Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 6:27:47 PM EDT
Which do you think is a better battery?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know which is "better"; but if you're using alkalines in an Eotech they need to be Energizers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Whichever is on sale.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don't know which is "better"; but if you're using alkalines in an Eotech they need to be Energizers.

Why?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you're using energizers in an eotech they need to be lithiums.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Ford or Chevy?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Aren't all batteries made in the same factories?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Duracells are better batteries physically than Energizer, both are just about equal electrically.  We had a GPS reciever on two aircraft that I've worked that took C cell batteries for memory backup, and the Tech Order specified Duracells by name.  I thought it was bullshit until one of our young Airmen stuck a different brand in, and the next time we went to change them they were exploded all over a very spendy GPS unit.  Could have to do with flying over 60K' in an unpressurized area.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Ray O Vac FTW.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Eneloop.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

???Why???

Not sure what's in my EOtech
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]

How can you go wrong with a battery that's a cool looking gold color?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Aren't all batteries made in the same factories?

Not to get of topic, but aren't all the US CR123's made by the same manufacturer??
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

???Why???

Not sure what's in my

Becausethere is a very small drain on the batteries all the time, and many alkalines will eventually make a nasty corrosive mess of the battery compartment.  The lithiums seem to withstand that tiny current draw over time better too, and will actually work after a few months in the safe.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#14]
It's kinda like Ford vs Chevy. Neither is really better than the other.

However, I like Energizer cause I grew up liking the commercials.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Eneloop.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

???Why???

Not sure what's in my
Becausethere is a very small drain on the batteries all the time, and many alkalines will eventually make a nasty corrosive mess of the battery compartment.  The lithiums seem to withstand that tiny current draw over time better too, and will actually work after a few months in the safe.  

Thanks for the answer, I just looked and I am running Ultimate Lithium Energizers. I stuck a note in there to remind me for the next replacement.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#17]
exactly equal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Over the years, I've had more than a few Energizer alkalines leak.

Never had a Duracell alkaline leak - although plenty of other folks have.

Either brand has a better reputation than Panasonic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#19]
No preference. Whatever's handy will do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#20]
cooper top for the win.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I buy Royovacs from Wally World.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#22]
the ANSI standards for 'standard' batteries are surprisingly vague. Meeting the standard only requires that the battery have some general dimensions and min/max electrical characteristics. A lot of those are in fact just averages of manufactures parts whenever the standard is revised.

Common name brands are probably close enough to be indistinguishable for most people. Most casual tests I've read about put all the major brands about on par with each other.

Specific issues, like exploding at high altitude, are more interesting. I'm curious now about what would cause that.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I buy Royovacs from Wally World.

This is what I run in my EOTech.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Energizer's comercials annoy me so i usually buy Duracell.  Unless something else is on sale.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Energizer......the possibilities are just mind blowing!
("Today, the world was stunned by the news of the death of the Energizer Bunny. He was six years old. Authorities believe that the death occurred at approximately 8:42 pm last evening. Best known as the irritating pink bunny that kept going, and going, and going, "Pinkie," as he was known to his friends and relatives, was alone at the time of death. An emergency autopsy was performed early this morning. Chief Medical Examiner Dura Cell concluded that the cause of death was acute cardiac arrest induced by sexual over-stimulation. Apparently, someone had installed Mr. Bunny's batteries backwards; and he kept coming, and coming, and coming.", (wtte), old joke)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Duracell.

I have no idea why.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:12:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll take my copper tops. They've always worked best for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:33:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Duracell is clearly superior.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:29:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Energizer, I made a decision a not to use Duracell years ago, they may be better now though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eneloop.

+1

Duraloops FTW
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:04:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Duracells.

Energizers hold the distinction of having failed on me twice in the last 7 years in ruinous fashion. Both times, they leaked battery chemistry into sensitive electronics, destroying both items.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:16:37 AM EDT
[#32]
On one hand, the memorable marketing of the Energizer Bunny seems to be overcome in this poll, which initially leads me to believe that Duracell is indeed a superior product.  However, perhaps the non-serious nature of the marketing actually leads people to judge a technical product poorly, especially when juxtaposed with Duracell's service and action oriented ad campaigns boasting the trust of Coasties and firefighters for their mission critical equipment, something I think appeals to many on this forum.

I just buy assloads of CVS alkalines with coupons.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:19:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:19:10 AM EDT
[#34]
whichever one is "fresher." Do batteries have "use by" dates?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

whichever one is "fresher." Do batteries have "use by" dates?

Yes

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#36]
BJ's house brand.  MUCH cheaper than the name brands, and for what I use them for, I've never noticed a difference with any brand.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

???Why???

Not sure what's in my

Thanks for the answer, I just looked and I am running Ultimate Lithium Energizers. I stuck a note in there to remind me for the next replacement.

Thanks again!

Lithiums are what I run in my Eotech as well.

They last a lot longer than alkalines and have a much longer shelf life as well.

If you're in a cold climate, which I'm not, the life of lithiums over alkalines is even much more pronounced.

If you do run alkalines; my  Eotech manual states that you should only use Energizers rather than Duracells because they state that the Energizers hold up better to recoil compared to Duracells and won't fail suddenly due to damage by recoil.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

???Why???

Not sure what's in my

Thanks again!

They last a lot longer than alkalines and have a much longer shelf life as well.

If you're in a cold climate, which I'm not, the life of lithiums over alkalines is even much more pronounced.

If you do run alkalines; my  Eotech manual states that you should only use Energizers rather than Duracells because they state that the Energizers hold up better to recoil compared to Duracells and won't fail suddenly due to damage by recoil.

One side bar: If you run your EOtech really hot (like I was on an M1a Scout, EO was mounted on the forward scout mount), you need to be using Lithiums. They are less likely to overheat and shut the sight down.

That was directly from EOtech.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#39]
The same
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

???Why???

Not sure what's in my

Thanks again!

One side bar: If you run your EOtech really hot (like I was on an M1a Scout, EO was mounted on the forward scout mount), you need to be using Lithiums. They are less likely to overheat and shut the sight down.

That was directly from EOtech.

The only downside to lithiums is that you don't get the blinking reticle low battery warning before the batteries die and the sight suddenly winks out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The only downside to lithiums is that you don't get the blinking reticle low battery warning before the batteries die and the sight suddenly winks out.

Change 'em on your birthday.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Change 'em on your birthday.

That's a good idea; it'll give me something extra to look forward to besides getting even older.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Go ask this in the women's forum.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Sanyo Eneloops
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top