Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:00:40 AM EDT
Where's the best place to get ammo cans online?
(Best = Lowest price, Lowest shipping, good condition cans, reputable seller, etc...)

I've checked out a few sites but several seem kinda shady and the rest charge way too much for shipping.

I'm looking for .50 and .30 cal cans, probably 3 to 5 of each. I'd like to not pay $10 a can on shipping if possible.

They don't have to be new, but I don't want shitty ones that are rusted out and bent up.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:17:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:14:02 AM EDT
Where R U in TX? If you R in Houston, teh Command Post has the best in-store deals. Dallas and San Antonio mil-surplus stores also have great deals but watch out for those with online stores. They'll quote you a much higher in-store price and they won't honor the online pricing at all.

In Houston, I can get 30Cal for $7ea, 50Cal for $12, Fat 50 for $15, 40mm for $15 (or $17?), and 20mm for $18ea (or $20?) at the Command Post. They have 8 stores, so call the one you're visiting first to see what they have and the price. The one I go to is on the SW corner of Beltway 8 just east of Hwy59. These prices are as of late Spring2010.

Also, since you're in TEXAS, go to the gun show. I know there's a decent deal once in a while.

Online, you'll pay a fortune for packaging and shipping.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:18:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WarLord31:
Where R U in TX? If you R in Houston, teh Command Post has the best in-store deals. Dallas and San Antonio mil-surplus stores also have great deals but watch out for those with online stores. They'll quote you a much higher in-store price and they won't honor the online pricing at all.

In Houston, I can get 30Cal for $7ea, 50Cal for $12, Fat 50 for $15, 40mm for $15 (or $17?), and 20mm for $18ea (or $20?) at the Command Post. They have 8 stores, so call the one you're visiting first to see what they have and the price. The one I go to is on the SW corner of Beltway 8 just east of Hwy59. These prices are as of late Spring2010.

Also, since you're in TEXAS, go to the gun show. I know there's a decent deal once in a while.

Online, you'll pay a fortune for packaging and shipping.

I'm in Austin... Haven't been to the gunshow since saxet was moved to San Antonio.

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:36:52 AM EDT
Ahhh...Austin. For some reason, I can't find a whole lot of gunshow activity there. You're right - they moved to San Anton. Well, I know DFW has some great shows. Houston's show at Reliant is the only one I go to now...parking is $8 though, but its a very short walk and the show is bigger IMHO than the George R Brown one. The GRB show is nice too, but parking is more, and its a helluva long dumb (hot!) walk to/from the parking. I got a 50cal can in almost brand new condition with a new looking rubber seal for $10 at the Reliant show back in May. Its back at Reliant this Sept 18-19 and I plan to be there.

Good luck! Ask around in the Texas sub-forum to see if anyone knows a place nearby you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:48:46 AM EDT
Awesome prices at the link! MREs at 45 bucks a case.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:52:10 AM EDT

Armygear.net is who I bought my last batch from. Got 20 of them for about $8 each, including shipping. Haven't seen a spot of rust on any of them.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:19:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 7:28:57 PM EDT by thelaw09]
I just ordered a 40mm one yesterday as part of a bigger order.
midwayusa

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:49:24 PM EDT
Good to kow ya'll are getting them online at "decent" prices for shipping. I was in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin a month ago and had a hard time finding decently priced cans at the army-navy mil-suprlus stores - in other words, online with shipping was still the better deal.

But the OP and I are in TX, and its been my experience so far that nearly all the guns shows (and some army surplus stores) here have great deals on them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:29:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thelaw09:
I just ordered a 40mm one yesterday as part of a bigger order.
midwayusa

Update: I got my 40mm can today and it was in great shape. A few scratches and a little outside surface rust, but the inside is pristine. By the condition of the rubber seal, I doubt it was ever used.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:25:24 AM EDT
if any of y'all are ever traveling through western Colorado, there is a place in Lamar that has the .50 cal cans for 5 bucks and the big 20mm cans for 8 bucks.

I make sure to pick up a few every time I drive through.
Top Top