Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't want to have any part in anything that might cause an upsurge in insurgent attacks.

Discretion is often considered weakness around here.

Eh, let 'em call me weak...presents as much problem for me as the world's most belligerant termite. I just think its a bad idea and I really don't want to be affiliated with anything or anyone that might get one of our boys/girls on their own TV show starring them and their soon-to-be misplaced head.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember the good old days when women would burn their bras.

Now everyone is old, and all there is left to burn are Depends.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thinking about a having a ceremony in a few days.

Anybody?

Here ya go!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7279628/Islam-Holy-Quran
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What happens if I download the Arabic version of "The Poor Man's James Bond"?

That might actually be risky.

As a test you should got to all the gun forums you can find and post a thread asking how to mix ANFO and make home-made blasting caps.  Wait a month and give us an update on the health of your dog.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Burning books makes you feel better about yourself? That's weird and fucked up.

I wonder if he is aware of the people he is associating himself with, past and present, who do or did such things?

So if he burns a book in protest because it will piss off someone that he wants to piss off, suddenly he some kind of communist?
He's not trying to ban the book. He's trying to flip off a satanic cult.

The people that brought you this
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder if he is aware of the people he is associating himself with, past and present, who do or did such things?

So if he burns a book in protest because it will piss off someone that he wants to piss off, suddenly he some kind of communist?

The ones you should be hating are already pissed off.

Might as well spend your afternoon having a beer and chatting with some uncovered women.  They really hate that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out who the book burners have been throughout history.  I would not want to be associated with them.  

I am not worried about him pissing off anyone.  I do think it is rather childish.  But that is his decision.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's two.  
Getting your quota in early this month.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you never purchased a book before?

I do not want any record of a download.  There is a federal watch list, and you do not screw with the feds if you value your lifestyle.

There is not a fucking watch list for buying books, especially widely distributed religious works or books that are examined in an academic context like the Quran or Bible. Loosen the fucking tin foil.

Yeah, right.  Let me guess, you're from the Alexandria area, with a  commute to a big fancy building everyday.

You're making some serious ASSumptions with this post. I make it a point not to comment directly on my profession or background unless required, as I don't wish to be Arock'd like others here have been simply because someone on the internet disagrees with me. Thanks for playing though.

I will say this though, there is one thing I do know and that is the nature of bureaucrats and academics. They both love data, data of all types; no matter how seemingly inocuous, but only if that data is good/useful to them. A list of who buys a book like the Quran is fucking useless in and of itself, heck even combined with a lot of other information. So many people buy it for so many different reason that having such a list would be worthless from the perspective of profiling/intelligence gathering. Tons of people, including myself , have purchased everything from the Quran to the Communist Manifesto, for an insanely wide range of reasons. You would have a massive list of people who are believeres (ranging from the casual to the fanatical) as well as those who have purely intellectual intentions (once again varying from joe schmoe to a doctoral student). It simply doesn't provide useful data, unless the topic your are studying is related to book sales/marketing.

This is without getting into the potential ethical, legal, and political implications of maintaining such a list. If a group like the ACLU were to find out they would make such stink that it would contaminate the data (if one were to assume that such data were useful).
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's two.  
Getting your quota in early this month.  

I see where this is going, and it's time for me to move on

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Technically it's not a Koran if it's not in Arabic.

This has not been true for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's two.  

Wow TBK, really wearing out that ban button tonight aren't we.

JK, please don't ban me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Edited, because I'm not sure what we're locking accounts for anymore these days.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out who the book burners have been throughout history.  I would not want to be associated with them.  

I am not worried about him pissing off anyone.  I do think it is rather childish.  But that is his decision.

"Also, many of those who had practiced magic brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted up the value of them, and it totaled fifty thousand pieces of silver." (Acts 19:19, NKJV)

You wouldn't want to be associated with those christians in the book of Acts?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1. I don't want to have any part in anything that might cause an upsurge in insurgent attacks. Also, its not a very 'Religious' thing to do no matter which book you follow.

How else will the feeble and weak show how tough they are?  You never see military men or women doing this nonsense.  Coincidence?  I think not.  

What is it with people bringing common sense and logic into GD tonight?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Also, many of those who had practiced magic brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted up the value of them, and it totaled fifty thousand pieces of silver." (Acts 19:19, NKJV)

Nice try, but not going to work.  

Post count and join date  noted.  I see someone is scared and broke out a troll account.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Koran has as much to do with 9/11 as the bible has to do with my missing rib.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a difference between being free to do something and it being a wise decision.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you of Persian descent?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he was alluding to those shown in the picture I posted earlier. Protip: if you don't recognize the pic the URL/title should give you a clue.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not want any record of a download.  There is a federal watch list, and you do not screw with the feds if you value your lifestyle.

Then why the fuck are you posting a thread asking where to find one???

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anybody?

Tread lightly, COC will not tolerate what you're thinking.

Quoted:
That's two.  

Called it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, in that case, walk into the nearest mosque and ask for one.
They hand them out like Bibles.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The validity of your original statement is going to depend upon which sect of Islam you are talking about and who specifically is doing the answering. And I don't mean that on a Sunni/Shia level, rather much smaller one. Islam, much like Christianity, has followers that are extremely radical to almost non-observant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he still had the ability to post I would bet he would be telling us that will immediately get you on a watch list as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody?

Quoted:

That's two.  

Called it.
I wonder who the two on the receiving end of the ole ban hammer were?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#29]
When I was growing up, my dad never really displayed any Islamic stuff (he was a Muslim).  However, when he married his crazy white American wife who converted from Catholicism to Islam "because Islam was more understanding that Catholicism," it was really annoying.  She started preaching the wonders of Islam (and Jewish mysticism––she didn't understand that they were two very separate religions), and putting up religious symbols.  She put up one of those embellished gold(-ish) plates with the "there is one God and Mohammad is his prophet" writing (and other symbolism from the Koran).  She would remind me every time I came over that non-Muslims aren't supposed to touch it.  When she'd turn her back, I'd poke it, and my dad would start laughing and get mad at me (for possibly getting him in trouble with crazy).

They had a condo at the beach that my friends and I would use every once in a while.  In their bedroom was another one of these plates (well, really a plaque, I don't know why I keep thinking "plate").  After a few years, it became thoughtless tradition to walk in, touch the plaque, and go about my business.

I cannot stand the iconography in Islam.  There are so many things non-Muslims aren't allowed to see, touch, etc.  My dad thought it was really stupid.  So much so he wanted to bring me on his hajj if he ever had the chance (he never did have the chance).  Yeah, I'm a Christian, but I'm also Persian with a fairly extensive background in Islam (secular sufism), so I could get in.  Lots of non-Muslims have been through Mecca, heh (my understanding is mostly Persians, and out of spite).

So burn the Koran––my dad would think it's pretty dumb, but he also would not care since it wasn't his copy.  His wife would have a heart attack, but then I'd remind her that Islam is so understanding.  People need to loosen up about this stuff.  If America existed in a vacuum, no one would care.

The Islamic world cares.  Why?  Because the vast majority of them are only educated in Islam––or at least the brand of Islam their local mullah likes the best.  Would they kill over this?  Sure.  Are the people who would kill over this already trying to kill Americans overseas?  Of course they are.

Again, I think burning the Koran (or any holy book) is dumb.  It is, however, one's indisputable God-given right protected by the Constitution.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  So, yeah, I subscribe to the Shia fatwahs regarding what is and is not a true Koran (even though I'm not a Muslim).
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he still had the ability to post I would bet he would be telling us that will immediately get you on a watch list as well.

I own a Koran and so did Thomas Jefferson.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anybody?

Quoted:
That's two.  

Called it.
I wonder who the two on the receiving end of the ole ban hammer were?

If I had to guess I would say the OP for his obvious trolling by implying that he intended to burn a Quran (not to mention the conspiracy nonsense, although that is usually tolerated to a degree) and distributor of pain for claiming that Islam is, " a Satanic cult". That last one is a pretty obvious COC violation. If someone said that shit about Christianity or Judaism, I'm guessing such BS wouldn't be tolerated either. Not to mention there would be a much greater stink here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Thump that chest OP.  You're such a badass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When I was growing up, my dad never really displayed any Islamic stuff (he was a Muslim).  However, when he married his crazy white American wife who converted from Catholicism to Islam "because Islam was more understanding that Catholicism," it was really annoying.  She started preaching the wonders of Islam (and Jewish mysticism––she didn't understand that they were two very separate religions), and putting up religious symbols.  She put up one of those embellished gold(-ish) plates with the "there is one God and Mohammad is his prophet" writing (and other symbolism from the Koran).  She would remind me every time I came over that non-Muslims aren't supposed to touch it.  When she'd turn her back, I'd poke it, and my dad would start laughing and get mad at me (for possibly getting him in trouble with crazy).

They had a condo at the beach that my friends and I would use every once in a while.  In their bedroom was another one of these plates (well, really a plaque, I don't know why I keep thinking "plate").  After a few years, it became thoughtless tradition to walk in, touch the plaque, and go about my business.

I cannot stand the iconography in Islam.  There are so many things non-Muslims aren't allowed to see, touch, etc.  My dad thought it was really stupid.  So much so he wanted to bring me on his hajj if he ever had the chance (he never did have the chance).  Yeah, I'm a Christian, but I'm also Persian with a fairly extensive background in Islam (secular sufism), so I could get in.  Lots of non-Muslims have been through Mecca, heh (my understanding is mostly Persians, and out of spite).

So burn the Koran––my dad would think it's pretty dumb, but he's also not care since it wasn't his copy.  His wife would have a heart attack, but then I'd remind her that Islam is so understanding.  People need to loosen up about this stuff.  If America existed in a vacuum, no one would care.

The Islamic world cares.  Why?  Because the vast majority of them are only educated in Islam––or at least the brand of Islam their local mullah likes the best.  Would they kill over this?  Sure.  Would the people who would kill over this already trying to kill Americans overseas?  Of course they are.

Again, I think burning the Koran (or any holy book) is dumb.  It is, however, one's indisputable God-given right protected by the Constitution.

I would like to subscribe to your news letter.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a Koran and so did Thomas Jefferson.

I have in the past as well (as an ardent agnostic, as oxymoronic as that sounds), and am also aware of that fact. Hence my assertion that the OP is, indeed, bashit crazy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The validity of your original statement is going to depend upon which sect of Islam you are talking about and who specifically is doing the answering. And I don't mean that on a Sunni/Shia level, rather much smaller one. Islam, much like Christianity, has followers that are extremely radical to almost non-observant.

I understand that.  My statement was based on observation of village Mullahs in Afghanistan who would work from memorization of Arabic Korans.  Some of those guys can't read in any language, and don't speak Arabic, so the potential for "interpretation" is pretty high.  I've also understood that Arabs generally consider that since God, in their belief, revealed the Koran in Arabic, translations are not the correct revealed word of God.  Persian Iranians, who are often more sophisticated, I understand have accepted and used translations for centuries.  I could be wrong about that, since I learned a lot of it through terps and some of those guys are kind of shakey.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So burn the Koran––my dad would think it's pretty dumb, but he's also not care since it wasn't his copy.  His wife would have a heart attack, but then I'd remind her that Islam is so understanding.  People need to loosen up about this stuff.  If America existed in a vacuum, no one would care.

The Islamic world cares.  Why?  Because the vast majority of them are only educated in Islam––or at least the brand of Islam their local mullah likes the best.  Would they kill over this?  Sure.  Would the people who would kill over this already trying to kill Americans overseas?  Of course they are.

I would like to subscribe to your news letter.

At the risk of sounding like I leg humper, I agree that it was a good post.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thump that chest OP.  You're such a badass.

Don't forget that his E-penis is fucking HUGE too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Your money. Personally I'd rather buy a couple boxes of ammo than play nazi, but hey, knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand that.  My statement was based on observation of village Mullahs in Afghanistan who would work from memorization of Arabic Korans.  Some of those guys can't read in any language, and don't speak Arabic, so the potential for "interpretation" is pretty high.  I've also understood that Arabs generally consider that since God, in their belief, revealed the Koran in Arabic, translations are not the correct revealed word of God.  Persian Iranians, who are often more sophisticated, I understand have accepted and used translations for centuries.  I could be wrong about that, since I learned a lot of it through terps and some of those guys are kind of shakey.

That is interesting.  I am friends with couple of Pakistani Air Force officers who I know are Muslim.  When I get a chance, I will ask them about the language of the Koran they use.  They are both very open about discussing religion and I have had many interesting conversations with them.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone that wants to burn a Koran is just an ignorant dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#43]
wana be relay confused? read the thing.

on the next episode of soap....................
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#44]
As a christian, I would not advocate buying a koran just to burn it.  In that case you would be giving your money to the book company who prints them and making them a profit which could actually increase the number of korans in existence.  The only reason I see from a christian standpoint to burn a koran is if you were a converted muslim and wanted to burn your own koran which is your own property and you don't want anyone else to read it.  This still would be a pointless exercise since a koran is available for free in any library or online, so you would have almost no affect on the availability of the koran to the public, but if you did burn it, I believe you would be acting in accordance with God's will by burning it in private or shredding it.  This is a hard question and I could be wrong but that is my initial judgment on the matter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'm don't know if I'm in the minority or not here, but it seems to me like this whole burning books idea is just fucking stupid. Sounds kinda communist to me, whether you agree with the books content or not.

Yep.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To say that, in general, Sunni Arabs or people of that background tend to believe in a Arabic only Quran would probable be true, as would the arguement that rural Sunni tend to be less tolerant of of non-Arabic translations than urbanites would probably be true as well. Which is kind of ironic if you think about it, because as you said many cannot read any language, let alone Arabic. I don't have the data in front of me to say 100%, but I'm not disagreeing with you. I was just trying to say that its hard to make absolute generalizations about individual in such a diverse group, at least with any degree of certainty.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone that wants to burn a Koran is just an ignorant dumbass.

I also used to cough on my step-mom's Koran.  I doubt she once opened it, but she was crazy, so it was enjoyable.  My dad would tell me not to be childish, but he'd laugh anyway.  He'd say, "what if she did that to your Bible?"  "Well, dad, that's why it's in a case and also not on display in the middle of your house."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So burn the Koran––my dad would think it's pretty dumb, but he also would not care since it wasn't his copy.  His wife would have a heart attack, but then I'd remind her that Islam is so understanding.  People need to loosen up about this stuff.  If America existed in a vacuum, no one would care.

The Islamic world cares.  Why?  Because the vast majority of them are only educated in Islam––or at least the brand of Islam their local mullah likes the best.  Would they kill over this?  Sure.  Are the people who would kill over this already trying to kill Americans overseas?  Of course they are.

On that topic, I knew an Afghan guy that was a body guard for a Provincial Governor in Afghanistan.  He called himself Rambo and like to affect a lot of US style mannersims.  He wore a metal pin with enamel paint that portrayed an AK-47, and a white Taliban flag with the Muslim creed on it in gold lettering.  I really wanted that little Taliban pin, but I couldn't get him to give it up.  Finally figured out that he didn't want to give the pin with the "There is only one God..." text on it to a non-Muslim.  The funny part is that this dude was about as religious as my boot, he was always talking shit about drinking, smoking pot, smoking opium and banging whores in Kabul and J-Bad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is interesting.  I am friends with couple of Pakistani Air Force officers who I know are Muslim.  When I get a chance, I will ask them about the language of the Koran they use.  They are both very open about discussing religion and I have had many interesting conversations with them.  

From what I know of the Pakistani military if they are officers they are probaly well off (relatively) economically speaking and are probably urbanites, but since Pakistan in is majority Sunni it could go either way. If I had to bet I would say they will probably tell you that their religious leader says Arabic is the legit version, but that they personally don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn, I've seen GseriesFal threads with less WTF in them than this one.  Religion really brings out the crazy in some folks.

Burning religious books is, IMO, pointless and a waste of money.  Find a more productive way to support your country.  Something like helping to get a liberal voted out of office.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top