Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/5/2010 1:51:47 PM EDT
Neighbor Donnie and I got jacked up by the police this morning.

We loaded up all the fishing stuff and headed out of the subdivision. A police car with red lights on was approaching at a very fast speed from behind so I pulled over to let him pass. But he did not pass he was after me. Flashlight in the face, show some ID, search of the truck and fishing trailer etc...  comes back and says that we match the description of burglary suspects on W. Hampton. I don't know if he read my DL or ran the truck plates but that would have told him that I lived on W. Hampton.

More police cars arrive. The officers have a big conference. Donnie gets tired of waiting and gets out of the truck to go talk to the officers. I know better so I just stay put. They form a circle around Donnie and all unsnap their holsters.

Donnie shows them his ID and they tell him that we are suspected of robbing Donnie's house. Donnie goes WTF!

They tell him to go back and sit in the truck. About 20 minutes later I get my DL and CCW back and the first officer on the scene comes and tells me that he is very sorry that he was not able to turn this big misunderstanding into some sort of felony arrest for himself and the other officers.

I don't know any thing at all about being a policeman but I would think that it should have only taken one officer no more than three or four minutes to figure out that we were just two guys going fishing (kayak, fishing poles, ice chests) and one of us lived in the house that supposedly was getting robbed (from Donnie's DL) and that the other one lived across the street (from my DL and vehicle registration).

They must put all the really deep thinkers on the grave yard shift here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Shut up and take it, citizen.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
[barney_fife]Oh yeah?  Well where did you get your degree in police work mister smarty pants?[/barney_fife]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you know what the witness said?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I was a "potential" suspect for a "potential" crime that may or may  not have been committed sometime in the future once while sitting in my parked truck eating my whataburger and talking to my then girlfriend on the cellphone.  Apparently that is enough probably cause to ask for my ID and run a warrant search on me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
So the police were "sorry" they couldn't arrest you?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I bet the witness statement involved two guys carrying all sorts of stuff out of a garage and putting it into a trailer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]
So who called in the report?

Sounds to me like the cops were just doing their jobs.

Me, I would be glad they were on the job when someone called in that report on my house.

You got an apology.  Let it go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Is it police policy to give out that information?

ETA:

It should be mandatory that police tell you who called them in the event you are not committing a crime. We should protect witnesses to crimes. We should expose nosy busybody idiots.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No. What did they say?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes sir, No sir, and Thank You Sir!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds to me like you committed the perfect crime and the victim, your buddy, doesn't suspect a thing.  The cops even think he did it to himself!  Well played, Sir...Well played indeed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
You're lucky to be alive! Seriously that does sound pretty retarded, one look at the truck trailer and get-ups should have tipped off a blind man.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're lucky to be alive!

I think Donnie is lucky he didn't get a beating for interupting the police while they were thinking trying to think this through.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
On one hand, you have to appreciate their aggressive policing, but they don't understand that people like you are their customer.  LEO culture has strayed far from the "to protect and to serve" ideology, if indeed it ever existed outside of Mayberry.  

A simple apology goes a long way in a situation like that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#15]
You assume that at least one of them considered you a citizen first, and a subject second.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
the first officer on the scene comes and tells me that he is very sorry that he was not able to turn this big misunderstanding into some sort of felony arrest for himself and the other officers.

wtf ever.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmmm, robbing your own houses, what statute is that under?

So did he ask permission to search the vehicle? Or since you were both assumed to be a burglar, was that a "freebie search" due to RS/PC?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#18]
More than likely, while they were having their little pow wow, someone was at the residence of the reporting person speaking to them.  Also around that time, that responding officer was essentially telling the reporting person that they had just called in on the homeowner....thereby making them feel ultrasmart.

Did anyone go to your buddy's house to try and contact someone there, like a spouse or other family member.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

It should be mandatory that police tell you who called them in the event you are not committing a crime. We should protect witnesses to crimes. We should expose nosy busybody idiots.

So next time the observant neighbor sees something that looks suspicious they won't call the police for fear of being exposed/punished as a  nosy busybody idiot?

Brian
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

More police cars arrive. The officers have a big conference. Donnie gets tired of waiting and gets out of the truck to go talk to the officers. I know better so I just stay put. They form a circle around Donnie and all unsnap their holsters.........................................

They tell him to go back and sit in the truck. About 20 minutes later I get my DL and CCW back and the first officer on the scene comes and tells me that he is very sorry that he was not able to turn this big misunderstanding into some sort of felony arrest for himself and the other officers.

Lucky for Donnie he didn't leave the scene with several leaks.  Sounds like these guys aren't real good at critical thinking
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Note To Self: Before committing any burglaries, print up new Driver's License showing address of house I am burglarizing.

It may not pass a radio check, but who knows!!!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LEO culture has strayed far from the "to protect and to serve" ideology, if indeed it ever existed outside of Mayberry.  

Two questions:

1) Can you identify the origination of the "to protect and to serve" ideology?

2)  Could you point out on a map the real life town of Mayberry where Andy Griffith was Sheriff and Don Knott(?) as a deputy?

Brian

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#23]
If I was donnie, I soooo would have fucked with you at that point.

"You're right officer, OMG!  I recognize that fishing pole!   You sonofabitch, that's my beer chest, too!"
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#24]
It sounds like you have a useless old crone that lives within 2-3 houses from you or Neighbor Donnie.  She probably has all sorts of conspiracy theories about what she sees from inside the house.  You may never see her outside.  Do any of the houses that fit that description frequently have someone peering through the blinds?  You may even see bent blinds in one of the front windows.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It sounds like you have a useless old crone that lives within 2-3 houses from your or Neighbor Donnie.  She probably has all sorts of conspiracy theories about what she sees from inside the house.  You may never see her outside.  Do any of the houses that fit that description frequently have someone peering through the blinds?    

So what you're really asking is what GD poster called in on the OP?

Brian

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

So next time the observant neighbor sees something that looks suspicious they won't call the police for fear of being exposed/punished as a  nosy busybody idiot?

Brian
Yes, exactly.

I want people to make damn fucking sure they aren't calling the cops on their neighbors before they pick up the phone.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEO culture has strayed far from the "to protect and to serve" ideology, if indeed it ever existed outside of Mayberry.  

Two questions:

2)  Could you point out on a map the real life town of Mayberry where Andy Griffith was Sheriff and Don Knott(?) as a deputy?

Brian

1) World War II 149th Military Police Battalion

First civilian police motto:

In February 1955, the Los Angeles Police Department, through the pages of the internally produced BEAT magazine, conducted a contest for a motto for the police academy.

2) Mount Airy, North Carolina

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

Brian
Yes, exactly.

I want people to make damn fucking sure they aren't calling the cops on their neighbors before they pick up the phone.

If people would just greet their neighbors or at the least, observe them each day, people would know who their neighbors are and this wouldn't be a problem.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

Brian
Yes. If my stupid neighbor doesn't know what I, or a close neighbor look like, and cannot figure out the difference between two guys going fishing, and a couple of burglars, I don't want them calling the police.

not brian

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Next time call the station for permission to load up your gear!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep.  It wastes police resources AND pisses off the accused when people automatically call the cops just because there "might" be something going on.  They need to be sure.

It's like the people that call 911 for a minor laceration or cough.  They should be exposed as idiots, and nosy neighbors should be exposed as well.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

So next time the observant neighbor sees something that looks suspicious they won't call the police for fear of being exposed/punished as a nosy busybody idiot?

Brian
Yes. If my stupid neighbor doesn't know what I, or a close neighbor look like, and cannot figure out the difference between two guys going fishing, and a couple of burglars, I don't want them calling the police.

not brian

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Next time call the station for permission to load up your gear!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#33]
WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two questions:

Brian

Can you name Mayberry's sister city?  (Hint - most people get it wrong)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't know any thing at all about being a policeman but I would think that it should have only taken one officer no more than three or four minutes to figure out that we were just two guys going fishing (kayak, fishing poles, ice chests) and one of us lived in the house that supposedly was getting robbed (from Donnie's DL) and that the other one lived across the street (from my DL and vehicle registration).

They must put all the really deep thinkers on the grave yard shift here.

It takes 18-25 minutes to confer with the DOJ who has to call the WH and make sure you're not on a Domestic Terrorist aka Tear Party Member, watch list.

Remove the BFL sticker from your vehicle asap, that's how they know who to pull over and harass/shoot/take liberties with your nether regions

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Dang, the LEOCoC sure is alive and well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

Brian
Yes, exactly.

And how do they do that - walk out the front door with a .22 rifle?  Yes, it would be nice if neighbors recognized each other 24/7 but sometimes that doesn't happen.....

Brian
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two questions:

Brian

1) World War II 149th Military Police Battalion

First civilian police motto:

In February 1955, the Los Angeles Police Department, through the pages of the internally produced BEAT magazine, conducted a contest for a motto for the police academy.

2) Mount Airy, North Carolina

Yep, it's a motto.....

Brian
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If people would just greet their neighbors or at the least, observe them each day, people would know who their neighbors are and this wouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes it's dark, the neighbor is wearing a hoody, etc.  It happens on occassion - just ask the black Harvard professor

Brian
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

not brian

How many times have you read stories about someone's house being burglarized and it turns out the neighbor watched the "moving company" working?

Brian

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#41]
No good ever comes from knowing people named "Donnie". Ever.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two questions:

Brian

Can you name Mayberry's sister city?  (Hint - most people get it wrong)

No idea.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How is that?

Brian
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

Brian
Yes, exactly.

And how do they do that - walk out the front door with a .22 rifle?  Yes, it would be nice if neighbors recognized each other 24/7 but sometimes that doesn't happen.....

Brian
Wait, what? I'm at a loss as to how you came up with that. Was that really the first thing that came to mind? How about "Hey neighbor!"?

Am I supposed to call the PD just to avert some neighbor calling them when I move out of my house in 3 weeks?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Did anybody's dog get shot?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#46]
only cops should have guns
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not brian

How many times have you read stories about someone's house being burglarized and it turns out the neighbor watched the "moving company" working?

Brian

And? This is the stupidity of the neighbor. I'll be damned if I rely on that. I say again: if a non-suspicious 'moving company' arrives at my house and cleans me out, so be it. I have insurance. I have no patience for stupidity.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Not enough information.

You know how all these reporters are.

There's a strong possibility you are guilty, we have to wait for the official investigation to be complete - until then, we're not worthy to comment.

ETA- How does the guy with the blatant CoC violation in that now locked thread still post?  Magic?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is that?

Brian

Funny that you should ask.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

They sure as hell know what the actual evidence of their IDs and records of addresses say.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top