Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 9:24:05 PM EDT
Have had a charge and projectile in my muzzleloader since last oct, not sure if I should go shoot it/try and shoot it or just say fuckit and leave it as it sits till hunting time arrives.

T
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:46:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:52:23 PM EDT
Storage conditions?

Humidity?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:58:19 PM EDT
Cap it and shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:01:17 PM EDT
in the corner of the closet :-)

found a spider web in the barrel so pulled the breech plug and giving it a good cleaning.

T
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:07:18 PM EDT
You watched that show about the pawn shop, correct?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:14:04 PM EDT
My dad bought a blackpowder revolver from an estate that had been loaded (stought powder charge, ball, wonderlube to prevent chainfire) for over a decade several years ago. Eventually, we took it to the range to cap and try it. All 6 (IIRC) chambers evetnually went off, though one of them needed to be capped/ fired twice. All were more anemic than they should have been- one ball lodged into the cardboard target backer, another bounced off, the rest penetrated well, but recoil was less than it should have been.

I would recommend taking it to the range and shooting it out, cleaning it, and loading fresh for next season (put a balloon over muzzle to keep water out). It would rally suck to lose a nice animal because you went hunting with a charge that the conditions have gotten to.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:16:39 PM EDT
I have unloaded guns that were loaded for over 100 years. One had a full charge of powder and two lead balls. It was a flintlock. I did not fire the gun just pulled the breechplug and unloaded it. A loaded muzzleloader can go off after 100 years if you simply apply fire to the powder. I have shot my own guns after 3 to 4 years with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:42:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kolat:
Have had a charge and projectile in my muzzleloader since last oct, not sure if I should go shoot it/try and shoot it or just say fuckit and leave it as it sits till hunting time arrives.

T

keep your powder dry - its not just a saying.

If its dry its good to go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:10:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fields_Overseer:
Originally Posted By Kolat:

T

keep your powder dry - its not just a saying.

If its dry its good to go.

This.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:14:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 11:20:43 PM EDT by Bob243]
IF it is real black powder, chances are you could prime the pan in 20 years and it would still work fine.. The synthetic crap, maybe good for 3 years at best ( even in an unopened can)

ETA real black powder is good indefinitely. Iv'e heard of people pulling a load from an antique they found and light the powder off to see if it would still work. It did.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:33:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bob243:
IF it is real black powder, chances are you could prime the pan in 20 years and it would still work fine.. The synthetic crap, maybe good for 3 years at best ( even in an unopened can)

I've got Pyrodex that is 15 years old and still works like new.

Top Top