Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:15:17 PM EDT
I was traveling up to North Texas Friday after work with my wife and kids. It was about 9:30 PM and we pulled over in Ovilla (SP?) so my little girl could go to the bathroom. We were all tired, and had been on the road for a few hours. (With the move and all, I look like the walking dead.)

I was griping at my wife about something when she pulled into the Whataburger parking lot. I got out of the passenger side, opened the door for my daughter, and got back in the truck. I had my window down since it was cool.

My truck was facing away from Whataburger, toward the side street.There was a Chevron station across in front of me. There were some small trees planted in front of the truck. My son was in the pack seat, driver side, and I was in the passenger front. 1911 in the console next to me, cocked, safety on.

As I sat down, I noticed movement coming through the trees from the direction of the gas station about two parking spaces to my right. I turned my attention to the guy, and put my left hand on the console lid latch. The guy cleared the bushes and said "Man, you sho do look tired, I'm tired too. Can I ass yo a queson?" As he started toward my truck.

I slipped my hand inside the console and found my 1911, and spoke clearly. "Don't come any closer"
He replied "What?" I replied "Walk away from my truck" and flipped the safety off with my thumb, but it was still out of his view. He must have heard it because he froze, put his hands up to his chest, and his face lost all expression. He said " I'm cool man, I didn't mean to disrespect you man."

He turned and walked quickly to a gold Lincoln parked at the front of the Whataburger, and drove off.

While he was walking, I was checking for any of his buddies that may be around. When he was at the street, my wife and daughter came out. I got them in quick and we left.

The adrenalin didn't hit until I got down the road a bit. All night that scenario ran through my head and how it could have gone wrong.

Some things I've learned:

You had better bring your "A" game, no matter how tired you are!

I let him get too close.

I couldn't take my eyes off him to check my flank.

I'm glad I'm a wolf, and got shit done, not a friggin' sheep.<<

My family is safe, and we are wiser and well.

What insite does the hive have for me?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:17:44 PM EDT
He was just going to return the $100 your wife dropped.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:20:31 PM EDT
Just wanted a Newpowt
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:21:47 PM EDT
He just wanted change for the carwash
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 7:23:28 PM EDT by LuckyDucky]
He jus wan to ass u a queson man. y u godda be mad all teh time?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:24:20 PM EDT
Sorry, I was trying to tell you you had a low front right tire.
Why you gots to give me yo mad dog stare?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:24:38 PM EDT
He jus waned five so he coud play som vid-e-o gams.

U a fuk'n cracker.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:28:03 PM EDT
You did MS Paint for this shit?

What the fuck.... At least throw a fry on the ground to see if he would eat it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:28:28 PM EDT
It would be nice if we could live in a world where you could be polite to strangers under those circumstances, but we don't.

You did the right thing.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:34:10 PM EDT
Cracker Barrel & 76 stations are the white mans safe havens when on the road.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:36:35 PM EDT
Fail for having the weapon in the glove box. It belongs on your person. In a lot of states having it in your glove box would mean everyone in the car without a CCW can be charged with illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

Also, what if someone saw you reaching for a gun out of your glove box? They might freak and call the cops.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:39:33 PM EDT
You let your wife drive?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:39:36 PM EDT
You did good.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:40:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 7:42:06 PM EDT by PowerSlave]
Originally Posted By turdferguson:
Fail for having the weapon in the glove box. It belongs on your person. In a lot of states having it in your glove box would mean everyone in the car without a CCW can be charged with illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

Also, what if someone saw you reaching for a gun out of your glove box? They might freak and call the cops.

Not in Texas.

If it was on my hip, I could not get it out as fast as I could from the console. I know, I've ran those drills before.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:42:07 PM EDT

In TX, it's legal to carry in the glove box if you don't have a CHL. It's where I carry mine if I feel the need, as I don't have a CHL yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:43:36 PM EDT
Glad it all turned out and your family is safe.

BTW, you really didn't need a CHL to have your firearm in your truck with the Castle Law.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:43:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BlueJames:
You let your wife drive?

Yes. She is from Texas, and can handle a 3/4 ton 4X4 on of off the road quite well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:45:16 PM EDT
sounds like you encountered what we call a real black person. did he say anything about being afraid of ghosts?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:46:15 PM EDT

He was in Texas and I reckon he knew it. I agree that the pistol would best be carried on ones person, but not for the reasons you've given.
OP, You did good. Glad you and yours are okay.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:46:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SilentType:
It would be nice if we could live in a world where you could be polite to strangers under those circumstances, but we don't.

You did the right thing.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:46:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PowerSlave:
You let your wife drive?

Yes. She is from Texas, and can handle a 3/4 ton 4X4 on of off the road quite well.

Pics?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:47:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 7:49:02 PM EDT by redleg71]
He just wanted a couple of dollars for gas. He needed to get back to Houston for his wife who was having a baby(3months early) and he already spent all his money on his mama who is in hospice right now dying of cancer.

ETA: I get to hear every story panhandlers have every week when we fuel our trucks down in the ghetto. Of course, I'm always as prepared as you were.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:47:53 PM EDT
He was probably just going to ask you what color pit bull he should get.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:50:46 PM EDT
I was traveling up to North Texas Friday after work with my wife and kids. It was about 9:30 PM and we pulled over in Ovilla (SP?) so my little girl could go to the bathroom. We were all tired, and had been on the road for a few hours. (With the move and all, I look like the walking dead.)

I was griping at my wife about something when she pulled into the Whataburger parking lot. I got out of the passenger side, opened the door for my daughter, and got back in the truck. I had my window down since it was cool.

My truck was facing away from Whataburger, toward the side street.There was a Chevron station across in front of me. There were some small trees planted in front of the truck. My son was in the pack seat, driver side, and I was in the passenger front. 1911 in the console next to me, cocked, safety on.

As I sat down, I noticed movement coming through the trees from the direction of the gas station about two parking spaces to my right. I turned my attention to the guy, and put my left hand on the console lid latch. The guy cleared the bushes and said "Man, you sho do look tired, I'm tired too. Can I ass yo a queson?" As he started toward my truck.

I slipped my hand inside the console and found my 1911, and spoke clearly. "Don't come any closer"
He replied "What?" I replied "Walk away from my truck" and flipped the safety off with my thumb, but it was still out of his view. He must have heard it because he froze, put his hands up to his chest, and his face lost all expression. He said " I'm cool man, I didn't mean to disrespect you man."

He turned and walked quickly to a gold Lincoln parked at the front of the Whataburger, and drove off.

While he was walking, I was checking for any of his buddies that may be around. When he was at the street, my wife and daughter came out. I got them in quick and we left.

The adrenalin didn't hit until I got down the road a bit. All night that scenario ran through my head and how it could have gone wrong.

I let him get too close.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d147/SGivan/Chickenhead.jpg

good job on being prepared, bad job on posting about such trivial bullshit on arfcom like you narrowly avoided disaster
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 7:51:03 PM EDT by usptac]
Maybe he wanted to help you flip your car off its side, after you helped him with his?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:55:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ferretray:

He was in Texas and I reckon he knew it. I agree that the pistol would best be carried on ones person, but not for the reasons you've given.
OP, You did good. Glad you and yours are okay.

Agreed, especially about having it on you, but if you've already worked that out and are comfortable with it, I guess that's what's important.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:55:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By krpind:

No, it was for change to buy gas... the last time I had some homeless asshole try and tell me he needed change for gas I asked him where his car was and when he couldn't tell me, I told him he should ask Obama and drove off before he got real angry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:58:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Originally Posted By krpind:

No, it was for change to buy gas... the last time I had some homeless asshole try and tell me he needed change for gas I asked him where his car was and when he couldn't tell me, I told him he should ask Obama and drove off before he got real angry.

No, newbie.....

BTW, the original drawn down thread happened at a carwash.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:59:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By usptac:
Maybe he wanted to help you flip your car off its side, after you helped him with his?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:02:32 PM EDT
I feel as if you were in control of the situation, but i think you could have atleast seen what he wanted... not knowing what he was asking about would bother me forever...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:04:04 PM EDT

Not in Texas.

If it was on my hip, I could not get it out as fast as I could from the console. I know, I've ran those drills before.

Or SC.

Gotta love the South.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:06:02 PM EDT
A pan handler approached me once too, it was quite terrifying.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:06:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bakke1:
I feel as if you were in control of the situation, but i think you could have atleast seen what he wanted... not knowing what he was asking about would bother me forever...

LOL...forever? WTF? That cat wanted money. they always want money.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:07:02 PM EDT
The way the guy carried himself, and his eyes, he wasn't after change. I wasn't going to take chances. I did what I felt I needed to do, plus I like breathing, I'm partial to it.

I generally carry in a crossbreed, but since I'm right handed, and the gun would be on my right hip. The seat and door are in my way to get it out fast if I need it. I don't have time to tell chickenhead to wait while I clear leather.

I practice off hand and am confident in my choice given the circumstances. It may not be right for you, but only you can decide. If I leave the truck, it's on me, concealed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:10:53 PM EDT
A guy talked to you.

What happened?

You're never going to get to shoot anybody if you scare 'em off so quick!

I'm kidding. Seriously.

But pretending to panhandle to set up an armed robbery is an atypical MO.

Simply telling him to leave you alone and losing the "I was going to draw down on this guy" drama would seem appropriate.

Then again that wouldn't be worth posting...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:12:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:

I let him get too close.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d147/SGivan/Chickenhead.jpg

good job on being prepared, bad job on posting about such trivial bullshit on arfcom like you narrowly avoided disaster

Whatthefuck-ever.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:20:57 PM EDT
The preferable animal in this instance is the sheepDOG.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:23:29 PM EDT
This is one of the reasons I piss in a jug.
Plus I can always throw the jug at assholes with obama bumper stickers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:35:40 PM EDT
Another vote for overreading into trivial event.

He walked away because you basically failed to respond as a rational human, not because he heard the spectacular report of your death-dealing .45's safety.

Sure, I'll agree that the odds are in your favor that he was a shitbag. But most shitbags don't mean you harm, and certainly don't warrant a near-draw-down thread. I'm not going to go all visit-a-city-you-dumb-bumpkins on anyone - I hate cities, too - but spending time in them, you'll learn that almost no vagrants are master tacticians waiting to rape your women the second you blink.

A simple "I got nothin' man, put my gas on plastic" is a better test to see if they're up to no good. If that doesn't change their trajectory - and it always has, in my experience - then consider going to DEFCON 87.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:41:06 PM EDT

You did the right thing.

Sad, but true.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:42:02 PM EDT
1. You're picture looks nothing like you.

2. You're racist because you made the perp black.

Good going. Sometimes it's hard to act like that to someone who hasn't done anything to you physically, but in my experience, most of the time they are up to no good.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:59:43 PM EDT
get steppin' chickenhead

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:05:05 PM EDT
Panhandlers turn around and walk away when they see me.

You need to work on your wolf stare some more.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:15:54 AM EDT
Nevermind chickenhead! Watch out for the big turd slipping in from the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:23:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

You did the right thing.

I would have done the same.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:32:28 AM EDT
The "Can I ask you something...." is the bum/mugger classic. As soon as I start to hear I'm getting ready to defend myself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:26:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 0PSEC:

A simple "I got nothin' man, put my gas on plastic" is a better test to see if they're up to no good. If that doesn't change their trajectory - and it always has, in my experience - then consider going to DEFCON 87.

Waiting for the guy to get within range of the open window while you're trapped in a car is a good idea? It's not like he pointed the gun at the guy...this situation was stopped at the verbal level, and everybody went home safe. Being polite to strange people in a parking lot isn't a requirement.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:29:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By madmathew:
The "Can I ask axe you something...." is the bum/mugger classic. As soon as I start to hear I'm getting ready to defend myself.

Fixed it for ya.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:34:10 AM EDT
Glad it worked out for you.

Manage your space and keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:40:18 AM EDT
You let your wife drive?

This
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:41:02 AM EDT
He probably was just bumming, it's the ones that don't say anything until they are right at you that you have to watch.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top