Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 4:38:07 PM EDT

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

Brady Report Blasts Obama for Not Filling Top Leadership Position at ATF
Click on arrow to learn more!

The Brady Center issued the report, Leadership Vacuum, which criticizes the Obama Administration for failing to nominate a Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The year and a half vacancy of the top law enforcement position has seriously weakened efforts to enforce Federal firearms laws, thus jeopardizing public safety and national security.

Link to report:
http://www.bradycenter.org/xshare/reports/fedleg/LeadershipVacuum.pdf
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Toothless old hag of an organization needs a cup of shut the fuck up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure it's not slowing the organization down. We're probably saving $300,000 per year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm...Mayor Daley of Chicago not running for re-election...vacant ATF director position open...Obama anti-gun and from Chicago gets to pick appointment to this position...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought Mike Sullivan was the director,/ and or acting director?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hmmm...Mayor Daley of Chicago not running for re-election...vacant ATF director position open...Obama anti-gun and from Chicago gets to pick appointment to this position...

Oh
Fuck.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
My guess is that anybody Obama really wants in the position would spark an epic confirmation battle, and he's had bigger fish to fry lately.  

The acting director is Kenneth Melson, what's up with him?

Quoted:
I thought Mike Sullivan was the director,/ and or acting director?

Resigned effective the day of Obama's inauguration
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

no way, man.  he's got "supreme court justice" written all over him.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:24:47 AM EDT
[#8]

I'm in the market for a new job. If the money is right I'll think about it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's scary that it makes sense.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My guess is that anybody Obama really wants in the position would spark an epic confirmation battle, and he's had bigger fish to fry lately.  

Good guess.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a fan of Obama.  No assault rifle ban, no ammo tax, hasn't repealed conceal carry, Heller, McDonald on his watch, failed to ban .50 cal.  I'll be voting republican this year thank you very much.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I honestly don't really think Obama gives a shit.

I mean, to start with, the guy doesn't really have any principles or anything he cares about other than himself.  He (like many politicians) takes positions on issues based on what he thinks people want and what will get him votes and what sounds good in a speech, and he's is entirely a political creature.

So I think that because there isn't really much interest in the country for increased gun control, and because a lot of Dems in the House don't have much appetite for it, he doesn't really give a shit what the far left wing in his party thinks.  He used those suckers to get elected, but he's got no loyalty to them at all.

Unless there's some GIANT rash of school shootings with black rifles, or something like tha, or Reid loses his re-election and we get Chuck Schumer as Senate leader, I don't think we'll see any serious push for gun control during Obama's next two years.

nail meet head

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Bottom line is gun control is a polticial loser for the left.  HOWEVER they don't hesitate to nominate dirtbags to SCOTUS who hate the Second Amendment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Brady Center issued the report, Leadership Vacuum, which criticizes the Obama Administration for failing to nominate a Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The year and a half vacancy of the top law enforcement position has seriously weakened efforts to enforce Federal firearms laws, thus jeopardizing public safety and national security.

"The failure to nominate an ATF director for over a year and a half is unprecedented and threatens our nation’s ability to combat gun crime and trafficking that arms criminals and terrorists,” the report states. "No other President has allowed this critical position to remain vacant for so long.”

The organization sent a letter to President Obama on June 10 stressing the importance of naming a Director for ATF, but has not received a response.

In early August, a number of former ATF Directors and agents also sent a letter to the President urging him to nominate a director of this critical agency.
Link to report:

What bad could come from the ATF being shut down altogheter?

That's a serious question. I'm asking.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"The failure to nominate an ATF director for over a year and a half is unprecedented and threatens our nation’s ability to combat gun crime and trafficking that arms criminals and terrorists,” the report states. "No other President has allowed this critical position to remain vacant for so long.”

The organization sent a letter to President Obama on June 10 stressing the importance of naming a Director for ATF, but has not received a response.

In early August, a number of former ATF Directors and agents also sent a letter to the President urging him to nominate a director of this critical agency.

Link to report:

The figuring is that the FBI would take over and then go on a all out crack down.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The figuring is that the FBI would take over and then go on a all out crack down.

You mean the FBI would introduce even more strict regulations about firearms?

Or would they try to handle it in a more professional manner?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the FBI would introduce even more strict regulations about firearms?
Or would they try to handle it in a more professional manner?

Probably both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top