Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 10:54:12 AM EDT
They agree to say the "Pledge of Allegiance" every morning in the Mosque.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think people need your permission to build things
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I still don't agree with it
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

O'Rly???

Then why isn't it built yet?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I think we need a nice Catholic Basilica in Mecca
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Agreed, so many people on AR15 declare to be such freedom loving people, but when it comes time for someone they don't agree with building a church they "won't allow it".  

I don't like the idea of it being built there, but I will support their right to do what they wish on private property.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't believe they have the money yet.  It sure as shit isn't because they're waiting for your permission.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]
If it was a Christian church we would have our commie pinko fags bitching about it

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The beauty of freedom is that not everyone needs to agree.

I'll stand by for the people claiming that exercising the 1st amendment is a muslim victory and/or incompatible with freedom.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If it was a Christian church we would have our commie pinko fags bitching about it

it just takes a couple of ragheads to get the hillbillies all reved up

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm one of those hillbillies
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm one of those hillbillies

no shit
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#13]
So for those of you against the mosque, do you want to legally make it impossible for them to build it, or are you just personally against it (which I would understand).
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Commie pinko fags on Arfcom would be complaining about a Christian church being built on private property?  I think the fact that churches are built every day throughout this country and there aren't any complaints disproves this assertion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They agree to say the "Pledge of Allegiance" every morning in the Mosque.

Would you be okay with them saying "One Nation under Allah" in the pledge, if they said it in Arabic?  The argument would be that it's the Arabic word for "God"

I imagine that for some people, that would make it WORSE, not better.

They have to say one nation under baby Jesus.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commie pinko fags on Arfcom would be complaining about a Christian church being built on private property?  I think the fact that churches are built every day throughout this country and there aren't any complaints disproves this assertion.

Nah, they only defend islam
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#17]
...if they build it 95% bacon!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh hey, it's one of the usual suspects

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess.  I'm an atheist, but you have the right to build all the churches and mosques you want to on private property.  Funny how freedom works.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, they only defend islam

Wait, so are you going back on what you said?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Maybe I'll just open a Barbeque joint next door to the Mosque.
With a big pit of pork over a slow fire all day long...

Imagine the smell of roasting pork blowing through the mosque all day....mmmmmm....the smell of freedom.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess.  I'm an atheist, but you have the right to build all the churches and mosques you want to on private property.  Funny how freedom works.

dont rights come with responsibilities?  you know, like not pissing off the populace you plan on building something in the middle of.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

dont rights come with responsibilities?  you know, like not pissing off the populace you plan on building something in the middle of.  

so if it pisses me off to have a church built down the street, what would you propose happen?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

so if it pisses me off to have a church built down the street, what would you propose happen?

Did that church have a bunch of members kill thousands of people and then want to build their church on the gravesite?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did that church have a bunch of members kill thousands of people and then want to build their church on the gravesite?

Cypher's only criteria was not pissing people off.  The reasons why people are pissed off are irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't like the idea of it being built there, but I will support their right to do what they wish on private property.

Easy to say in Utah, isn't it?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'll stand by for the people claiming that exercising the 1st amendment is a muslim victory and/or incompatible with freedom.

Except for the fact their MO through the ages has been to build mosques on conquered holy ground.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#29]
If Muslim countries allow freedom of religion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's not that they don't have the RIGHT to do it - of course they do.  The issue is that because a lot of people are unhappy with it, the classy and appropriate thing would be to build it somewhere else that is less inflammatory.

Totally agree with you.  But I don't think a lot of people understand they have the RIGHT to do it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, so many people on AR15 declare to be such freedom loving people, but when it comes time for someone they don't agree with building a church they "won't allow it".  

The project creates a dramatic "logic and accountability" problem with a lot of Arfcom.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#32]
IIRC, there is a Church up there that's trying to rebuild after being damaged during 9-11, but it's being held up with tons of regulations and roadblocks..........
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
IIRC, there is a Church up there that's trying to rebuild after being damaged during 9-11, but it's being held up with tons of regulations and roadblocks..........

This has been explained in every major mosque thread so far.  The church is trying to get a new building on a different plot of land.  Nothing is currently preventing them from rebuilding on the land they currently have.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

first post has it!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

O'Rly???

Then why isn't it built yet?

Because it takes more than ten years to build a building in modern new york city?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not that they don't have the RIGHT to do it - of course they do.  The issue is that because a lot of people are unhappy with it, the classy and appropriate thing would be to build it somewhere else that is less inflammatory.

Remember a few years ago when the Catholic church wanted to build a convent or something right next to Auschwitz (or was it Dachau? Anyway, it was one of the nazi death camps).  Now, the Catholic church's intent was purely benign, but some Jewish groups didn't think it was appropriate - and the Catholic Church decided NOT TO BUILD IT there.  Did they have the "right" to do so?  Of course they did, but they decided instead to be sensitive to the concerns of others, even if they did not agree with (or even understand) those concerns.

That's what this whole thing is about to me.  While it would be highly inappropriate to somehoe FORCE these people to not build their center/mosque a few blocks from Ground Zero (and might actually help assholes like Al Qaeda spread their propaganda) - it would be nice if the planners voluntarily decided to locate it somewhere else.  The fact that they seem to have no interest in that is disappointing to me.

It's enlightening me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I think its in bad taste but this is America and the government shouldn't stop them. On the other hand though, I have to ask. Would Bloomberg and friends stop me from putting a hotdog stand on the sidewalk in front or a butchershop that carries pork products next door?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

dont rights come with responsibilities?  you know, like not pissing off the populace ...  

cue the "open carry" debate!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#39]
The only thing you can do is make everyone equal and let the law do its job.

From my understanding there are quite a bit of shenanigans going on with the mosque. I'm talking about NYC banning church permits but allowing this, in that case it's very very bad. However if they got the permits fair and square , I'm ok with it ,regardless of my views on Islam.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top