Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 bitches.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the OP did ok. Quiet laws are about 9pm, give or take. It's one thing to have music, it's another to have it blaring across a PA system. OP tried to make contact, but couldn't see the owner through the gaggle of people. How about the dickhead (the guy having the party) showing a little respect for his neighbors? I guess that would be too much to ask.

Noise ordinances are usually around 11 PM.

That's why I said "give or take".  Not sure about where I am now (the noise laws, not my location ), but my last town it was 9pm.  Had a dickhead neighbor that had a band that would blare his music so loud that it could be heard  several blocks away.  This happened alot, until I called the po-po and had him cited.  Things quieted down after that

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Excessive noise from a neighbor that is not your next door, and not one you normally talk to, should be dealt with using an anonymous phone call to the non-emergency line of the local PD.

what if all his neighbors were at the party and he was the only one not invited

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Every time you see him from now on, stop whatever it is that you are doing, and stare at him until he either leaves or goes inside.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the support

Like I said, I don't care if he was having a party but god damn I hate Billy Joel songs being bolted out by drunk chicks! I would have handled it a bit different if I were him in warning my neighbors first. I learned my lesson as a young man...if you are going to have a party invite the neighbors or warn them ahead of time, then they can't bitch.

For those note reading the post or maby I was not clear, the busy-body neighbor was not his wife but rather another neighbor from directly across the street.

I agree with do what the hell you want on your property as long as it doesn't effect me or anybody else. I don't care if you paint your house purple, don't cut your grass, whatever as I go inside, close the door and it doesn't effect me. But if you have noise that intrudes into my house that does effect me.

Quoted:
I think the OP did ok.  Quiet laws are about 9pm, give or take.  It's one thing to have music, it's another to have it blaring across a PA system.  OP tried to make contact, but couldn't see the owner through the gaggle of people.  How about the dickhead (the guy having the party) showing a little respect for his neighbors?  I guess that would be too much to ask.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and on a serious note, you done fucked up. Excessive noise from a neighbor that is not your next door, and not one you normally talk to, should be dealt with using an anonymous phone call to the non-emergency line of the local PD.

This is why neighbor wars usually begin.

If you'd just talk to somebody to begin with and be reasonable, this probably wouldn't be an issue.

Look, if you try to talk with them later, after the party is over, and everyone's sober, this approach works.

However, if you try to talk to them WHILE they're drunk and rowdy, no matter how reasonable you are, there's a high chance that the booze is fueling their bravado, and they WILL be assholes to you, even after they sober up. THAT is how neighbor wars begin.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excessive noise from a neighbor that is not your next door, and not one you normally talk to, should be dealt with using an anonymous phone call to the non-emergency line of the local PD.

That would be a clue.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the support

Like I said, I don't care if he was having a party but god damn I hate Billy Joel songs being bolted out by drunk chicks! I would have handled it a bit different if I were him in warning my neighbors first. I learned my lesson as a young man...if you are going to have a party invite the neighbors or warn them ahead of time, then they can't bitch.

For those note reading the post or maby I was not clear, the busy-body neighbor was not his wife but rather another neighbor from directly across the street.

I agree with do what the hell you want on your property as long as it doesn't effect me or anybody else. I don't care if you paint your house purple, don't cut your grass, whatever as I go inside, close the door and it doesn't effect me. But if you have noise that intrudes into my house that does effect me.

Quoted:
I think the OP did ok.  Quiet laws are about 9pm, give or take.  It's one thing to have music, it's another to have it blaring across a PA system.  OP tried to make contact, but couldn't see the owner through the gaggle of people.  How about the dickhead (the guy having the party) showing a little respect for his neighbors?  I guess that would be too much to ask.

If you can see your neighbors house you give up all rights to bitch about noise.  Hide behind ordinances all you want, if you valued quiet you'd move out of the damned burbs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Some people are not quite sane and not quite civilized, and until they self destruct on their own accord it can be dangerous to be around them.  Tread lightly.

The first week I moved into this house I had to call the police on a neighbor.  I was here four fucking days and was blasted out of bed at midnight by a party in the back yard of the neighbor behind me.  The lots are big here so his patio was a good hundred yards or more from me.  He dragged his stereo system outside and his homies were grooving to tunes played at full volume, to the point where everything was distorted so much you couldn't tell what the music was.  My walls were vibrating and the windows rattling in the frames.  Stuff in the kitchen cabinets was rattling and clinking together.

Months later I was talking to my next door neighbor over the fence and he told me that guy had talked to him over the back fence and said something like "I guess the new guy don't like music..........".

The idiot had no comprehension at all that he had done anything wrong before, during, and after.  No idea at all about the concept of a noise disturbance late at night while people were trying to sleep.

They're not all sane and they're not all civilized.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Should have been washing your car

930 , really ??? 11 is about the earliest I would say something to a neighbor unless ppl are spilling over onto my property . Hell I got some mexicians down the street that party every week , Im tempted to get a 6 pack of corona and walk down there lol  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Not invited and wouldn't have gone if invited. Several of the neighbors were there and several were not. I am an adult and do not feel slighted at all by not being invited to a family event of people I don't know. As a matter of fact, I prefer not to be invited as then I do not have to make an excuse for not coming.

Once again, I could not find the neighbor that night, hell he might have been in the house or something for all I know.

Did not interact or even get noticed by anybody other than the busy-body neighbor

Threatening interaction was two days after the party and I assume he was sober by then

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be a clue.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]
You fucked up. Now you are on a neighbors shit list for basically nothing. Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Here in the South were everyone gets along except for a few northern implants we give our neighbors a free pass until midnight or later.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't care if I'm on his shit list but apparently I made his hit list

To those bitching about 9:30 - 9:45, I am curious how many of them have or had small children? It really changes your perspective when you are sleeping a few hours at a time every night and fighting to get them down so you can have a slight reprive. Just saying it changes your perspective a bit.

Like I said, I have been there and done my fair share of raising hell back in the day, that's how I learned to let people know what to expect. It prevents alot of shit.

Quoted:
You fucked up. Now you are on a neighbors shit list for basically nothing. Have fun.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the way you added to the problem by talking to the busybody neighbor.

A+ for the drama

P.S. pics of wife
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

To those bitching about 9:30 - 9:45, I am curious how many of them have or had small children? It really changes your perspective when you are sleeping a few hours at a time every night and fighting to get them down so you can have a slight reprive. Just saying it changes your perspective a bit.

Like I said, I have been there and done my fair share of raising hell back in the day, that's how I learned to let people know what to expect. It prevents alot of shit.

Quoted:

I have a kid and neighbors. Sometimes you have to let your neighbors cut loose. It pays in spades. But you go ahead and take the path of most resistance.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I am sure many of you are wondering what I would do in this situation.

If I am not invited to the party, I call Code Enforcement even if it's not that loud, in fact I did that last July.

Neighbors know that if there is a party they better invite me plus it gives me a reason to snoop around their property to look for other code violations that I can use against them later if they decide to tick me off.

Lets just put it this way I never have to worry about the neighbors threatening me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am sure many of you are wondering what I would do in this situation.

If I am not invited to the party, I call Code Enforcement even if it's not that loud, in fact I did that last July.

Neighbors know that if there is a party they better invite me plus it gives me a reason to snoop around their property to look for other code violations that I can use against them later if they decide to tick me off.

Lets just put it this way I never have to worry about the neighbors threatening me.

is there ever a situation where you dont call code enforcement?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Saiga 12
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I think is really sad is that hardly anyone has said anything about the neighbor showing a little respect for his neighbors.  If the guy knew he was going to have a shin-dig with 200+ people why didn't he rent a pavillion at some public park or go somewhere that's more appropriate?  Why does his "right" to a party trump his neighbors peace and quiet?  Just because it's the end of summer doesn't make what he did right.  I've seen quite a few threads on here about how people nowadays have the "me" attitude.  The responses I've read on here make me think that some of those people posted here tonight.  "Fuck it!  I want a party...and a loud speaker!    What?  The neighbors?  Aw, fuck them...they can deal with it, because it's all about "me", or rather "you".  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#21]
You done fucked up.

The guy has one (1) large party on a holiday weekend that shut down before most noise ordinances go into effect and you called the cops on him. Thats a dick move. I don't care about the kid or cranky wife. Even if you had been invited and warned it sounds like she would have been pissed anyway.

They own a house too, and if they are otherwise decent people you gotta let them cut loose with the crazy party. Take one for the team and allow them their fun, otherwise you get this situation. Lots of bad blood for nothing. You didn't even get in contact with the guy before calling the popo. He has every right to be pissed about you ruining a killer 50th b-day party, but he crossed the line with the threats.

Lay low for a while to let both yourselves cool off and become rational, if he seems like decent people afterwards try to make peace with a case of beer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think you need to go to your neighbor and have him join Arfcom so we can hear his side of the story.

Sorry about that OP.  Next time I'll invite you so you don't feel so left out.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Id be bitching at busybody.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think you need to go to your neighbor and have him join Arfcom so we can hear his side of the story.

Sorry about that OP.  Next time I'll invite you so you don't feel so left out.

"This crazy guy just showed up at my party. I was in fear for my life."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If this was the first issue with noise from your neighbors, wifey should myob.

This is the correct answer and you should have told her so in a nice way even if you got some heat for it.

If that little bit of info she needed to know would have been to much for her to handle you should start setting up for an eject cause your marriage isn't as strong as you think it is.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I think is really sad is that hardly anyone has said anything about the neighbor showing a little respect for his neighbors.  If the guy knew he was going to have a shin-dig with 200+ people why didn't he rent a pavillion at some public park or go somewhere that's more appropriate?  Why does his "right" to a party trump his neighbors peace and quiet?  Just because it's the end of summer doesn't make what he did right.  I've seen quite a few threads on here about how people nowadays have the "me" attitude.  The responses I've read on here make me think that some of those people posted here tonight.  "Fuck it!  I want a party...and a loud speaker!    What?  The neighbors?  Aw, fuck them...they can deal with it, because it's all about "me", or rather "you".  

You are only hearing one side.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I've read both sides.  Respect is a two way street.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No you haven't. But don't let that get in your way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Bush's fault!

I would find a way to be FRIENDS with him...kinda.

Bring a few beers over and apologize for ANYTHING that seems right, even though no apologies are needed.

See where it goes from there.

Remember. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok Einstein.  Fill in what I missed.  Read the other replies that I made.  I'm quite aware of both sides.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Time for a beer summit or some similar reconciliation.
Beware of busy bodies!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you're training your kids to be light sleepers then the only thing I can say is that you're in a hell of your own creation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok Einstein.  Fill in what I missed.  Read the other replies that I made.  I'm quite aware of both sides.  

You're not hearing the neighbors side skippy.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know, it was labor day weekend, so I don't have a problem with them being noisy at that time of night.  Though if I was going to have 100 people at a party drinking and raising hell, I would let everyone on the block know just to avoid any problems.

Now moving onto the confrontation.  He was bold enough to come to your house and make implied death threats to you if you ever step on his property.  That is not a rational move.  A rational person would either ignore you or come over and say something like, "Sorry about the noise the other night, but I wish you would have come to me about it."

You need to make sure this is not something that is going to escalate.  I would suggest calling him and admitting you should have talked to him before the cops were called, but you can't have threats being made against you while you have a family to protect.  If he persists in making the implied death threats, file a police report.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Earlie Cuyler "here is that weed i been growing on my property to help with your wifes bitchin and all" Earlie Cuyler
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[facepalm] You're right.  So do us both a favor.  Hop on down to the OP's neighborhood and get the neighbor to log on and give his side, ok?  thanks  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Your wife called the cops?  And you were OK with that?  Who runs that household?  

He threatened your life, and then there was some small talk?  How do you let that pass?  

Why did you even get on here and post...shouldn't we be talking to your wife?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I wouldn't have went over there. It's easier to just call the cops from the get go.  

I personally wouldn't have called the cops but if the noise way loud enough to keep you up three houses down then they probably were breaking some noise ordinances and I see no problem with complaining to the police.  I doubt anyone here would be criticizing OP if it was a gangsta party with live rappers talking bout bangin in the hood while everybody did the crip walk in the front yard.

Be a good neighbor and shut the fuck up at night.  Just because you aren't asleep doesn't mean that someone else isn't tring to. You want to have a concert then rent a fucking venue or get property with more space  between you and your neighbors. Otherwise don't be pissed off when you get told by the police to turn it down.  At the very least inform all your neighbors within earshot of the noise and sweet talk them a bit so they don't mind and expect it.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[facepalm] You're right.  So do us both a favor.  Hop on down to the OP's neighborhood and get the neighbor to log on and give his side, ok?  thanks  

Sure thing friend.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#40]
9:30???  Real parties haven't even started yet...calling the cops is a shitty move, especially that early.  Unless they're having these shindigs every weekend, they should never have been called, even at the crazy hour of...11:00!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#41]
WTF?...1 loud party in 4 years and you call the cops on your neighbor? That's wrong....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I would have waited until at least 10:30 or 11:00 before going over and asking for them to quiet down.

You would be wrong then. He is a homeowner who has a right to sleep at night and to be able to put his kids down to sleep at night without hearing stupidly loud music. I don't have kids so I tolerate loud noises but he in no way has to tolerate it.......but on the other hand unless he involves the police he has no right to assume they will quiet down because wifey is mad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would have waited until at least 10:30 or 11:00 before going over and asking for them to quiet down.

You would be wrong then. He is a homeowner who has a right to sleep at night and to be able to put his kids down to sleep at night without hearing stupidly loud music. I don't have kids so I tolerate loud noises but he in no way has to tolerate it.......but on the other hand unless he involves the police he has no right to assume they will quiet down because wifey is mad.

Nope but he has to tolerate his neighbors.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Not that it's relevant to the story but here's a few details about my son...

He was born at 27 weeks gestation at 2lbs 6oz and had an intraventricular bleed that led to hydrocephaly and him having emergent brain surgery twice within his first month of life. He spent 2.5 months in a NICU and thank God has been doing pretty well since then with no lung, GI or heart isues. Only time will tell if he is going to have cerebral palsey or developmental delays.

I love that kid so much and he has been through so much already. I don't fault him for any issues he may have with falling asleep and I would do anything to look out for him, protect him and try and make his life a little easier right now. No offense taken and none returned but not really a thread about parenting advice.

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're training your kids to be light sleepers then the only thing I can say is that you're in a hell of your own creation.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wouldn't have went over there. It's easier to just call the cops from the get go.  

I personally wouldn't have called the cops but if the noise way loud enough to keep you up three houses down then they probably were breaking some noise ordinances and I see no problem with complaining to the police.  I doubt anyone here would be criticizing OP if it was a gangsta party with live rappers talking bout bangin in the hood while everybody did the crip walk in the front yard.

Be a good neighbor and shut the fuck up at night.  Just because you aren't asleep doesn't mean that someone else isn't tring to. You want to have a concert then rent a fucking venue or get property with more space  between you and your neighbors. Otherwise don't be pissed off when you get told by the police to turn it down.  At the very least inform all your neighbors within earshot of the noise and sweet talk them a bit so they don't mind and expect it.  

Damn, it was 9:30...  If it barely ever happens just let it go, it's not that hard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like your wife is stressed and she's taking it out on your neighbors. "They're having fun!? How dare they! I must call the authorities!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, it was 9:30...  If it barely ever happens just let it go, it's not that hard.

for me i would let it go. Im just stating that if i really wanted to sleep i would have every right to call the police. The neighbor knows how fucking loud he is being.  a pa concert you can hear inside a house three doors down across the street is not an average amount of noise for a party.  I would probably do nothing because it was a one time thing and i never sleep but if i really wanted to go to sleep at that moment then fuck it. Not like the cops are going to arrest the guy and he will sre as fuck turn it down.  

To me having a party that loud and expecting everone to just deal with it isn't much different than me dumping my garbage on my next door neighbors lawn knowing it may piss him off and expecting him to just deal with it since it is only one time.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Move to the country. Neighbors usually suck and are rude. Its 10pm here  and I wouldnt call my buddies at the PD until it was at least 10:30.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#49]
So your neighbor of several years has a party during a holiday weekend that didn't even go beyond 11 pm and you and your wife go all apeshit?  Thanks for not being my neighbor!  

I notice several posters suggesting you kick the neighbor's ass but aren't they assuming you can?  It sounds like you wouldn't even stand a chance against your wife...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Thank you, somebody sees my point at least.

I tired to do the neighborly thing by going over there. I work nights and sleep odd hours and have never complained to anybody about shit they do during hours where people are normaly awake. I have had bigger parties like that and have rented places to hold them. It is a neighborhood where everybody owns their homes so it's not like any of us are going anywhere anytime soon.

I love the people who talk shit about "who wears the pants" etc etc. I don't really care! We both have similar jobs with similar pay. I work nights so I am Mr Mom during the day, I cook, I clean, I watch the kid. I have learned these skills while serving 6 years in the military and then living on my own for many more years. I do not need to assert my manhood in our relationship and do not feel threatened by it in any way. I would not have called the cops and I don't think she would have had we any idea of what time this shindig might end.

Have some common decency and let people know what to expect and if it's a problem for any of them knock it off. I don't care what I am doing or what time of the day it is, if I were mowing the grass at 2:00 in the afternoon and somebody came over and asked me to stop because they are trying to sleep or didn't feel well I would. I did try and make direct contact with the guy but fell short in that I wasn't going to stand around forever hoping I would see him and recognize him walking by and I sure wasn't gonna go wondering into his house looking for him.

My point in posting this was rather his heightened and insane response to things. As I mentioned, I don't even know if the cops showed up or got out of the car. No mention was made of it. His response was seemingly all about the interaction I had with another neighbor in asking if she knew what time it might end. That is all.

Quoted:

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top