into the "You might beat the rap, but you're gonna take the ride" category.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:48:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By edb66:

I think that falls into the "You might beat the rap, but you're gonna take the ride" category.

This.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:49:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 2:14:14 PM EDT by Progun1911]

My bad see above.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:51:37 PM EDT

Wrong, NYS pistol permit is valid everywhere in the State except New York City. Check the Penal Law.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:54:22 PM EDT

I dont remember if it was Suffolk or Nassau ,the closer county to NYC .I think it was Suffolk county.CCW from NY no go.

Nassau cty is the one closer to NYC...I know there is no problem in Suffolk with NYS ccw and I've never heard of there being any problem in Nassau either. How long ago was this?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:55:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:

Wrong, NYS pistol permit is valid everywhere in the State except New York City. Check the Penal Law.

Thats what I always thought.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:56:54 PM EDT

I dont remember if it was Suffolk or Nassau ,the closer county to NYC .I think it was Suffolk county.CCW from NY no go.

A NYS carry permit is valid everywhere except NYC. It is perfectly valid in Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:12:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By edb66:

NYC has already lost several cases against officers from PA and elsewhere. Well, less like "lost", more like "a Federal judge told NYC to go fuck itself".
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:17:29 PM EDT
I don't know what I was thinking about Long Island since I was only there like 3 times and lived in NY for 42 years.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:29:43 PM EDT
Unless your name is Robert de Niro or Donald Trump...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:41:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:

But remember, if you're going from Orange County to Long Island, you have to go through some part of the City.

God, I HATE my hometown!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:46:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 2:46:34 PM EDT by ChrisLe]

Originally Posted By BillSouthCarolina:
Unless your name is Robert de Niro or Donald Trump...

Or Arthur Sulzberger, the rabidly anti-gun publisher of the NY Times... Fucking Hypocrite..

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 3:05:56 PM EDT by Danj]
I am on LI and I had some idiot try to tell me that he could get reciprocity to carry in NYC with his TX CCW permit. This was after he basically told me he was a ninja. I laughed at him. He didn't like that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:18:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

Really? I thought the nationwide LEO concealed carry extended into the PRNYC.

it does...but there are a shitpot full of NYC politicians (ie prosecutors) and NYPD bosses that dont accept that.
There are a couple here in NJ as well sadly. you wont get beefed by another cop...but the Prosecutor may try and break it off in your ass is you have to use your weapon. At least NY has the option of CCW outside the City, in Nj it's the entire STATE that you have to be connected to a pol if you aren't LE.//yet Jie NJ Citizen can get his nonresident CCW in a dozen other states, and be treated with more trust than in his own home.
Top Top