Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2010 2:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 2:55:23 PM EDT by capnrob97]
I have never seen one of these in person.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:57:39 PM EDT
Look at all those people run!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:03:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cromlech:

Note to self: Don't stand directly behind a B1 on takeoff.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:22:10 PM EDT

Yep, Darwin and Murphy are chasing them.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:29:00 PM EDT
I lived 1/4 mile from the runway at Grand Forks while the B1s were there. Me and my oldest (3 at the time) would walk down to the fence line to see them take off. We couldn't keep pictures straight on the wall and had to leave rattlespace between the dishes in the cupboard, because when those monsters would take off, the entire house would shake. We lost three glasses broken in the cabinet before we figured out what was going on.

It's a 146ft-long fighter aircraft with a crew of four. Amazing aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:30:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 3:30:42 PM EDT by cmjohnson]
"Hey, Captain...those photogs at the end of the strip aren't moving. Should we ask security to kick them out?"

"Don't worry, son...they'll move."

CJ
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:36:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By limaxray:
I lived 1/4 mile from the runway at Grand Forks while the B1s were there. Me and my oldest (3 at the time) would walk down to the fence line to see them take off. We couldn't keep pictures straight on the wall and had to leave rattlespace between the dishes in the cupboard, because when those monsters would take off, the entire house would shake. We lost three glasses broken in the cabinet before we figured out what was going on.

It's a 146ft-long fighter aircraft with a crew of four. Amazing aircraft.

As someone that missed being your neighbor by a few months, I can back you up 100%.
<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" /> <input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:38:29 PM EDT
I saw one taxing one time at WPAFB one time , it's a amazing airplane :) Much more capable than a b52, but not nearly as old.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:39:36 PM EDT
Awesome aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:42:31 PM EDT
The only B1s I have seen close up were in the boneyard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:48:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:51:59 PM EDT
I have a funny story about a small 80% run at Nellis that made me a marked man in Germany. We blew over several booths at Air shows too, just turning the jet on the spot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:56:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 4:07:00 PM EDT by limaxray]
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
The only B1s I have seen close up were in the boneyard.

Actually had a REALLY cool opportunity about 1991, when they were still sitting nuclear alert...we sent two missile crews over to the bomb wing, and they sent two bomber crews over to the missile wing. We were cleared for the other's SIOP category for the day, so I had the chance to climb all over one of the planes in the hangar, fly their simulator for about 15 minutes, tour the alert facility and get their Top Secret mission brief.

Like I said, an amazingly capable aircraft. And the mission brief was VERY interesting.

ETA: Worthless without pics....

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:20:37 PM EDT
I like to go sit off the flightline at Ellsworth on some of my days off

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:31:49 PM EDT
In Soviet Russia, Bone Blows You!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:32:50 PM EDT

I love that aircraft! Looks like it could really haul ass for such a big bird
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:36:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 2A373:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWoqa5nGmk

Was that at the Alaskan Red Flag?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:42:26 PM EDT
I saw one flying very low one day in 2000 over SW Florida. Very sexy!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:02:34 PM EDT
at the f16 tipping over.

Seriously.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:06:24 PM EDT
I love the bone, but you can't see from the pictures just how broke-as-shit they are. Great to watch but glad I've never had to work them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:09:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 2A373:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWoqa5nGmk

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:10:11 PM EDT
Was out in a field in KS hunting pheasant back in 97 and one of those blew right over me at maybe 150' AGL. Wings swept. Hauling ASS.

First heard a low rumble; turned around and WHOOSH!!!!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:20:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
I love the bone, but you can't see from the pictures just how broke-as-shit they are. Great to watch but glad I've never had to work them.

AMEN!
<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" /> <input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 5:23:58 PM EDT by limaxray]

Broken Bones?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:34:51 PM EDT

Broken Bones?

http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/b-1b_recovery_1.jpg

I wonder what happened to that crew do you think they got there wings pulled?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:35:32 PM EDT
When I was younger I loved the sound of those things taking off. Few things sound more patriotic than a B-1 with afterburners. When I visit home I keep an ear out for them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:38:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By realwar:

Broken Bones?

Good question. I looked up the pilots that landed the C-17 gear up a while ago and one is still flying, the other has a desk job.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:41:54 PM EDT

Broken Bones?

Good question. I looked up the pilots that landed the C-17 gear up a while ago and one is still flying, the other has a desk job.

Odds are the one still flying was the copilot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:44:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Seansworth:
When I was younger I loved the sound of those things taking off. Few things sound more patriotic than a B-1 with afterburners. When I visit home I keep an ear out for them.

I have heard it before too... Wow!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:53:34 PM EDT
Tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:55:04 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:56:23 PM EDT
Those B1's are cool BUT when I stood under one during an air show I notice the HUGE pools of oil/fluid dripping from them had to move cause they leak like a 1968 Harley...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:56:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Was out in a field in KS hunting pheasant back in 97 and one of those blew right over me at maybe 150' AGL. Wings swept. Hauling ASS.

First heard a low rumble; turned around and WHOOSH!!!!

When we were fishing around Adak don't know what the guys were flying but they'd come in low enough I bet you could have hit them with a rock, boom we'd hear them and they were gone
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:58:02 PM EDT
I LOL'd at the fucksticks standing behind that B1
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:58:22 PM EDT

Those B1's are cool BUT when I stood under one during an air show I notice the HUGE pools of oil/fluid dripping from them had to move cause they leak like a 1968 Harley...

The SR-71 did too, on the ground. Once it got up there, it sealed up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 6:00:25 PM EDT by Chairborne]

That's the main supply warehouse for Dyess and Ellsworth. I can't count the number of times I heard those poor bastards discussing "AMARC pulls". Yeah I know it's AMARG now, but old habits die hard. It really sucks to ground an aicraft because you either have to machine a part from billet, or pull it from the boneyard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:59:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By capnrob97:

The SR-71 did too, on the ground. Once it got up there, it sealed up.

Bones don't though, we just dump it in faster than it can leak out (in most cases).
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:06:16 AM EDT

Blocker valve leaks. The originally the spoilers would stay up (some say by design, other by trapped hydro pressure). SAC wouldn't accept that since most bases were northern tier and these would sit alert. So Rockwell installed a simple bleed off system that drained the pressure/fluid to a ganged blocking valve. This caused huge spills on shut down and massive seeps afterward. We dealt with hoses and cans attached for years until they modified the system with a reservoir.

Well and good, but they only put in a 1 gallon reservoir in each wing and the spoiler actuators and lines held more......mess was reduced, but still there....Also, where the hydro systems were totally isolated for redundancy, this reservoir effectively connected three systems. Still ok for redundant operation, but allows cross contamination if the fluid has issues.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:39:25 AM EDT
I worked security with the B-1's at Ellsworth for 20 years and that was the first time I've seen one do a barrel roll...nice!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:45:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By capnrob97:

Note to self: Don't stand directly behind a B1 on takeoff.

I'm surprised they let bystanders stand there? imagine any fod kicked up hitting those people, a small shard of concrete could kill someone! I'm guessing that was Boeing or some overseas Demo, they would never do that at Airshows.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:32:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
at the f16 tipping over.

Seriously.

But the best part of that video was that the guy kept filming the bones taking off, and not staying focused on the sideways fighter. Which is weird, as he would have had the chance to watch a bomber launch a bunch of times, but who gets to see an F-16 blown sideways?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:35:00 AM EDT
My son flies the B-1b. He does not talk about it or it's performance much. Maybe he can't. But this is for sure...it is one awesome machine.
I don't see video of a B-52 or B-2 doing a barrell roll. Down low and fast it's catch me if you can.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:42:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:22:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WOODUP2:
My son flies the B-1b. He does not talk about it or it's performance much. Maybe he can't. But this is for sure...it is one awesome machine.
I don't see video of a B-52 or B-2 doing a barrell roll. Down low and fast it's catch me if you can.

You would never see the B-2 ...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:24:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

A B-52 would never recover from a barrel roll
Only in the WST.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:32:37 PM EDT

Well, they were Limeys......
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:34:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dpmmn:

A B-52 would never recover from a barrel roll

True, but there will still be B-52's flying when the last B-1 is in the boneyard.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:40:30 PM EDT
This man brought back the Bone.

While the douche bag before him killed it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:42:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sterling18:
This man brought back the Bone.

http://pubrecord.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ronald_reagan.jpg

While the douche bag before him killed it.

While that is commendable, and I'm damn glad he did, I wish we'd have retained the B-1A design, and had bought enough spares to keep the aircraft viable over the long term. It's a great idea with poor implementation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 10:03:03 PM EDT by Warhawk]
My dad was a Boeing engineer, when he finished launching Saturn V rockets to the moon, we moved to Seattle and he was on the design team for the B-1A avionics. Jimmy Carter came along and killed the B-1A, and we moved to Kansas where dad worked to adapt the offensive avionics package from the B-1A to the B-52.

Then Ronaldus Magnus came along and the B-1 was resurrected as the B-1B. Dad immediately went back to work on the B-1B and was the Site Activation Task Force manager for Boeing at Dyess. I was in the USAF at the time and came home on leave from Germany and was able to go into the cockpit of the first operational B-1B.

Years later I lived just off the south end of the runway of McConnell AFB in Kansas when the KS Air Guard was flying the B-1B. A MITO takeoff at 6am on a weekend will most definitely get your attention!

I went to an Air Force Academy football game a few years ago. They always have a flyover before the kickoff. This time it was a B-1B with the wings laid back in full burner at about .99 mach, 100 feet above the scoreboard. Instant hard on!!!

These days I occasionally inspect some B-1B spares before they are shipped to the Air Force.

I loves me some B-1 Bomber.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:22:23 PM EDT
I DO hope Capt Jeffery from Oregon had permission to do those barrel rolls......

As the announcer said his name over the PA.....

Very Fucking Cool.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top