Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2010 10:45:36 PM EDT
just curious.
ETA sherrick beat my pole :(
ETA2 i suck at spelling good.  this message has been brought to you in part by public education
ETA3 thanks for all the feedback officers!  i never knew a bunch of yall pulled over so many people, but wrote so few tickets.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]

An average less than 1.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]
As a rookie, as many as I could.  As an old crusty bastard, as few as I could.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
TRAP.....

eta...really no avg, just how free i am to do traffic and who's violating...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
One, maybe two if calls for service are down. When my patrol district was the historic area of town, I would write 10-15 a day for stuff like running stop signs, no insurance or invalid driver's license.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on how much traffic there is.  No way to average it really.

Or, if I get a drunk that average shoots way up.  That's typically 3-4 tickets to one person.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
None.
I spent my time getting up in coverts on drug areas and walking foot in the projects.

ETA: I did car stops, but I mostly used vehicle repair orders to justify my stops.
That said, if I didn't recover guns or drugs, I didn't issue a repair order.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

None.

I spent my time getting up in coverts on drug areas and walking foot in the projects.

ETA: I did car stops, but I mostly used vehicle repair orders to justify my stops.

That said, if I didn't recover guns or drugs, I didn't issue a repair order.

Past tense?

Nice work with the catch and release program.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
One or two on average. It really depends on the call volume. I take a community policing approach rather than traffic enforcement. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
just curious.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on traffic and call volume. I average 30 citations a month, so probably 2 a shift. I've had months as low as 5 and as many as 85.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just curious.

Spelling really makes the difference.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

just curious.

Hey if I started a thread about that wall I like to climb, would you beat my pole?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#13]
How many it takes to get that toaster oven, baby! Seriously though it all depends. I'm the Sgt and I have guys that love working traffic and they may turn in 10 a shift. Then there's guys like me,who love doing car stops looking for dope and money and could give a shit less about writing tickets unless it's attached to a bigger charge. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:48:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Average 2 a 12 hour shift.  About the same number of arrests.  Tonight was a different story.  7 arrests in 12 hours,fucking holiday weekends.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

just curious.

Sherrick beats NO man's pole.  

I however will submit a followup post before a original poster is able to modify their original post to include a poll.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
An average less than 1.

Because you're ALWAYS surfing Arfcom and not paying attention to the criminals.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:06:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Average 2 a 12 hour shift.  About the same number of arrests.  Tonight was a different story.  7 arrests in 12 hours,fucking holiday weekends.

You don't patrol Hwy 29 by chance, do you???

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#19]

What's the average quota these days?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I used to be citation hound.

Now they're lucky if I turn in 10 a month. Not to say I dont stop cars. I stop 50-100 cars a week on interdiction stops.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TRAP.....

eta...really no avg, just how free i am to do traffic and who's violating...

+1 and what the attitude is like when I make the stop.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#22]
A ticket a day keeps the sgt away. I make about 2-3 stops per shift and usually one cite per day.  Some days I go nuts and can write 10 tickets if I am feeling freaky.  My rule of thumb is 15+ in town and 20+ on the highway.  

We don't have quotas but we do have performance expectations.  They expect us to make one stop in a 10 hour shift and write a cite about 30-40% of the time.  That is very easy to do and you would have to try not to do it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Honest poll
my moneys on eat donuts all day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I was never a big ticket writer when I wore a uniform. I went days on end without writing a ticket - but it was also because the City I worked for was hopping pretty much all the time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Avg 5-8 per day on a 10hr shift.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm retired now, and when I was a patrol officer we didn't write tickets except at maybe accidents and the occasional asswipe that did something crazy right in front of you.  We had a traffic division for traffic tickets.  Patrol officers took radio calls....all shift long.  If you wrote a traffic ticket, usually another officer would end up getting stuck in your area.  From the time we hit the streets until the time the "official" shift ended, there was a backlog of calls.  Traffic guys usually wrote a book of tickets a day, and that barely scratched the surface of violations out there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Guy I ride with almost never writes tickets. For instance, out of 80 traffic stops he had one month (about 3/4 the way through the month), I think he had 7 tickets and a few of them were to the same person/people for multiple offenses. For instance, the lady we pulled over for rolling a stop sign and found out she was DUI got a ticket for the stop sign and her speed on the road we pulled her over on because she called him "the fuckin' police". He did let her walk home instead of taking her to jail though.

Then there was the guy on a crotch rocket who was doing 19 over through town (54/35), had an '07 registration (last month) and had been pulled over for the exact same speed and written for that old registration in Jan. 2010. He sped up when we turned around to get him (there's no way he was that far ahead of us through an S-curve in the part of town we were in without getting on the gas when he saw the car flip around). He looked back ever so slightly at least 3x before stopping in the mile or so we had the lights and siren on, about 15 feet off the back of his bike, along with the horn. He said he never saw or heard us, and keep in mind this was at night in an area filled with road signs and other structures on the side of the road that the lights reflect off of very brightly. He got the full speed ticket ($256) and an expired registration ticket (either $113 or $131... I don't remember). Also told us we were lucky he decided to stop, because he could have just taken off.... Something tells me, even though he has been stopped at least 15 times, he still doesn't get how to interact with LE when you get caught doing something real stupid.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#28]
A lot of days in the summer, its 0. Just too busy running from call to call.In June and July  I didn't write a single ticket that wasn't accident related This week I had a chance to concentrate on traffic a bit more between calls because I've had residents of one neighborhood asking me to concentrate on their neighborhood..

Of the eight I wrote yesterday, six went to one guy. I could have kept writing, but I'd gotten to six by the time the officer arrived to claim him on his outstanding warrants. Stops like that skew the overall numbers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
An average less than 1.

Same here. 15 per month. Usually all parking violations.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A lot of days in the summer, its 0. Just too busy running from call to call.In June and July  I didn't write a single ticket that wasn't accident related This week I had a chance to concentrate on traffic a bit more between calls because I've had residents of one neighborhood asking me to concentrate on their neighborhood..

Of the eight I wrote yesterday, six went to one guy. I could have kept writing, but I'd gotten to six by the time the officer arrived to claim him on his outstanding warrants. Stops like that skew the overall numbers.

Validate

Replicate

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Avg is less than 1/day although I too subscribe to "a ticket a day...."  My 'best' was cites to 3 different drivers in one shift.  I make a lot more stops than my ticket count indicates.

My neighbor is a motor officer in a much bigger city/jurisdiction and his avg is ~10/day sometimes hitting 15 in a day.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#32]
This poll has been messed with by idiots.  No way that many of you are writting 50+ tickets in a shift.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#33]
just depends on how i feel that day. I probably average 1-3 "hard copy's" but some days I will write 10.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
just curious.

You might want to rephrase that.

Roy
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How many it takes to get that toaster oven, baby! Seriously though it all depends. I'm the Sgt and I have guys that love working traffic and they may turn in 10 a shift. Then there's guys like me,who love doing car stops looking for dope and money and could give a shit less about writing tickets unless it's attached to a bigger charge. YMMV

Would you care to elaborate on the looking for Money part??????

Roy
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't patrol Hwy 29 by chance, do you???

They bad where you are too?  Seen 6 in a 5 mile stretch today.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I try to write 2. Usually 1 good (dangerous) moving violation and 1 talking on the phone violation (my pet peeve).

The department requires none.

Our motors write 15-20 a day... not going to be doing that.
John

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I only write misdemeanor citations: Unlicensed driver, driving on suspended, speed contest, exibition of speed, minor in possession, possess marijuana, missapropriate found property, petty theft, vehicle tampering, possess paraphernalia, possess controlled substance without prescription, ect.  So between 1 & 3 a night. if its just an infraction you get a warning.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

An average less than 1.

+1

Most of mine stemmed from accidents I responded to when the motors weren't working.

(I recently quit in order to go back to school but I am still a reserve officer)

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Or, if I get a drunk that average shoots way up.  That's typically 3-4 tickets to one person.

What? you guys really double stat that way? One driver is one citation. doesnt matter itf its one violation on the ticket or 24 violations on the ticket. Its still just one cite.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#41]

You might want to ask a traffic officer. I average 300 a month on traffic detail. Once I complete motor school I should be able to push the 400 mark.

FYI: Patrol officers look for turds, traffic cops write cites.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#42]
1 to 5 in a 10 hour shift...... unless it's raining.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What? you guys really double stat that way? One driver is one citation. doesnt matter itf its one violation on the ticket or 24 violations on the ticket. Its still just one cite.

Not in WI.  You can only put one violation on each citation.

So, they get one for OWI, One for the PAC, one for whatever violation you stopped them for (if applicable), one for the open intoxicants they invariably had in the car, and one for the seatbelt they probably weren't wearing.  Also, most of them have had a prior OWI recently and their license is still suspended/revoked for that so they get pinched for that too.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Our citatations have room for four violations and there is a citation continuation form with room for 20 more.

So if i stop some guy for speeding, he has a suspended license, some weed in the car and a switchblade on him thats one ticket.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.

Our citatations have room for four violations and there is a citation continuation form with room for 20 more.

So if i stop some guy for speeding, he has a suspended license, some weed in the car and a switchblade on him thats one ticket.

Must be nice.  Ours you have to fill in everything on each citation.

Name, DOB, Physicals, Address, DL#, vehicle info if applicable (plate, vehicle make, type, expiration) court info, and violation info as well as location where the violation occurred.  If I remember I will take my camera next time I work patrol and snap a picture of one of citations.

However, most everyplace is getting on board with Badger TraCs.  Which is a free (to the depts) software that is put out by the state that interfaces with the MDC's.  You can write citations with that and print them in the car sweet as shit.  It keeps track of the last 5 people you ran and the last 5 vehicles so when you go to write the citation you just pick the right person/vehicle and it fills in all their info automatically.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

just curious.

lol.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you are looking at oh he writes a lot tickets it's not really fair.

I hunt DUI, suspended, revoked and driving without first obtaining like the world is on fire.

So for one of those they usually walk away with 2 to 4 cites.

My average speeding cite is 20+ over on the main roads, and 18 plus on residential streets.

BS, Bama!  You've got a quota and you know it!   What is it?  

Come on, spit it out.  You're among friends here.  You can tell us.  

So how many tickets do they really make you write to keep your job?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#48]
If the LEO community would concentrate 95% of their time on gang related crime, drugs, murders, and theft we would have a really nice country here, all the wasted time collecting income from speeders, stop sign runners, etc, keeps major crime rates up.  All the bad felons keep them in the prison, the rest of the perps need to be kept in tent city's put on work details doing gov manual labor work.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Validate

Replicate

I was. It still takes time. I HATE TRACS. Its a creation of the NYSP that was forced on the rest of us.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top