Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/5/2010 2:26:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 2:27:32 PM EDT by DriftPunch]
My 1995 lawn boy 4.5 HP 2 stroke that I've abused the hell out of is refusing to start. Normally, this would not mean replacement, but with all of the other parts at deaths door, I'm not sure I even want to try to fix it. The only major issue I've fixed is the carb, which I replaced (weird plastic model) two years ago. I mow all manner of sticks, and the shared drive in front of my property means it digests it's share of gravel. The blade is appallingly dull. Current problems pointing to the lack of value in fixing it:

- Bag about to rip
- Blade sometimes chews on the grass chute when an errant stick wedges itself in the wrong place and forces the chute into the blade path. Chute could use replacement
- Undermower muffler cracked nearly in half from a rock boulder hit. Haven't fixed for years, so it's extremely loud (I use plugs anyway)
- Seal on drive leaks. I shoot it full of grease every now and then just to keep it happy
- Sometimes the drive locks the drive wheels (even when not engaged) when you're pulling it backwards
- Starter recoil sometimes doesn't pull the cord all the way in, and sometimes it seems to skip. It's getting worse too

Before you lecture me on the need for a sharp blade, understand that I live on a heavily wooded lot. Real grass has little chance. The lawn is a sparse mixture of weeds, grass, moss, mushrooms, and anything the trees decide to drop.

The GREAT thing about this mower is that even with only 4.5 HP, I've pushed it into encroaching light brush and it chews it right up.

I know that 2 strokes are gone, but recommend me a replacement capable of being abused, and capable of proper oiling at about a 30 degree angle in any direction.

The hooptie and a sample of the non-lawn lawn that it beats into submission with its spinning club.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:28:40 PM EDT
is that a weedy side yard?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:32:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By torstin:
is that a weedy side yard?

Nope, that would be the front. Besides the 60 foot trees that ring the yard, there are 2 60 foot oaks in the center about 25 feet to the right of this photo.

I'll gladly take the trees over grass. Except when I have to get rid of the leaves in the fall...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:43:38 PM EDT
I'll tell you to avoid Craftsman models, and I work for Sears. I sell lawn & garden equipment for Sears, and I can tell you right now that you'll be highly disappointed because I can guarantee you that it won't last 15 years, hell a Craftsman unit might not last 2 years given the abuse you put your old Lawn Boy through.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:45:51 PM EDT
expcustom is going to call the cops on you if you don't bring your lawn up to code, macht schnell.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 2:48:33 PM EDT by Rob762]
The hell's a "hooptie"?

ETA: Lawn mower, I guess?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:50:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rob762:
The hell's a "hooptie"?

Nope, hooptie is street slang for a car that is embarrasing and barely runs...

There was a hooptie contest about a year ago on arfcom, and it was pretty damn funny. The guy with the early 90s geo metro held together with twine won in my book...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:51:30 PM EDT
That mower deck MAY be made out of Magnesium.

It will have the word "magnesium" cast into it somewhere if it is.

I'm just sayin.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:52:22 PM EDT
I would restore that Lawn Boy just to piss off all of the tree huggers and the EPA.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:53:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
The hell's a "hooptie"?

There was a hooptie contest about a year ago on arfcom, and it was pretty damn funny. The guy with the early 90s geo metro held together with twine won in my book...

I remember that. I thought my s10 had a good chance of winning. I knew when I saw that Geo I had no chance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:54:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
The hell's a "hooptie"?

Learn something new every day

And those old lawnboys are the bee's knees. A more civilized mower, from an era when not all mowers weighed 55 lbs and had a briggs and stratton that could power a boat... I miss 2 cycles
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:56:27 PM EDT

The hell's a "hooptie"?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:58:25 PM EDT
You can get a cheap Toro from Home Depot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:13:59 PM EDT
Either fix the Lawn Boy or give it to me and buy a Honda.

Bryan
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:22:26 PM EDT
You don't realize what you've got, man. A lot of us DIYers would love to have an old school lawnboy... even more with a 2 stroke.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:23:57 PM EDT
For your entertainment, this is the scale of the mushrooms a wooded VA lot is capable of producing! (where's the Mad Hatter)

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:27:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GC7:
You don't realize what you've got, man. A lot of us DIYers would love to have an old school lawnboy... even more with a 2 stroke.

I've got an IM into a VA arfcommer in the repair biz, and I'm going to see what he has to say... Pehaps a winter re-furb may be in order.

It cost me $300+ in '95, so regardless of the cool factor, spending beaucoup bucks on parts alone 15 years later may not be in the cards.
Top Top