Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 6:46:56 PM EDT
So My maastiff wanted outside bad so I open the door and let him out,sit down to check the latest here and catch a wiff of the skunk I hop up and run to the door and just as I get their I hear the yelp. So I know what happened but my brain is pretending it just cant be.
He runs up to the door and the smell knocks me over he took the full shot right to the face, and if you have never been their let me tell you it is vile.You think a skunk in the road stinks this is a whole new level of awfull.
So I did the tommato juice bath (you dont want to know how many bottle it takes to soak a 200lb mastiff) but man the stink is still their. Hes in the barn for till further notice but how the hell do I get ride of the stench on him. Any advice on how long this fucking horror show will last and the best way to get it off of him asap.

Word of advice to anyone that has not been thru this take a quick wiff outside before you let the dog out it could save you from a big big  headache.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Mouthwash and hydrogen peroxide. Seriously, it works. Just keep washing over and over and over.....................
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Boxers kill 'em anyways....then yelp...'cause they be blinded...and have a green tongue. Look sorta like this..  except the tongue is green too
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard vinegar works .... I've never tried it though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a small bit of shampoo. The hydrogen peroxide and baking soda will neutralize most of the odor. The shampoo makes it easier to get onto the dog and stay long enough to work.

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/skunk.html

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
okay will try in the morning . thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The same thing happened to my bullmastiff a few years ago. And man, you sure are spot on about the smell. Getting a whiff of skunk from a distance is 1000x less potent than being near ground zero. LOL. It is as overpowering as those ammonia inhalants. It took days of scrubbing him to get rid of that smell.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]

at least he didn't get inside your house.  a bunch of years ago an ex gf's dog  came back inside her parents house (dog door) while i was there.   it didn't smell like skunk at first, kinda like really strong burnt toast then after a few minutes it hit, boy that was bad.  they had to hire a company to get the smell out.  i left as soon as we found out the smell was a skunk.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Dishsoap, Peroxide and Baking Soda
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My American Bulldog got sprayed a while back.
I opened the back door because I could smell the skunk. I lookes over and there was my dog sitting with his back to me and his head lowered.
I told him " I'll bet you don't mess with one of those again."
He just turns and looks at me like "F*ck you"
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Oppps. That won't be fun to get rid of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top