Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:54:09 PM EDT
What and where is the best steak you've ever eaten (not home-cooked)

Mine a medium or medium rare Cowboy Steak (18oz Rib-eye on the bone) from Robert's Steakhouse in Flatonia, Texas
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
DPeacher and Texrdnec pecan smoked some on a pit at my ranch.

Best ever.  Anywhere.   Period.

ETA  Damn, I didn't see the not home cooked stipulation.

Best in a restaraunt was at a place little hole in the wall Mexican food joint in George West, Texas.  The place had 4 tables total.  I had a 12 ounce ribeye that was as good as restaraunt steak can be.  It rivaled (but not beat) home made.

Second best was an Axis steak at a very upscale place in Houston.  Axis cooked rare, I was damned impressed.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Mine a medium or medium rare Cowboy Steak (18oz Rib-eye on the bone) from Robert's Steakhouse in Flatonia, Texas

You easily just ruled out the top 10 steaks I've ever had.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Argentina, 1996. Blew my mind. Completely changed the way I cook, order and eat steak.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Perini Ranch Steakhouse in Buffalo Gap, Texas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Argentina, 1996. Blew my mind. Completely changed the way I cook, order and eat steak.

Esplain.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
kobe beef ftw!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure.....none of the best were at restaurants.

Some of the best were cooked at hunting camps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Esplain.

Prior to that, I'd over-season and over-cook the steak if I was making myself, and I'd tolerate bad cuts and poorly-cooked steaks at restaurants. Since then, I season only with salt and pepper, and if I order medium-rare and it comes out wrong, I send it back. I'm fortunate to have a few friends in the restaurant business, and I know where to get a properly-cooked steak if I'm too lazy to make one myself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Does Prime Rib count?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably this huge NY strip that I made a month or two back.  Dusted it real good, and broiled it perfect.  It was just plain mouth watering good.  I couldn't believe how good it was.  It was like 1lb+, and I just wanted so bad for there to be more of it.

I really don't ever get steak when I go out.  I just can't trust that they'd do it right, and I'd be pissed if it was wrong when I paid $20-30 for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
kobe beef ftw!!!

BHO???

I got my eye on you.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#12]
last month when i was visiting a friend in Ft. Hood.

we stopped at a Saltgrass Steakhouse in Arlington.

had the New York strip... it was
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does Prime Rib count?

If yes, Mad Marys, Flandreau SD.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've seen those restaurants sometimes while traveling?  How are the rest of the offerings?  OK prices or expensive?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#15]
My best steak ever was out at a restaurant one night.  The steak itself was pretty good but the company I had that evening is what made it the best.

Sometimes the social part of the dining experience is as important if not more important than the food you're eating.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Wouldn't say it was THE best, but the Jack Daniel's steaks at TGIFs are pretty fucking good.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
7 acres cafe in Litchfield Ca.  Small little dive we stop at to choke something down until we go to Alturas Ca. medium rare NY strip
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Fogo de Chao or Vic and Anthony's

Probably fogo
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen those restaurants sometimes while traveling?  How are the rest of the offerings?  OK prices or expensive?

~$20 a plate.  The dishes tend to be well prepared for the price. Nothing fancy, just good food.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ate at the one in San Marcos, Texas and wasn't a fan but have heard good things about other ones.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We've got them in OK. They are a tier above Texas Roadhouse/Outback, but a few notches below Ruth Chris.

A good ribeye is probably around $18 and a small filet $25.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Little dive restaurant in Tehachapi, CA back in the early 80s had one of the best NY strips I've ever had.

Local place here in Albany, OR called The Buzzsaw that has since gone out of business.

A couple of years ago at Payton's Roundhouse in Chicago I had a Ribeye that was the best steak I've ever had.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Another out of the way place (but great) is The Hitching Post, in Casmalia, California.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Prime rib served medium rare at Jerry's Hilltop at the intersection of hwy 81 and hwy 20.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We've got them in OK. They are a tier above Texas Roadhouse/Outback, but a few notches below Ruth Chris.

Thanks for the reviews!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Restaurant at the top of the Stratosphere tower in Las Vegas.  Wife and I were there for our anniversary and got the surf and turf - I recall specifically that the menu said the filet had some sort of leek sauce on it and I thought to myself 'WTF is a leek'?

Long story short, that was absolutely, hands down the best steak I have ever eaten - the leek sauce was a complement to a beautiful cut that was cooked perfectly.  I consider that my 'holy grail' of steaks because it was a quasi-religious experience for me; I actually got teary in one eye when I took the first bite.  We went back several times, but each time was less like the first, until we just stopped going.  I continue to look for something to live up to that standard but as of yet I'm still looking.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Im going to have to give a +1 to Perinis in Buffalo Gap, TX.  Off topic, you cant eat there without having their bread pudding its awesome
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#28]
had a pretty good fillet at The Chop House in Sevierville, TN last week.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Aged Prime New York strip medium rare at Bern's Steakhouse about 15 years ago. Bern's hasn't been the same since old man Bern died.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Ruth's Chris across from the harbor in San Diego for special occassions.

Steer 'n Stein around the corner from my house for the best quality local steak.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#31]
It was a rib eye purchased from walmart believe it or not. Grilled medium rare, it was the most tender, juicy steak I have had to this day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Okay.

The best ever?  Not really at my house here so check this thread on it.

Open Fire Steak

The best I ever had at a paid for eatery was a ribeye at Love and War in Texas.  The location was in Dallas.

I am hard to impress.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Abe & Louie's (Boston) bone-in filet mignon, medium rare.  And I've eaten at MANY top-line steakhouses around the country.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Try Cattlemen's Cafe in OKC.  Best steak you will find anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Pacific Dining Car (Los Angeles).

Filet mignon (rare).
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Medium rare rib-eye at The Fox and Hounds.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#37]
May have been in Boston. West on Center is the place, in Roxberry(sp?)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#38]
The best resturaunt steak I ever had was at a dive in downtown Redding , CA called Jack's Grill. Place was a total dump, but I had a New York there that was out of this world. I've eaten at a couple Ruth's Chris locations, and a Smith & Wollensky's, and while they were very good, they did not hold a candle to this Jack's joint in Redding. It was cheap too. Four of us ate and had a couple rounds of cocktails for like $120 or $130. I don't know if they always are that good, but one of the guys I ate with goes there often and says it was about par for them. I'll be going there again any time I happen to find myself in Redding.

But of course my favorites are always home grilled done just my way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the reviews!!
price was ok, $25 for the strip/potatoes/and soup.. good food for the price. and they had a good selection to choose from.

my friend wanted to go the another Steak place called Logan's Roadhouse, but it was to far from where we were headed, so we just stopped at Saltgrass.

anyone been to a Logan's Roadhouse?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#40]
5th Wedding anniversary I took my wife to Ben Benson's in Manhattan near Times Square. Pricey but the best steak I ever had. Excellent service.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
5th Wedding anniversary I took my wife to Ben Benson's in Manhattan near Times Square. Pricey but the best steak I ever had. Excellent service.
<Liz Lemon>

I want to go to there.

</Liz Lemon>

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#42]
If it has to be a steak eaten out, it was a bone-in filet at the N9ne steakhouse at The Palms in Vegas. One of the best steaks I have ever had.

A close second is the NY strip at Cattlemen's in OKC. I figure if it's good enough for GW Bush senior, it should be fine for me. Outfreakinstanding steak.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd have to say a filet mignon at Salty's on Alki...probably about 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#44]
A steak house in Wichita Falls, Tx. Cant remember the name of the place but it's was daaaaum good!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You easily just ruled out the top 10 steaks I've ever had.

Amen. I cook my steaks how I like them. I've had good steaks at restaurants and cooked by other people, but I can't remember any as good as I can make them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Since we're limiting to non-home cooked food...

Stateside - Sam Seltzer's Steakhouse, Tampa Florida.  Early 90's.  Can't remember the cut.  Best tasting juiciest restaurant steak I've had.

Overseas - "Steak" on the menu at various small restaurants in Athens (Glyfada Square area) and Iraklion, Crete.  80's and early 90's.  Large, thick and juicy.  Best "French Fries" I've ever had as well - order a "side of fries" and you received a full dinner plate of fries next to your meal.  (Souvlaki was good as well, and the souvlaki pitas made excellent finger food for munchies between bars.)

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Hereford House in Kansas City, Mo

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Best steak so far was Ruth Chri's steak house in Beverly Hills, CA Ribeye medium rare with all the fixins. Second best was a small steakhouse in Texarkana, TX at a place I believ was called Abe's Ol Feedhouse.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the reviews!!
price was ok, $25 for the strip/potatoes/and soup.. good food for the price. and they had a good selection to choose from.

my friend wanted to go the another Steak place called Logan's Roadhouse, but it was to far from where we were headed, so we just stopped at Saltgrass.

anyone been to a Logan's Roadhouse?

I prefer Texas Roadhouse over Logan's but that's me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top