Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 8:32:21 PM EDT
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) –– The hour when Ariana Kramer will begin her college career is fast approaching - and her parents are in an office supply store, disagreeing about hanging files, of all things.

"She'll need them," her mother says.

"I don't think so," her dad counters.

Ariana, meanwhile, walks dreamily through the store, offering no opinion on this particular decision. She is, in fact, confident that she will have what she needs when she starts her freshman year at the University of Iowa.

She has mom, the family organizer, with her, and dad, the calm encourager. And they have "the list," which mom printed from one of those "what-you'll-need-at-college" websites.

New laptop. Check.

Comforter with matching sheets. Check.

Laundry detergent. Body wash. Antacid.

Check. Check. Check.

Read the rest Here

Helicopter parents?   WTF is going on here?  Any of you have experiences with this (Either as a parent or student)?   Post your thoughts here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard the term until I saw it on a Simpsons episode.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Hilarious!

My parents were like "You wanna go to college?", I was like "yeah", they were like "Cool, good luck with that!".

Paid for the whole thing myself, took care of all the paperwork, the only think they ever heard about were the grades I got at the end.

We are raising a bunch of pussies.

RF
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
refurb: now a days, it is almost impossible to work your way through college, at the community college level maybe, but at a 4-year school, highly improbable. If you lived at home, that is doable. Half the cost of college is room & board.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
refurb: now a days, it is almost impossible to work your way through college, at the community college level maybe, but at a 4-year school, highly improbable. If you lived at home, that is doable. Half the cost of college is room & board.

Post 9/11 GI BIll you net a monthly profit of $1500 per month plus an annual stipend.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to see this list of crap you supposedly need.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post 9/11 GI BIll you net a monthly profit of $1500 per month plus an annual stipend.

It is based on BAH for a E-5 (with or without dependents) in your zip code. It ain't $1500 everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is based on BAH for a E-5 with or without dependends in your zip code. It ain't $1500 everywhere.

I just picked a typical ammount.  That's easier than posting the whole table.

If you live in Turtle Crossing Alabama, your net profit per month will only be $47.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is based on BAH for a E-5 with or without dependends in your zip code. It ain't $1500 everywhere.

If you live in Turtle Crossing Alabama, your net profit per month will only be $47.

I believe that is in Coosa County zip code: 35136, In which case:

E-5  with DEPENDENTS: $ 918.00

E-5 without DEPENDENTS: $ 726.00

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Hilarious!

My parents were like "You wanna go to college?", I was like "yeah", they were like "Cool, good luck with that!".

Paid for the whole thing myself, took care of all the paperwork, the only think they ever heard about were the grades I got at the end.

RF

I'm inclined to wholly agree with this.

I'm still going to college. I'm quite proud of the fact that I'm much older than many college students, and I have MUCH less debt than they do. And I'm not too awful far from having no debt, other than my home. And I'll have a collee degree, to boot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Never lived on campus, never joined a frat, never participated in any of the student groups.

I rented a room in someone's home....worked 30-40 hours/week.
Paid $200/month and did all of the home improvements (remodeled the kitchen, light plumbing, electrical, blead the radiators every year).

Took me 5 years to graduate with a BA.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just barely clear $1050 a month, not counting books, but it certainly nice.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
In my observation, the only way to handle helicopter parents is to shoot at the tail rotor.

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
As a teacher, yes.  Helicopter parents abound!  They can often be a nightmare for teachers and nearly ruin the lives of their kids before they even get a chance.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

In my observation, the only way to handle helicopter parents is to shoot at the tail rotor.

_MaH

What if they use a coaxial rotor system?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is based on BAH for a E-5 (with or without dependents) in your zip code. It ain't $1500 everywhere.

$1,800 a month up here

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
The examples cited in the article are mild.  Examples I see are far more extreme.  Severity may be proportional to socioeconomic status as well.

I wonder whether these kids stand a better or worse chance in their lives than victims of more traditional forms of parental abuse and neglect.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

_MaH

Building kick.

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

_MaH

Building kick.

_MaH

I like your style.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Okay, I'll admit that I've never lived away from home, but crying because you're living at college for twenty weeks?

I mean, if you're going off to war, I can understand, but college?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Mommy and Daddy can't be there forever.  I think it's better for people to realize this at an age younger than 18.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I sure as hell wouldn't have tolerated any of that when I was headed to school.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Best week of my life taking my son 2000 miles away to college, setting him up in an apartment, buying a car, and telling him: "have at it".
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would like to see this list of crap you supposedly need.

I had a friend that lived next to me in a dorm that had a bed with one sheet, TV, fridge, microwave, playstation2, and like 4 changes of clothes in his dorm and thats it.

No decorations, no posters, no computer, no bookbag, nothing else.

Oh, and the fridge always had as much Keystone Light as was going to last the night which was usually just a 12'r.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#24]
"If they ask you 'What's the best time of your life?' I think everybody will say college," her dad says. "So make the most of it."

"Have fun," her mom adds. "But don't forget about the academics."

Worst advice ever. College is not a vacation. It is war. Its deathly serious and one of the most important investments you'll ever make. Considering that the world is flooded with college grads these days, failure to make the sacrifices necessary to rise above the competition will lead to ruin.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Sheeple raising sheeple.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Fark headline: Woman dies in helicopter parent crash

Mom dies in fall from UNC dorm bunk

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — A Nash County woman died Aug. 20 after a fall at a dormitory on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Donna Sykes, 49, was spending the night at Kenan Residence Hall with her daughter, Jesse.

Campus police were called to the room where they found Donna Sykes unconscious after a fall and a blow to the head, according to Randy Young of UNC's Public Safety Department.

Karen Moon, a UNC spokeswoman, said Sykes's death was an accident but declined to elaborate.

A memorial service was held last week.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#27]
i lived w/ my parents through 3 years of college, it sucked(except for financially).  Now, they kicked me out, and i have a lot more time for school, I worry about my own shit, its actually a lot less stressfull, even with working more hours to pay for rent.  Thats my experience
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hilarious!

RF

same here.  I took out some loans.  My personal beliefs are that pussies arent raised.  They just ARE. My mom cries because im independent and dont let her do my finances (just drives me away even more).  I'd rather do it myself and say "I did this with some help" than "my parents wiped my ass till i was 25"
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

false.  Room and board is outragous.  You can find appartments 10-20 minutes away from most schools for a resonalble price.  Next to campus is $400/month for a dorm(4 room).  I live in a house w/2 guys and a girl for $200.  Work and go part time.  the "I cant attitude" is why this country is going to shit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"If they ask you 'What's the best time of your life?' I think everybody will say college," her dad says. "So make the most of it."

"Have fun," her mom adds. "But don't forget about the academics."

Worst advice ever. College is not a vacation. It is war. Its deathly serious and one of the most important investments you'll ever make. Considering that the world is flooded with college grads these days, failure to make the sacrifices necessary to rise above the competition will lead to ruin.

which is why a college degree means less and less.  Having a degree in anything used to mean something, not anymore.  My friend (was active navy and got education in electronics) is making more than most college kids.

+1!
A lot of my friends(me included) actually went for tough degrees (or know how to use what we are going for) and will actually do something.  A lot of people i talk to from high school are going for business and working for $30-$40k per year.  They had a lot of fun in college(i had a couple fun nights - 2 per semester maybe).  Who will be having fun in 5 years?

college is like anything else, pay now, play later.  Or play now, pay later.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

_MaH

I wonder if helicopter parents from the hood are called ghettobird parents?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Not sure that buying your kid a set of sheets for their dorm bed qualifies as intrusive parenting.

Now, interfering with grades, buying them a queen sized bed frame, bribing another kid to swap so they get a room away from the elevator, yeah.

But buying sheets and detergent?  Pfft.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

I wonder if helicopter parents from the hood are called ghettobird parents?

A sad counterpoint to the original article is that I don't think you see any helicopter parents from the hood.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1,800 a month up here

Aviator

Wow that must be nice, I think it's 800 here. plus I got a letter in the mail last week telling me it's going down! I never thought that'd happen but I guess I live in the only area in the country where the cost of living decreases. I believe I might actually go back to the old GI bill if I can, I would probably make more off of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Mommy and Daddy can't be there forever.  I think it's better for people to realize this at an age younger than 18.

Sounds like it's the parents in this case that need to realize that.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#36]
My mom tried to be a helicopter parent when I first moved out, but realized that as I became busier with work, classes, firefighting and traveling all over the world, I had my shit together. I took over paying for college the second year and never asked them for money since. Nothing wrong with being close to your family when you're in that transitional phase in your life, your parents need the space as much as you do.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) –– The hour when Ariana Kramer will begin her college career is fast approaching - and her parents are in an office supply store, disagreeing about hanging files, of all things.

"She'll need them," her mother says.

"I don't think so," her dad counters.

Ariana, meanwhile, walks dreamily through the store, offering no opinion on this particular decision. She is, in fact, confident that she will have what she needs when she starts her freshman year at the University of Iowa.

She has mom, the family organizer, with her, and dad, the calm encourager. And they have "the list," which mom printed from one of those "what-you'll-need-at-college" websites.

New laptop. Check.

Comforter with matching sheets. Check.

Laundry detergent. Body wash. Antacid.

Check. Check. Check.

Read the rest Here

Helicopter parents?   WTF is going on here?  Any of you have experiences with this (Either as a parent or student)?   Post your thoughts here.

Hell, my recruiter was the one to give me a ride to the MEPS station. MY parents were the direct opposite of "helicopter".  They figured the best lesson you learned was the one you figured out for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Message to parents: After you have established your child knows where his/her room and the dining hall are located, LEAVE.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like my wife.

Our son leaves in January and she is already making lists, buying stuff, etc.

I gave her the face and removed myself from the equation.

FWIW: When I left for college, I pulled off a job site sometime after midnight. Five hours driving and four hours of sleep later, I was in the process of becoming a student.

I didn't know anyone in town, didn't know where anything was on the campus. . . . . .This nice little cajun girl offered to help me....  

WIN!

Parents need to back off and let their kids grow up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#40]
My roommate the first year had helicopter parents. I got a good meal every weekend thanks to them.

Kids was a complete schmuck, though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My roommate the first year had helicopter parents. I got a good meal every weekend thanks to them.

Kids was a complete schmuck, though.

Never had a roommate who had these.  I would have had issues if this was the case.   I ended up with international students all the time, so "helicoptering" was never an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top