Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 6:38:59 AM EDT
Went and did some inshore fishing yesterday and got sea sick. I've gone before never been sea sick before and god it sucked. I couldn't sleep well the night before and got about 3 hours sleep. Got out of the harbor and the sea's were pretty ruff. I didn't want to take Dramamine because I knew even the less drowsy stuff would make me tired since I didn't get much sleep. Well the sea got worse, and it was foggy as hell so you couldn't make out the horizon to help, so I popped a Dramamine about an hour and a half into the trip. Worst thing I could have done. Made me tired and my stomach was turning even worse now. I didn't loos my breakfast like the poor bastard I heard in the head throwing up like 10 times before he came out.  All that the fishing was fucking horrible. Boat had 60 people on it (fucking tangle fest), and there were a whole 6 fish caught (ocean fishing in So Cal has been junk the whole season. Water temps have been down all summer, so much for supposed global warming). It was so bad they gave everyone on the boat a 1/2 off coupon to use next trip and didn't even list the trip on the fish count for that day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Who did you use?

Our 6 pack had plenty of success this year.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Davey's locker. 6-packs are always more successful, they have a lot more freedom to go different places. Cattle boats don't really have that ability, plus it was a 1/2 day trip so we were really limited with time. There have been a few good stretches, but the fishing has sucked in general.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#3]
That is funny stuff..... Bongo's has been our choice, which is the same office. Even on our 6 pack trips, the group boats always make it there. The only time they didn't was a large mahi and tuna run we hit, about 30 miles past the channel islands.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to your doctor and get a RX patch for behind your ear... for next time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That is funny stuff..... Bongo's has been our choice, which is the same office. Even on our 6 pack trips, the group boats always make it there. The only time they didn't was a large mahi and tuna run we hit, about 30 miles past the channel islands.

Just look at the fish counts. There have been a few good days, but nothing to write home about.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just look at the fish counts. There have been a few good days, but nothing to write home about.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Scopolamine patches don't always work for everyone.

just sayin'

Ya I was going try and get one next time I go to the doc. I was told to try it at home first to make sure I don't have a reaction to it. It would suck to have a reaction while out fishing.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I got sea sick and it was brutal until I just yacked out the contents of my stomach. Afterwards, I just had a headache and everything seemed to float around. I was told to lie down flat in the lowest part of the ship, or look at the horizon. I found that not looking at anything and closing my eyes helped a lot, but I was NMC in this state. FWIW, I recommend taking the dramamine well before going underway, and to skip the previous meal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Landlubber
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Some of the generic Bonine available at walmart or whatever works the trick and won't break the bank.

Take two, drink some cocktails, and make sure you're leashed off to something solid, because it'll be a HELL of a ride
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#12]
The only time I ever got sea sick was during a 24 hour deep sea fishing tour in the middle of January on a 115' boat.

NEVER, FUCKING, AGAIN.

Dramamine didn't help.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Went and did some inshore fishing yesterday and got sea sick. I've gone before never been sea sick before and god it sucked. I couldn't sleep well the night before and got about 3 hours sleep. Got out of the harbor and the sea's were pretty ruff. I didn't want to take Dramamine because I knew even the less drowsy stuff would make me tired since I didn't get much sleep. Well the sea got worse, and it was foggy as hell so you couldn't make out the horizon to help, so I popped a Dramamine about an hour and a half into the trip. Worst thing I could have done. Made me tired and my stomach was turning even worse now. I didn't loos my breakfast like the poor bastard I heard in the head throwing up like 10 times before he came out.  All that the fishing was fucking horrible. Boat had 60 people on it (fucking tangle fest), and there were a whole 6 fish caught (ocean fishing in So Cal has been junk the whole season. Water temps have been down all summer, so much for supposed global warming). It was so bad they gave everyone on the boat a 1/2 off coupon to use next trip and didn't even list the trip on the fish count for that day.

Gotta take the Dramamine before you even get on the boat.  Also, your buddies appreciate the free chum
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#14]
try dried candied ginger root start munching on them the day befor you go out and while your on the boat it's amazing how well it works
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep a pint of blackberry brandy with you.  Every time you feel a little queasy, take a snort.  You'll feel better in no time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Drink one and only one beer as the boat is leaving the dock.

I've never had a problem with seasickness, but on our local fishing forum several people swore that this worked for them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I read somewhere that ginger root helps. I brought some along one time ocean fishing. Whenever I started to feel queasy, I would gnaw on the ginger and feel fine.

A buddy went out the Gate on Friday. He said it was smooth and flat as a lake. No Salmon though.

He said even the party boats had terrible luck.

F&G will probably close the Salmon season next year.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I read somewhere that ginger root helps. I brought some along one time ocean fishing. Whenever I started to feel queasy, I would gnaw on the ginger and feel fine.

A buddy went out the Gate on Friday. He said it was smooth and flat as a lake. No Salmon though.

Hell, they just reopened it this year.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Since we were little, we've always gone boating on lakes.  Once when we we were in California, we did a day's worth of deep-sea fishing.  My brother spent the entire day below, puking.

Until that day, I always thought that "turning green" was just a euphemism!  When he came up for a few minutes and was, quite literally green, I was pretty surprised.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Could have been inner ear problems, if that was the case nothing is going to help you that much. Antivert works well in some people your Dr can give you a Rx for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Scopolamine patches don't always work for everyone.

just sayin'

Ya I was going try and get one next time I go to the doc. I was told to try it at home first to make sure I don't have a reaction to it. It would suck to have a reaction while out fishing.

The patches work for me but at first they make me extremely drowsy. I'm fine if I put it on the night before and sleep with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ginger is the bomb.  Works for pregnant women too

My preferred form is Reed's Ginger Chews.  Nauseous or not, I can kill a big bag of them in an afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My buddy kept saying the Salmon smolts(?) are getting caught in the pumps for the California canal that goes down South. Couple hundred thousand! I don't know if thats true or not. I'm going to research it. It might be just BS to stop the taking of water from the Delta for the farmers.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My buddy kept saying the Salmon smolts(?) are getting caught in the pumps for the California canal that goes down South. Couple hundred thousand! I don't know if thats true or not. I'm going to research it. It might be just BS to stop the taking of water from the Delta for the farmers.

Delta Smelt are not Salmon. Hell I think I remember reading that they were not even native.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Pinch just above your belly button when you feel motion sickness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top