Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:34:54 AM EDT
Figure I'd post this up as it seems relevant to our interests.  I have no dog in the this hunt, but I'd be pissed if the cops took me away for protecting my household.  However, there'd probably be more dead gangbangers when they got there.

Linkus Maximus

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.

He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.

“What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech “ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

“They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

That ShotSpotter technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet. Police said it also detected two other shootings in nearby Roosevelt that night.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I figure this was somebody in here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Just got done reading that.  Nothing like charging the innocent civilian over the criminals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Lets see how this goes. Will/does groups like 2AF or the NRA step in and assist people in situations like this? Seems like a win for this guy is a win for all of us.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:40:33 AM EDT
[#4]
arrested for not killing someone. Would the cops been happy if he would have shot a bunch of the gangbangers. geeze, totally useless bs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]

"He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Someone says this to me and I see a gang of people headed my way, those shots are not going into the ground.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:44:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just got done reading that.  Nothing like charging the innocent civilian over the criminals.

You gotta love this country, a gang shows up at someones house threating the man and his whole family so instead of waiting to get killed he fires a few warning shots and who do they charge? Not the criminals but the home owner. How did our country get this bad? Why does the DA still have a job, he should be flipping burgers after pulling this shit but no he'll get promoted.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Dupe.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:48:04 AM EDT
[#8]
This was posted yesterday. Three times.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#9]
He is fooked. After the law rapes his ass, he will still have to deal with the gangbangers whom will surely return.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#10]
When will people learn that when they break the door down, you can kill everyone coming in?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dupe.

Shit.  My first.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dupe.

Shit.  My first.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1087647
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:24:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Fuck the police who arrested this guy. Fuck the DA for pressing charges

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Figure I'd post this up as it seems relevant to our interests.  I have no dog in the this hunt, but I'd be pissed if the cops took me away for protecting my household.  However, there'd probably be more dead gangbangers when they got there.

Linkus Maximus

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious "MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

"I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

"He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

"What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech "ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

"They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

That ShotSpotter technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet. Police said it also detected two other shootings in nearby Roosevelt that night.

After I get off work, I think I'll check on that regarding that area.

Does the law define physical force? Does it address disparity of force?

Hmmm...

First 5 guys. Then 20 more guys "rushing around the corner". SA AK-47? 30 rounds? Against 25 guys if they rushed him? I'd need a choke point and at least 2 more magazines.  Wifey was already calling the police? I'd put my chances at less than 50%. I'd probably get a bunch of them, they'd probably get me, which means that's the rest of my family dead as well.

Sounds fucked up all the way around.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You gotta love this country, a gang shows up at someones house threating the man and his whole family so instead of waiting to get killed he fires a few warning shots and who do they charge? Not the criminals but the home owner. How did our country get this bad? Why does the DA still have a job, he should be flipping burgers after pulling this shit but no he'll get promoted.

I'm with you.  Disgusts me to no end.  All it does is piss decent people off more and more everyday.  Just following the law.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#16]
We don't know the whole story..
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking DA is a cock enabler for the gangs too.  They'll just get bolder as the law is on their side.

The line between .gov and a gang is more blurred.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Linkus Maximus

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious "MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

"I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

"What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech "ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

"They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

Hmmm...

First 5 guys. Then 20 more guys "rushing around the corner". SA AK-47? 30 rounds? Against 25 guys if they rushed him? I'd need a choke point and at least 2 more magazines.  Wifey was already calling the police? I'd put my chances at less than 50%. I'd probably get a bunch of them, they'd probably get me, which means that's the rest of my family dead as well.

and this is why I bet the farm a Grand Jury will No Bill this charge.........he had damn good reason to fear for his life and the life of his family. Should have arrested evryone there for tresspass, harassment, and any other charge they could think of.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Linkus Maximus

Hmmm...

You don't have to get all of them. After you've sprayed the loudmouths brains on his buddy, most of the rest will scatter.

He should have shot the one threatening his family dead.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Super-DUPER!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When will people learn that when they break the door down, you can kill everyone coming in?

They shouldn't have to break down the door and come in.  As soon as they are on the victims property in numbers that are overwhelming and they are threatning the death of family and babies they are in too deep.

There is a huge difference between an angry mob and one guy just trespassing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Linkus Maximus

Hmmm...

and this is why I bet the farm a Grand Jury will No Bill this charge.........he had damn good reason to fear for his life and the life of his family. Should have arrested evryone there for tresspass, harassment, and any other charge they could think of.

LOL, do you think they were standing around waiting for the police to arrive?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#23]
So my understanding from this is, one can only defend himself if his wife is getting raped, his kids murdered and the gang is already physically hurting you.  I am so glad I live in Missouri, if shit liked that happened here the man defending his family would be in the right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top