BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]

It's right behind him. To the left.
I was there for only 3 days this year. Just cant seem to get off the couch today.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Do these people have jobs? Or do they just follow these nerdy conventions in the futile attempt of bagging a female dressed as some green or blue character who is piss drunk at the hotel bar?

Nerds...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do these people have jobs? Or do they just follow these nerdy conventions in the futile attempt of bagging a female dressed as some green or blue character who is piss drunk at the hotel bar?

A lot of these people have good jobs and like to get together with like minded people to hang out and discuss common interests.
The majority of the women there are nerds as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nerds...

Yup.  Most of us get paid a LOT.   That stuff is not cheap.  I'm buying a set of unfinished Bike scout Stormtrooper armor and it's gonna run me $400 plus weeks of painting/assembly time.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nerds...

Yup.  Most of us get paid a LOT.   That stuff not cheap.  I'm buying a set of unfinished Bike scout Stormtrooper armor and it's gonna run me $400 plus weeks of painting/assembly time.

LOL. Im just fucking with ya man. Looks fun for people that are into that sort of stuff. Im sure my 35 year old brother would love to go. He is a huge Star Wars/Star Treck fan.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Anyone else wondering if that's a live rifle?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Its plastic.

And to this whole thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We took my son and nephew to Dragon Con again this year.
Here is the measley BOTD link. More to come later tonight.
Ive spared you guys the 10lbs  of shit in a 5lb bag people and I tried my hardest to get the midget wonder woman. My little brother went back down there after we got back and hes going to try to get as many good pics as he can so check back for updates.
http://imgur.com/dIyaJ.jpg
http://imgur.com/dIyaJ.jpg" />

I predict the one of the purple twins will be photoshopped...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#9]

looks like Alice put on a little weight..... maybe she went to a magpul dynamics class and took that "twinkie, twinkie, ho ho" business a little to literally
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks like he cut the FSB off himself, so I bet Airsoft.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Looks more to me like the low-profile FSB that Bushmaster uses:

which just adds to my suspicion that the dude walked in with a live rifle.  Who checks them, anyhow?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Looks more to me like the low-profile FSB that Bushmaster uses:

http://sgcusa.com/images/large/Bushmaster_Predator_A.jpg

which just adds to my suspicion that the dude walked in with a live rifle.  Who checks them, anyhow?

No one.   At celebration 5 there was a guy with a live P08 Luger.  He just put a blaster nozzle on it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
One of my favorites!

Some more good ones at io9.
http://io9.com/5630809/epic-and-eclectic-costuming-at-dragoncon/gallery/
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Botd pics updated.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#16]
This guy needed to be there.   Good part starts about 56 seconds in.

This would scare the shit out of little kids at halloween.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmWciSRWjI

And 2:43 for this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ckZZbNQ3E

The guy has got a ton of others.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nerds...

Hotel rooms were running about $200/night.  Badges were about $70 if ordered far enough in advance, $100 at the door.  Fire of Brazil, a $50/person Brazilian steakhouse was full last night.  Dragon*Con is BIG bucks, I've heard $500M in revenue for the weekend.  I know the bar in the Hyatt alone probably pulls in seven figures in receipts a night.  The management of the hotel conglomerate that includes the three main convention hotels built an entirely new skywalk between the Hyatt and the Marriott specifically designed for Dragon*Con traffic.

Yes, there are poor geeks for whom this is their entire discretionary budget for most of the year.  There are also LOTS of professional businesspeople there, all the way up to C-level executives, neurosurgeons, pilots, etc...  This year, for the first time, they had a functional firearms/weaponry display.  I didn't make it, but according to Kevin Dockery, who was in charge of it and has an Army special operations background and has coauthored a large number of books with Navy SEALs, in addition the machineguns and suppressors he had paperwork for, they also had a simulated nuke.

A few years ago, I was at a party in one of the main hotels, one of the hotel security dweebs threw a fit and shut it down (and it was laughable, he brought three cops with him, only explanation is he thought he was shutting down a different party with underage drinking, for this particular party, three cops was either serious overkill or seriously outnumbered).  Two days after Dragon*Con, the person hosting the party accepted a position as the international head of security for a major international financial firm.  About six months later, he sent an advisory out that he had personally evaluated the professionalism and quality of security at that chain's hotels and found it lacking, and that no employees transporting corporate confidential documentation could use their facilities.  Security dweeb's job application at a major Atlanta area police department was circular-filed with comments about personality issues.  A senior  executive at the hotel company took the fall to appease the major international corporation, and said security dweeb was later encountered applying for a job at a nightclub in a more rural area near Atlanta.  Sadly, he didn't recognize the owner of the club as the same guy who had been checking ID's at the party...  Oh, said executive for international financial company?  Former BUD/S OIC for Hell Week.  The other main organizers for the party were all active military officers, including Air Force pilots in a special operations squadron, helo pilots, Army MI officers, etc...  Guests in the room at the time included a prominent neurosurgeon, New York Times bestselling authors, radio hosts, etc...

The standing joke is that nothing better go wrong in corporate IT on Labor Day weekend because all the IT guys are at Dragon*Con partying, especially from the Atlanta and Chattanooga IT markets.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Nerds...
They have to have jobs.  Those costumes are expensive as fuck to make.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
WTF? What a sad state of affairs. Back in the 60s, the "science fiction geeks" would get together to discuss how mankind would reach Mars in the next decade or so. In the 70s and 80s, they brought their collective nerdy brainpower to bear upon tasks such as discovering extra-terrestrial civilizations, and winning nuclear holocausts. They might dress up and drink a lot of booze, but they always had good ideas.

I gotta think these dorks dressed up as Cartoon Network characters and swilling vodka Red Bulls while acting out Ke$ha videos at 3am in some hotel ballroom aren't exactly  the future "smart kids" of our time - the real smart guys are off actually making a difference somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

WTF? What a sad state of affairs. Back in the 60s, the "science fiction geeks" would get together to discuss how mankind would reach Mars in the next decade or so. In the 70s and 80s, they brought their collective nerdy brainpower to bear upon tasks such as discovering extra-terrestrial civilizations, and winning nuclear holocausts. They might dress up and drink a lot of booze, but they always had good ideas.

I gotta think these dorks dressed up as Cartoon Network characters and swilling vodka Red Bulls while acting out Ke$ha videos at 3am in some hotel ballroom aren't exactly  the future "smart kids" of our time - the real smart guys are off actually making a difference somewhere.

Or they were at the actual programming panels at Dragon*Con...  You know, the Science track, the Robotics track, the Space track, the Gaming Programming track...  Not to mention all of the art and literature tracks.  Of course, the rock concerts were fun, too.  Btw, many of those same "science fiction geeks" from the 60's would go to conventions then, as well.  I know I talked to at least one NASA scientist in between panels Sunday, I'll see him again in two weeks at a different science fiction convention.   Btw, want those science fiction geeks to build something?  Vote in a government that doesn't defund the space program.  Although at least one guy I know who was at Dragon*Con is a venture capitalist working with one of the private corporations working on space flight.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top