Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:14:15 PM EDT
Say there was a simple medical procedure, or even better yet, a pharmaceutical way to improve your night vision.  However, the drawback is that you lose your daylight vision proportionally to the amount of night vision you gain.

You're probably also going to lose some color vibrance.

However, at the most extreme levels, a person could see better than the latest night vision gear.  Night time would be your new daytime.  

Also, it would be difficult to reverse without scarring and possible total loss of vision.  Interesting proposition but it would be a tough choice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, sounds expensive and for the price I could just buy a good night vision setup.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm quite fond of my good day time vision. I'd have to be given a trial period to decide.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm good.  Losing regular vision isn't worth not having to turn on a light to take a piss in the middle of the night.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nope, sounds expensive and for the price I could just buy a good night vision setup.

yeah pass if it costs more then 20 menthol kools.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd got for cybernetic eyes instead.  Thermal Imaging and telescopic zoom FTW.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By VBC:  

Interesting proposition but it would be a tough choice.

Do you plan on becoming a coyote or vampire?  Moving to extreme latitudes?  I'm guessing even Solid Snake spends more time awake during daylight than not.  

The concept of magnifying ambient light or illuminating objects in the dark also seems easier to grasp and implement than restoring totally fucked vision in the light.  Chicks you're stalking won't see your NODs outside their window in the dark, but they will see your DODs on the street during day.  

Choice doesn't strike me as particularly tough. Normal eyes please.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't stand bright daylight without sunglasses or a whole lotta squinting, but my night vision's pretty darn good once i get acclimated... Hunting, i'll usually walk in the woods and get up a tree by moonlight if i've been there before...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#10]
No.  I might accept some loss of day time vision for a mild night vision improvement.  Say 10%.  That is, if you're talking about light gathering ability only, and not acuity; meaning, I would accept it appearing 10% "darker" during light for it to appear 10% "lighter" during night.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm 54 and I can't even properly see any of the iron sights on any of my firearms - day or night!
What I'd give to have my youth sight back...
Without optical assistance on any of my firearms - I'm screwed.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I would probably say no.

While not as sharp as some animals human vision is, overall, unique and superior to most anything in the animal kingdom. Stereoscopic vision with a very broad range of colors. Excellent depth perception and sense of movement. There are all sorts of Hollywood tech type traits that human eyes possess that nothing else does. I believe our sense of sight is the strongest sense we have.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I've already had lasers shot into my eyes, I don't want to tempt fate twice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#14]
can I do one of each??
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

can I do one of each??

That's the real reason pirates wore patches, right?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope. Being able to see "naturally"(sort of) at night would be cool as hell, but NOT being able to see well in daylight would suck balls.

I'd be down if we had the tech to do it "Pitch Black" style, requiring dark lenses in daylight.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Say there was a simple medical procedure, or even better yet, a pharmaceutical way to improve your night vision.  However, the drawback is that you lose your daylight vision proportionally to the amount of night vision you gain.

You're probably also going to lose some color vibrance.

However, at the most extreme levels, a person could see better than the latest night vision gear.  Night time would be your new daytime.  

Also, it would be difficult to reverse without scarring and possible total loss of vision.  Interesting proposition but it would be a tough choice.

There was a book about this released in 1979.  "The Nighttime Guy" by Tony Kenrick.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
This could be useful if the Mole People decide to make their move...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll take this option. I'd replace all my organic components with biomachinary if it were better developed and more available.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
depeds on what you mean by loss of daytime vision.  I would say yes to losing a little bit of color vision to gain night vision if it wasn't for my job.  Kinda hard to paint cars without good color vision.

And loss in disstance or clarity with day vision i would have to say no.  Bright flashlights work fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I did it. Took an old, but good shooting 12 twist Colt AR, and installed a gen 2 night vision sco e, + a cheek iece to adjust cheek weld......

I know, that s not what you are talking abought, but I have said yes to darkness, and no to light........On one rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd rather just spend the money on a NVG set up. I tend to use my eyes more during the day.

ETA: I wonder what it would take, technologically, to develop contact lenses that help pick up infrared light significantly enough to have effective night vision.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#23]
not the least bit interested in that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I love the nighttime, I generally prefer the dark to a sunny day.  However, as a photographer, I absolutely could not lose the accuracy of my color perception and my daytime vision.  That's kinda a shame, because it would be incredibly awesome to have even better night vision.  As it is now I have pretty damn good night vision, I routinely run 5+ miles at night barefoot without using my flashlight often at all, and I mix up my route so it's not often the same.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
No..I can buy Night vision goggles and have both.. And probably cheaper then a procedure or medication that would improve my vision in the dark
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
depeds on what you mean by loss of daytime vision.  I would say yes to losing a little bit of color vision to gain night vision if it wasn't for my job.  Kinda hard to paint cars without good color vision.

And loss in disstance or clarity with day vision i would have to say no.  Bright flashlights work fine for me.

i have personal experience with this,  i'm blue/green colorblind, which essentially means that I don't see yellow. i guess some of my color cones are replaced by extra light gathering rods, as a result, i have an easier time picking out camo from the surroundings, and i have above average night vision.  i am always confusing orange and pink, green and blue, yellow and white.

i can walk around in the dark without bumping into stuff and i don't need much light to read in the dark,  BUT, green lights look blue, and i can't tell you what kind of spruce tree that is.  my real problem is with yellow though.  yellow is not a bright color, it is an earth tone, looks tan to me.  if you throw a tennis ball into a pile of straw i have to find it by shape.

i have to wear sunglasses in the daytime or i get headaches.  Bright lights at night are absolutely blinding.  These two color bars look about the same to me, my wife and kids say they are WAY different:

i guess since i don't really know what i'm not seeing it's not a big deal,  but it would be nice to see what grass really looks like and not be surrounded by pink pumpkins on halloween.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Giving up day vision? fuck no.

The technology exists to make devices to see great in the dark.  There are no corresponding devices for daylight vision.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take this option. I'd replace all my organic components with biomachinary if it were better developed and more available.

"Your organs mine!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#29]
So basically you'd lose some color, seeing as how light collection rods in your eyes work at night, just wear dark sunglasses and you could see well in both night and day, right?

About the night vision thing, doesn't use if night vision goggles permanently damage your natural night sight?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This could be useful if the Mole People decide to make their move...

Fuckin' A!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Give me 0.1nm to 1cm wavelength perception..

or go home.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck it, i'd just save up for normal Night vision. Gen 3 is expensive but pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Fuck it, i'd just save up for normal Night vision. Gen 3 is expensive but pretty nice.

So where can you get Gen 3, exactly??

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:14:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Give me 0.1nm to 1cm wavelength perception..

or go home.

http://images.quizfarm.com/1108005924geordi.jpg

He upgraded to cybernetic implants.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I actually Have that problem

I can see in the dark (or near dark) but get snow-blind in full sun

I had an eye doctor tell me once it is because my pupils are lighter than normal
if I recall correctly he said it is more prevalent in people with blue eyes.

My wife is the exact opposite, she can see in full sun but not in the dark.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This, I'm waiting or the day when I can go in and say.... Doc I've got this POS bad eye that got screwed up from glacoma, what can you do.
And he'll say.... Well do you want IR ,NV ,or normal HD
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Human night vision is pretty good already compared to most animals.

Dont wan to end up like this guy Caliban from StarFleet
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Around here you can get it from Victor at TNVC.

Not sure where Canadians would get them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This,
I'm waiting or the day when I can go in and say.... Doc I've got this
POS bad eye that got screwed up from glacoma, what can you do.

And he'll say.... Well do you want IR ,NV ,or normal HD

to which you'll answer get thrice!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Around here you can get it from Victor at TNVC.

http://www.fototime.com/118E6753E6AA630/standard.jpg

Not sure where Canadians would get them.

Unless it changed recently, Victor can't export Gen 3 to regular Joe Blows. He needs an end user certificate and departmental letterhead for that. That ain't gonna happen with me...not any time soon anyways.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Well no.  It's dark out and theres nothing to see.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#41]
I bought a PVS-14, so I don't need to pick between day vision or night vision.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Hell No.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#43]
It would have to be a better trade, like seeing through walls and under clothes, stuff like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top