Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Dexter's gonna' git 'em.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Intersection cameras, probably OK in high traffic areas and NW Florida on I-10 is a short section for 40 cameras. Cameras at random places, I just don't like. Traffic Light enforcement cameras, NO Way!  Black Boxes in cars, probably don't like them.

Old man Jefferson said something about giving up a little liberty for security.

Keep digging.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Red-light cameras likely at more intersections
By MARK I. JOHNSON, Staff Writer  
 May 8, 2010 12:05 AM Big Brother is watching in some places and soon may be in others if Gov. Charlie Crist signs legislation setting a statewide standard for the use of cameras to catch and cite motorists who run red lights.

After years of controversy about such devices, the 2010 Florida Legislature hammered out a compromise, which sets criteria for their operation.

These systems photograph a vehicle's license tag as it passes through an intersection against the light. That information is then used to send a ticket to its owner.

DeLand officials are poised to install the cameras if the legislation becomes law.

"We could be ready in eight to 10 weeks," Police Chief Ed Overman said Thursday.

"Red-light accidents are very dangerous accidents," Overman said, because while someone deliberately running a stop light might be prepared, another driver not paying attention might not be ready if someone suddenly appears in front of them.

"This is a safety issue," the chief said.
According to a Florida House analysis of the legislation, 110 cities in 20 states use the traffic-infraction detectors. That has reduced red-light violations by as much as 50 percent, along with an estimated 30 percent drop in related injuries.

Still no such devices monitor roads in Volusia County, according to city and Florida Department of Transportation officials.

Camera-like devices are mounted at some intersections, but those are traffic sensors designed to monitor passing traffic, not photograph violators, DOT spokesman Steve Olson said.

In the county's largest municipality, Deltona, officials said they talked about installing cameras more than a year ago, but the idea died on the vine. They don't anticipate it being resurrected.

That's not the case in Flagler County's big city.

Palm Coast is one of almost two dozen cities in the state that have these cameras. And their use is being challenged in a class-action lawsuit that argues the devices violated the federal and state constitutions.

Opponents believe the systems prevent a suspected violator from facing their accusers in court, and put the burden of proof on the owner of the vehicle to show he or she was not driving when the infraction took place.

Another question centers on the motivation behind the cameras. Some believe cities and the state look at them as a cash cow.

In its analysis, the Florida House estimated passage of the new law could result in more than $29 million in revenue for the state during its first year and that would rise to almost $95 million by 2013-14. Local government coffers could swell $10 million next budget year, and another $55 million after two years.

In the new law, the maximum penalty that can be levied is $158, with $35 to $75 going to the city or county. The remainder of the financial pie is split among the state, hospital trauma centers and, in some cases, a private contractor who provides the systems and administers enforcement.

Since Palm Coast implemented its program in 2008, tickets have generated revenue of $1.5 million, City Manager Jim Landon said.

New Smyrna Beach City Manager Pam Brangaccio said in looking at the devices, safety was a prime motivation, but revenue generation played a significant role in her city commission's brainstorming sessions.
"It is on the Top 20 list related to the city's budget," she said.

DeLand already has an ordinance that conforms to the state's law on operation of the cameras, but the chief said some adjustments might need to be made before they start rolling.

Still, when all things are considered, Overman believes cameras make more sense than the alternative.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Let me make sure I have this straight: you wanted some attention over the I-10 cameras, and when that didn't fly, you dug up something about red light cameras, which is a different and totally separate issue?

BTW, fuck red light cameras and the politicians who insist on them.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#5]
"It's not Big Brother watching you,"  Speights said.

Yes, it is.

OK, boys!  Here's your assigned camera.  In and out fast.  Let's roll!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Let me make sure I have this straight: you wanted some attention over the I-10 cameras, and when that didn't fly, you dug up something about red light cameras, which is a different and totally separate issue?

BTW, fuck red light cameras and the politicians who insist on them.

My post was whining about cameras in general. The first article referenced cameras on the narrow I-10 corridor in Escambia County Florida. It's all large and small degrees of big brotherism. Some may be helpful, i.e. traffic signal control/congestion but the power to do more than that bothers me once the infrastructure is in place.  I referenced the second article about the red-light cameras. I seem them both in the same way. Camel's nose under the tent. Some feel my way, some don't.

Don't let your panties get in a wad over this.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top