Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 6:21:22 PM EDT
I know you hear about all the range and gun counter stories but unless I have a vested interest in someone I typically just let it go.. However Saturday I almost got offended...

Took my buddy out to the range to give him some time on my DSA FAL... I hear some guys talking over my shoulder and one younger guy asks a older gentlemen exactly what it was that we were shooting. As I was not asked I thought I would let him answer uninterrupted...

So what did he say that I almost made me choke a bitch? "Oh.. that's a FAL.. Its a third world rifle."

Third world? I wanted to jump up and slap a bitch... my poor FAL was offended by that slanderous talk.... that's the right hand of the free world my friend and has seen service in every shit hole on this planet by some of the worlds finest fighting men....

and the offended rifle in question..

My buddy shooting it the other week.. Notice his eye protection... Didn't notice until after he was done.

And before someone says "But it is a third world weapon... Go tell that to the Brits who whipped the Argentinians asses in the Falklands. hell i love my FAL.

So what things do you just not let ride when listening to range ninjas?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, were you jacking brass down the firing line?

I know my fal throws em hard.  I'd use a screen to deflect the brass.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So what did he say that I almost made me choke a bitch? "Oh.. that's a FAL.. Its a third world rifle."

You were making his HiPoint look bad, most likely.

I'm considering an Inch pattern build and you all posting about how much you like your FAL's aren't helping
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

"Oh.. that's a FAL.. Its a third world rifle."

Third world? I wanted to jump up and slap a bitch... my poor FAL was offended by that slanderous talk.... that's the right hand of the free world my friend and has seen service in every shit hole on this planet by some of the worlds finest fighting men....

You should have.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I go to the range to shoot, not be concerned about what other people say.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm considering an Inch pattern build and you all posting about how much you like your FAL's aren't helping

Dude.. if you dont own one you should.. I was not a beleiver until i picked up this thing... it makes me giggle like a School Girl.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I go to the range to shot, not be concerned about what other people say.

He was ignored.. However we all know the people who must come talk to you.. It just so happens these three gentlemen where standing two lanes down and i could not help over hearing...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
xxxxx
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I know you hear about all the range and gun counter stories but unless I have a vested interest in someone I typically just let it go.. However Saturday I almost got offended...

Outshoot them with their $3,000 optics and I use Mark I Eyeball.
Or more or less keep up with them.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Took my buddy out to the range to give him some time on my DSA FAL... I hear some guys talking over my shoulder and one younger guy asks a older gentlemen exactly what it was that we were shooting. As I was not asked I thought I would let him answer uninterrupted...

My buddy shooting it the other week.. Notice his eye protection... Didn't notice until after he was done.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs309.snc4/40802_431605078490_560798490_4829611_8317343_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs149.ash2/40802_431605088490_560798490_4829613_3554916_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs484.ash1/26486_388838463490_560798490_3821138_3665576_n.jpg

And before someone says "But it is a third world weapon... Go tell that to the Brits who whipped the Argentinians asses in the Falklands. hell i love my FAL.

http://a.imageshack.us/img171/1712/rmcfalklandsst3.jpg

Stay down at the other end of the line, talk to yourself and mind your own business.

The range bozo's will usually leave you alone.  Works for me.

FAL's are a fine battle rifle.  A true gun aficionado would know that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Its stories like this that make me appreciate the fact Ive only been to a range a handful of times in my life and it was all for arfcom shoots.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
But it is a ....nevermind, I use mine for an anchor now. It turned out to be a a piece of crap, got tired of messing with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Uh. The Argentinians used the FAL too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
My first Inch build was an Aussie kit on a *gasp* Century unibrow receiver which has since been upgraded to a DSA Inch pattern.

The reason I say this is because the first time I took it to the range I belonged to in Utah a morbidly obese guy came over from his table with (no kidding) one revolver and asked how I "got a lower" for that gun.  I told him that the upper was considered the firearm in the US, and there are US manufacturers who have newly machined semiauto uppers.  He snorted, and made some comment to a group of cowboy shooters about building assault weapons in the basement being illegal, to which point I told him that the weapon was both 922(r) and 922(v) compliant, as the AW Ban was still in effect.  I said it was so affordable pretty much anyone could do it, and I looked right at his single revolver before going back to shooting.  Even the cowboys thought that was funny.

I don't care what people shoot, it's not about who has the coolest toys.  But, when confronted by stupidity and a bad attitude, I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade politely.

Ah, the days of the $99 FAL kits...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs309.snc4/40802_431605078490_560798490_4829611_8317343_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs149.ash2/40802_431605088490_560798490_4829613_3554916_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs484.ash1/26486_388838463490_560798490_3821138_3665576_n.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img171/1712/rmcfalklandsst3.jpg

Stay down at the other end of the line, talk to yourself and mind your own business.

The range bozo's will usually leave you alone.  Works for me.

FAL's are a fine battle rifle.  A true gun aficionado would know that.

That would probably get you some alone time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I still have 2 of those kits sitting in a rubbermaid tub.  Need to build 'em some day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I still have 2 of those kits sitting in a rubbermaid tub.  Need to build 'em some day.

They're worth 4x that nowadays, amazingly enough.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#17]
what range is that
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.. if you dont own one you should.. I was not a beleiver until i picked up this thing... it makes me giggle like a school.

How does a school giggle?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
what range is that

Ill PM you the range info...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.. if you dont own one you should.. I was not a beleiver until i picked up this thing... it makes me giggle like a school.

How does a school giggle?

Damn it.. School girl is what i meant.... i had hit backspace too many times...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As did the Germans, Belgians, Canadians, Israelis, peruvians...

Yup, third world rifle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As did the Germans, Belgians, Canadians, Israelis, peruvians...

Yup, third world rifle.

that list would get pretty deep if you kept up..
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But it is a ....nevermind, I use mine for an anchor now. It turned out to be a a piece of crap, got tired of messing with it.

that suxs.. Mine runs like a Swiss watch no matter what POS ammo i feed thru it.. I love it and is pretty darn accurate for irons thru my old eyes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I paid 1100 for this plus shipping from aim 6 months ago...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But not as effectively as the Brits.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Little note for you as well. The Brits had Semi Fal's and the Argentinians had select fire. The Brits swapped real quick
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it –– got bored with metric builds and went to a full L1a1 build for the last one I did and it worked out great –– of course then I had to find inch mags and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I always wanted a FAL I see them alot for under 500. Too bad I am too poor to afford 500 right now. Oh IMO You should have asked to see his rifle and laughed at it when He pulled out an m4 type with all that shit on it. Where is that pic of the asian guy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Where exactly is everyone finding FALs around 500$?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I wonder what the moron thought about your PSL?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I paid 1100 for this plus shipping from aim 6 months ago...

That seems to be the going rate for new FALs from DSA, though if you really, really looked hard you might be able to find a better deal like anything else. I like yours a lot OP, nice rifle, and it will last you a lifetime. Based upon your description, the accuracy and reliability are worth whatever you paid for it as they are spotty in the accuracy department in my experience.

Of course, in the heyday, you could have built an IMBEL kit ($99) on an IMBEL gear-logo receiver ($189) and put on some US parts ($150 or so) and had a semiauto 7.62 battle rifle for under $500. Did I mention mags were as low as $5, sometimes less?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Needs more FAL's pics.

Here is my mutt.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Needs more FAL's pics.

Here is my mutt.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/cozmacozmy/Gun/fal12001.jpg

I used to hate that nasty paint when I was buying parts kits.
Now I wish I would have left the paint on when I built them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Of course, in the heyday, you could have built an IMBEL kit ($99) on an IMBEL gear-logo receiver ($189) and put on some US parts ($150 or so) and had a semiauto 7.62 battle rifle for under $500. Did I mention mags were as low as $5, sometimes less?

I assembled a few FALs from kits "back in the day" when parts and surplus ammo were cheap.... it was a helluva lot of fun and the FAL makes a great battle rifle (although the sights blow, the trigger system can't be massaged worth a darn, and it's a bizzitch to attach optics without turning it into a top-heavy pig).  Unfortunately, the cheap surplus .308 dried up and I rapidly lost interest in spending big bucks to feed a moderately-accurate rifle.  For what it is, the FAL is awesome though.  Like ten Helens, over 90 countries couldn't have been wrong.  Plus, the lines are just sexy!

P.S.  I had a Rhodesian kit that was loaded with "babyshit camo" paint.  I sold it without ever having assembled it.  It was awesome –– it was still loaded with machine oil, dirt, and even some small twigs.  I kinda wish I'd held onto that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top