Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
No love for the 25-06
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No love for the 25-06

no, I love the 25-06, I will own one someday.  For sure.  But .25-06 didn't fit in the equation.

there was one more variable that I didn't communicate, and it was an important one. I should have brought it up.

the gun HAD to come from cabelas.  I had a stack of gift cards to cabelas saved up.  So I was limited to stock they had in guns.  I was also sort of looking for a short action since it's a kids gun.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

UPDATE: I took the boys and wife to cabelas and it was unanimous: they all liked the savage 11 in .243 so we got that. After gift cards and award cards it was $5.50 out the door . I had them mount the alaskan guide 4.5x14x40mm scope I stole from them last year (75% off).

I can't wait to shoot it. I'm going to maybe buy the hawkeye 7-08 for myself though. I love that thing

Great choice.  I was going to recommend the Savage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#4]
6.5 mauser is a great bullet.  CZ, thompson contender or old carl gustav.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
here's the youngest son [13] with his last three shot group at a little over 100 yards.  Yes, we know 3 shot groups suck,  but we only had 20 rounds and these were the last three shells,  fired as carefully as he could shoot off the portable bench.  

most of the groups ran around an inch to inch-and-a-half.  He got better as he went and the trigger started to smooth out. I just bought reloading dies and will spin some up tonight and get him some more practice.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

here's the youngest son [13] with his last three shot group at a little over 100 yards.  Yes, we know 3 shot groups suck,  but we only had 20 rounds and these were the last three shells,  fired as carefully as he could shoot off the portable bench.  

most of the groups ran around an inch to inch-and-a-half.  He got better as he went and the trigger started to smooth out. I just bought reloading dies and will spin some up tonight and get him some more practice.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x229/crashburnrepeat/IMG00156-20100906-1836.jpg

Nothin' wrong with that

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
7-08 is a great caliber.

It is the modern equivalent of the 7X57 Mauser, a round proven in Africa for decades.

The selection of bullets for the 7mm is much greater than .243

My rifle shoots one hole groups with 139 gr bullets and 1.4" groups with 175gr bullets.  

I have handloaded low recoil 120 gr loads that my kids started shooting at age 12 or so.  Very easy on the shoulder.

It is good up to elk (with the right load), a tad light for moose.  I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a black bear with one if that is all I had.

.243 is so-so in my book.  Too much recoil for varmints all day, and a bit lacking on some deer and deer shots.  Perfect for yotes and that is about all.

If someone gave me a .243, I would sell it, take the loss,and buy a 7mm-08.

My longest shot on deer with mine is a bang-flop on a doe at 380 yards.

7mm-08, no contest.

+1  get the 7mm-08 and don't look back.  you might want to look at the Marlin XCR (or something like that).  supposedly a good low $$$ rifle.

Oops, posted w/o going though entire thread.  Tell your son good group!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
You've already made your decision and obviously everybody has weighed in, so it's down to a typical "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary)

I'm a fan of the the Savage .243 - that's what I grew up on, and I harvested open prairie antelope, creek bottom whitetails, high prairie mule deer, and deep mountain bull elk with it.  The first bull elk I ever got was with the .243 when I was 15 years old - a pretty respectable 6x6 and the .243 performed just fine.

For shooters 13 - 17 years old, the .243 is a pretty fair all-around hunting rifle - it gets the job done in a number of different situations - but again YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]
7mm-08 can be loaded light enough for any shooter - assuming you reload your own hunting ammo - and heavy enough for Elk or larger.

I'd go that way.

ETA - see you already got the Savage in 243.  Happy hunting!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I'm going to get the hawkeye 7mm-08 as well. I just gotta hope it holds there till I get the money or they have a big sale on it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know it's not on the option list since you're shooting mule deer and elk, but my oldest took a small doe last year with his AR.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r235/rob99rt/deer/IMG_4502.jpg

FWIW, DPMS does make quite a few uppers in various calibers including .243, 6.8 SPC, and .260 Remington.

Nice job!  I took 3 deer with my AR last year. Not my first choice, but neither is .243

7mm-08 in a Hawkeye is an order of magnitude more effective.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Savage .243 was my first hunting rifle.  Now serving my younger brother who is 110 lbs. soaking wet.  Put a recoil pad on and GTG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x229/crashburnrepeat/IMG00156-20100906-1836.jpg

The boy can shoot!  Nice shooting and obviously a nice rifle! What kind of ranges will you be hunting at though? Seems like you could zero it out a bit further if you wanted to...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The boy can shoot!  Nice shooting and obviously a nice rifle! What kind of ranges will you be hunting at though? Seems like you could zero it out a bit further if you wanted to...

it's an Idaho/utah hunt so shots will be 100-300 yards.  You're right, this kid is my natural born killer. The older boy can take it or leave it. this one ONLY wants to  hunt. He hunts grasshoppers, cats, squirrels, deer, whatever.   he's a great shot as well so I wasn't surprised at his group. I can't wait to see what he'll do in 5x5 groups with it.  The trigger needs some work but it's smoothing out just dry firing it and workign with it.

I may throw a Sharp shooter supply trigger on there.

I am loading Horndady 95gr SSTs in it now to try out. I'd like to shoot Nosler Partition but MAN those things are expensive!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top