Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2002 10:03:42 PM EDT
In a wierd way though.  You know when you see something & no matter what else is out there that might fit better you have to have it?  That happ'd to me last wknd at the gun show when I saw an Enfield Ishapore 2A in .308 at the gun show.  My roommate has a .303 Brit Enfield so I saw no need but when I saw this in .308 w/ that distinctive Ishapore look...  Anyway, went to a local place and found one in great condition, w/ its original numbered mag!  Bought that pup& the check took only 5 min's.   I left it there though b/c I have to work this wknd & wanted the gunsmith to check the old thing out before I take it to the range, but I can't wait!   Anyway, time to save for the Garand, 1st AK, or 1st 1911?
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw this show on the History Channel last week about the Guns of Afghanistan.  The Afghanistans used the Enfield very effectively against the Soviets.  They would get out of range of the AK74s and pick the Soviets off with the longer range Enfield.  The show credited the guns as being one of the primary reason the Soviets lost.

Good choice.  How come you don't have a M1A on your list?
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i love my enfield. I put it off forever because i just thought they were the ugliest rifles ever made. Then i bought one and shot it. They are a shooters rifle for sure.
View Quote

I have been considering getting one as well, but people say that they kick hard, compared to say a Garand or a FAL.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been considering getting one as well, but people say that they kick hard, compared to say a Garand or a FAL. What do you think?
View Quote

It will definitely kick more than a Garand or FAL, but should be manageable.  The .303 is nearly equivalent to a .308, have you ever shot a bolt gun in .308?

I have to go with a Garand, though.  It's a great rifle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
  Anyway, time to save for the Garand, 1st AK, or 1st 1911?
View Quote

Yes, of course.
View Quote

All of the above, though I don't own a Garand yet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I was totally blown away at the accuracy of my .308 Ishapore.

It has to be one of my top three best buys in guns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of curiosity, what is the typical age of the Ishapore rifles?  And they were made in India, correct?
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyway, time to save for the Garand, 1st AK, or 1st 1911?
View Quote
First things first. You GOTTA get a P1907 bayonet! The rifle just ain't complete without a pig-sticker.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]
... Don't tumble it with your 5.56MM brass. Don't mix .45ACP & 9MM brass either.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
308 in a Garand,M14 or FAL is a cake walk. Bolt guns get your attention. Shot one of the YUGO 8mm M48s at the range not long ago. I would hate to think about shooting one of those all day long! I guess you get used to anything though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Recoil will uh, "let you know it's there," and in a big way, but it isn't all THAT bad. I'm lightly built, and the first time I shot mine, I was wearing only a t-shirt and jeans, and I fired about 200 rds through it (so much fun I couldn't stop). Wasn't all that bad; hell, the rifles' weight soaks up a lot of the recoil.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The Ishapore I bought was 1966 manufacture.  Got it from Collector's Firearms in Houston (www.collectorsfirearms.com) - very cool place.  They had 2 '66s & 1 '67.  Liked the feel & look of the wood/steel of mine more than the othe two, plues the steel stamped crown was clearly visible.  Original #'d mag, the .308 mags are flat bottomed apparently while the .303 mags are rounded.  My roommate has a .303 & that SOB turned my shoulder into ground beef after an hour at the range...  

Anyway, I'm actually surprised & pleased at the response this thread about old bolt actions has gotten.  Also, when I bought the gun, one of the guys in the store also came by to tell me what a good deer gun it was!  

Now, why a Garand for my nxt purchase?  Well when I was a kid my parents used to buy me WW2 history books.  I think they instilled a sense of understanding the war in good v. evil terms & I associated the Garand w/ the good - a tool of freedom.  So I want one badly, just want to save up & get the right one.

Now, I was disappointed I couldn't get the bayonet w/ it (didn't have one that fit it), but now that someone mentioned the P1907 bayonet, I will make it my week's goal to find one!

Man, can't wait to go to the range on Wednesday...
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Enfield Heaven : [url]http://www.bdlltd.com/mil_sale.htm[/url]

I remeber when I shot a scoped no.5 jungle carbine in .303 , I'd never felt so much recoil
and got hit in the forehead with the scope [:I]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Try Sarco's ad in SGN for a P1907 bayonet. IIRC, they run for $39.95, scabbard included.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#17]
There is nothing quite like the thrill, after the range officer calls a cease fire, of fixing your bayonet, running 100 yards while making loud noises, and sticking your paper target where it hurts.  Not recommended if you are at all self conscious.  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Congrats Jobux.  Last year I also joined the .308 club.  I got a Swiss Rubin from my father for just $100.  It was originally chambered in 7.5, has been sporterized and has a sweet trigger.  It was the first rifle I ever shoot when I was 12 years old...I will never get rid of it and when I die it goes to my son or daughter.

Sgtar15

PS And yes, it gets my attention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top