Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2010 1:57:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 2:03:05 PM EDT by fxntime]
Should have fired the teachers.

Oh, and if 39 teachers only cost $400,000.00 total, I'll vote for Obama's second term. That's $10,500.00 each [give or take] and includes pay, benefits and everything else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 2:02:32 PM EDT by nightstalker]
I talked to a teacher whose district was getting furlough days. The teachers wanted the whole week of Thanksgiving to be part of the furlough but for some reason the district said no. I thought it seemed pretty smart but for some reason they want to dribble it out like one day a month so it would seem like punishment!!??

Anyway, it seems like Unions would appreciate furloughs over layoffs....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:01:42 PM EDT
Shit, around these parts a 4 day week is the norm already.

I mean come on the teachers just had 3 months off, can you really expect them to work 5 whole day a week ???

WTF the most weeks my kid goes to school 5 days out of 5 is .....4

at least every 4 week if not more, the teachers have at least one day off.

Pathetic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:02:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fxntime:

"She says total savings has been around $400,000 – enough to save 39 teachers from being laid off."

Unless those teachers were making on 10,500.00 per year then she is lying.

And I can bet you money that the faculty and staff still are required to show up and do nothing on Fridays.

TRG

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:07:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:

"She says total savings has been around $400,000 – enough to save 39 teachers from being laid off."

And I can bet you money that the faculty and staff still are required to show up and do nothing on Fridays.

TRG

Maybe they didn't cut salaries, but just cut other expenses, like heating and cooling and other non-teaching jobs, bus drivers, bus expenses etc. I never saw salaries mentioned, just lay-offs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:10:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:13:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nightstalker:

TRG

Maybe they didn't cut salaries, but just cut other expenses, like heating and cooling and other non-teaching jobs, bus drivers, bus expenses etc. I never saw salaries mentioned, just lay-offs.

If you laid off 39 teachers, you'd have saved millions, schools are very ambiguous when it comes to actually admitting how much money they are spending on non needed items or personal. This is just a way to placate the district voters and insinuate that they are scrimping and saving and that teacher salaries are so low as to stifle any of those that might disagree with the decision.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:14:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nightstalker:

TRG

If you laid off 39 teachers, you'd have saved millions, schools are very ambiguous when it comes to actually admitting how much money they are spending on non needed items or personal. This is just a way to placate the district voters and insinuate that they are scrimping and saving and that teacher salaries are so low as to stifle any of those that might disagree with the decision.

I don't disagree. The math does not add up, and I know they are going to be trying to stop a lynch mob of parents who now must provide a babysitter on Fridays since the little tricycle motors are at home, instead of in school.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:20:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:30:02 PM EDT

I don't disagree. The math does not add up, and I know they are going to be trying to stop a lynch mob of parents who now must provide a babysitter on Fridays since the little tricycle motors are at home, instead of in school.

TRG

yeah that was my first thought too gonna put a crimp on families having to pay for a extra day of daycare
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:30:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
that would be 2 million dollars by alabama saleries

Well, reading, `riting, `rithmatic.

One out of three for you ain't bad.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:32:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:

TRG

yeah that was my first thought too gonna put a crimp on families having to pay for a extra day of daycare

You should hear the cries of pain when schools talk about 'year round' education. Parents think 'Great! I don;t have to see Johnny mon-fri all year!?!?!? Yah-hoo!!!"

Then they find out it means six weeks of school, and a three week vacation, then six weeks of school, then three of vacation.

When the parents suddenly realize that they cannot just send Johnny to Grandma for the summer they freak.

It is socialized babysitting. And I say that from the inside looking out on the problem.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:50:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:54:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:

TRG

You should hear the cries of pain when schools talk about 'year round' education. Parents think 'Great! I don;t have to see Johnny mon-fri all year!?!?!? Yah-hoo!!!"

Then they find out it means six weeks of school, and a three week vacation, then six weeks of school, then three of vacation.

When the parents suddenly realize that they cannot just send Johnny to Grandma for the summer they freak.

It is socialized babysitting. And I say that from the inside looking out on the problem.

TRG

Your not wrong. But I think it has more to do with 2 income households.

Let's face it, most families can't afford for mom to stay home.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:57:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 2:58:21 PM EDT by Chairborne]
The schools here in Hawaii have been having "furlough Fridays" for a long time. No, the teachers aren't at school, and they aren't getting paid either.

http://doe.k12.hi.us/news/furlough/index.htm
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:05:11 PM EDT
Meh.

The Mt Tipton School in AZ has been on 4 days per week for years. Calendar

They made that move long before oabmanomics happened.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:06:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lem:
Meh.

The Mt Tipton School in AZ has been on 4 days per week for years. Calendar

They made that move long before oabmanomics happened.

Sure, for 12 months a year. We're talking about school districts with a 9 month school year going to a 4 day week, big difference.
Top Top