Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 9:29:20 PM EDT
http://chrisfenton.com/homebrew-cray-1a/

If its running at 33MHz on an FPGA, imagine what a Cray-1A on a dedicated ASIC would be!?!

An original with the guts exposed. They ran at 80MHz with a blistering 32MB memory!

Unfortunately, nobody can find any software to run on it, so it seems kind of useless, but what a testament to Moore's law that what cost tens of millions of $$$ in 1976 anyone can make with a little bit of cash and some know-how.

What I'm watching now:
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty cool. Hopefully he can find some software for that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to play oregon trail on that bad boy!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
neat
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
kinda amazing that my phone has 10x the prcessing speed and 16x the ram only a few decades later
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If those engineers had FPGA's 34 years ago, they would have jizzed their pants.  

Very cool that this guy took on the project.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I think my EOTech has more whizz-bang computer technology in it than that thing
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link has pic of hot wife.....................

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
And they went to the Moon using slide rules.......
-K
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

-K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

An original IBM PC looks like a modern Supercomputer compared to what got us to the Moon.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
My Uncle Richard worked for Hughes Aircraft in El Segundo as a computer programmer (he couldn't talk about his job per se) back in the 60s/70s, when I was little.  They had a Cray front/back (?) end that they used for all of their testing and modeling, I guess.

I always remember him giving my brother, sisters and I, big stacks for their computer paper to color and draw on when we went over there for Thanksgiving.

We had stacks of that stuff at home.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

An original IBM PC looks like a modern Supercomputer compared to what got us to the Moon.

OMFG

I had no idea those computers were so.........clunky.  Damn, RTL logic and core memory......

However, now that I look back on my early days in electronics and remember what state of the art was in 1969 and before..........

I even still have some old RTL/DTL based test equipment around here, with germanium transistors and Nixie tube displays...........

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]
In the old days we had "elegant" programs/programmers with not so smart computers.  Now we have the inverse.  Bloated, buggy programs. running on uber fast data crunchers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top