Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 8:05:06 PM EDT
i went to the gibraltar trade center this afternoon and was amazed at what i saw.  the makings of a good gunshow.  it used to be awesome, then the management did their level best to push the shows out a few years ago, cancelling them altogether,
i've noticed a steady improvement in the last 2 years, to almost an "average" show.(of course, no comparison to the birch run show, or some of the ohio shows i've been to)  for example, i actually was able to pick up some wolff springs, SA battlepacks and some nice prebans.
let's hope this trend continues there!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Brian. How were the prices?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]
not bad, i talked to the crazy conspiracy kneepad guy and got some really worn range mags for 15.00(you know the guy)
the SA battlepacks were dated 1987 and were going for 40.00 and i got a set of wolff (3) increased power springs for 18.00
and 2, +2 baseplates for some glock mags i acquired ;-)(good mags BTW)
the refinished ar mags were 20.00   cool guy too, lotta sks stuff, he's a former of this forum, forgot his name.
and picked up some pmc 9mm for 7.50 a box.
(edited to add the guy with the refinished ar mags is in the middle aisle when you first walk in and on the end and shop around for the SA battlepacks, one guy had them for 50.00)
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
ehehehehe. Yeah, those prices are decent for a gun show. Gibraltar seems pretty good overall, for other stuff too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
ditto on the other stuff, i picked up a bunch of cool rugs there, sometimes i think english is a second language in that place!!!
i would be prepared to deal with idiots if you go this weekend due to some stupid parking lot carnival thing they have going, but this weekend is a good gunshow, i would definately talk to the guy with the mags though, new springs, permaslik coating and usgi followers, stay away from the black ones he has though (he just spraypainted them)  he told me those are his "teflon" mags.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL! I forgot about the kneepad guy! Havent seen him in awhile. It's good to hear the show is getting better, the last Gibraulter show I went to was in Mt. clemons and I think they had more beef jerky there than anything else,(that was 2 months ago). Nice to see some Mi. guys on here, I just got to this forum, and was wondering if there were any Michiganders here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
welcome aboard, yes we're here, some of us more than others, you should make a "i'm new" or "hello" post to introduce yourself!!!!
you'll love it, i just got my ar15.com license plate frames today, ironically i got them from fedex (as i was leaving the house)and put them on before i went to the gunshow today!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Licence plate frame? Thats cool. I would think about getting one, but I was pulled over and delayed for about 30 mins. Presumably because I had one of those on my truck. Never will I put one on again. I've got bad luck that way. I haven't posted a "hello" type post on any of the boards I visit, maybe i will this time though. I don't post too much, but I browse alot. By the way I'm going to post a gun in the for sale section here, would you guys like 1st crack at it? I really want to do a private sale, I don't want to monkey around with shipping, receiving payment, you know, all that stuff. I have the gun posted at MCRGO's site, but they seem more into deer guns, so, I don't know if I'll get many responses. I'm selling a M1A. Let me know if your interested.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Licence plate frame? Thats cool. I would think about getting one, but I was pulled over and delayed for about 30 mins. Presumably because I had one of those on my truck. Never will I put one on again. I've got bad luck that way. I haven't posted a "hello" type post on any of the boards I visit, maybe i will this time though. I don't post too much, but I browse alot. By the way I'm going to post a gun in the for sale section here, would you guys like 1st crack at it? I really want to do a private sale, I don't want to monkey around with shipping, receiving payment, you know, all that stuff. I have the gun posted at MCRGO's site, but they seem more into deer guns, so, I don't know if I'll get many responses. I'm selling a M1A. Let me know if your interested.
View Quote

oh, you will definately get responses, unfortunately, i just bought an m1a,which was supoid, since i have to drive an hour just to shoot it, i shoot my ars at an indoor range, no m1's though.[:(] just state that you would prefer a private transfer, and the ar15.com plate frame is legal, i just replaced the one the dealer had on there in the first place, it's just a plastic frame that holds the plate on , doesn't obscure anything.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I am currently looking for a place to shoot myself. My lic. plate frame diddn't obscure anything either. I think maybe something happened involving a truck similar to mine and he decided to check me out and that was his excuse, so I got rid of that excuse. But, there is always something else right? What M1a did you get? I have 2, and I'm trying to decide which one to sell. IMO, they are about the same due to my ability,(or lack there of). One is a "loaded" with less than 40 through it, and the other is a nat. match lnib, unfired. What to do? I want to sell one to help finance a preban ar, I don't really care witch one goes, I love em both, but I'm trying to decide which would go 1st?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks, I am currently looking for a place to shoot myself. My lic. plate frame diddn't obscure anything either. I think maybe something happened involving a truck similar to mine and he decided to check me out and that was his excuse, so I got rid of that excuse. But, there is always something else right? What M1a did you get? I have 2, and I'm trying to decide which one to sell. IMO, they are about the same due to my ability,(or lack there of). One is a "loaded" with less than 40 through it, and the other is a nat. match lnib, unfired. What to do? I want to sell one to help finance a preban ar, I don't really care witch one goes, I love em both, but I'm trying to decide which would go 1st?
View Quote

i've got the springy loaded, personally i would sell the nat'l match, what good is a rifle that you don't shoot unless it is a serious collector's piece?
sell to a dealer as a last resort, you'll get fucked otherwise.(edited to add, i would check out that gunshow, i saw quite a few prebans today, more than usual)
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes I know, the shops around here will tell me I'm lying and shot it 1500 times and it's worth 250.00 tops! LOL I know they got to eat too but damn!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes I know, the shops around here will tell me I'm lying and shot it 1500 times and it's worth 250.00 tops! LOL I know they got to eat too but damn!
View Quote

that's bullshit, THEY ALL HAVE FIRED, THAT'S HOW THEY MAKE THEM SO ACCURATE.
what part of MI do you live in?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I live in kensington metro park. Right by Brighton, Milford, south lyon. And you? By the way, I know I saw it before, but now I can't find where to click for a new post to say hello, I'm new. Were is it??
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live in kensington metro park. Right by Brighton, Milford, south lyon. And you? By the way, I know I saw it before, but now I can't find where to click for a new post to say hello, I'm new. Were is it??
View Quote

i live in monroe, to put in a new post, you have to be in the topic you want the new post to be in, this one will do, scroll to the top of your screen and click on "new topic"
it should be just above the first post on this page.  the only gunshop that is slightly fair in that area would be double action in eastpointe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the help. Off the top of my head, I can't think of where eastpoint is. I know I've heard of double action but I have not been there. The only stores close enough to me are gun barn ad guns galore........both have thier disadvantages. Is Eastpoint near Livonia? I don't get that way too often. I painted a couple of denny's restraunts down your way in Monroe. LOL. I like it down river, but not as much as I like it up here. I'm trying to find a new hous N.W. of here so I might be able to shoot in the yard.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

i live in monroe, to put in a new post, you have to be in the topic you want the new post to be in, this one will do, scroll to the top of your screen and click on "new topic"
it should be just above the first post on this page.  the only gunshop that is slightly fair in that area would be double action in eastpointe.
View Quote

Double action is in Madison Heights. just north of 14 mile on Dequindre..  And just for the record they are a bunch of sorry assed pieces of $hit.  One very large "NO CCW's" allowed here... Not to mention all the overprices range fees.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#17]
dbl action is near 14mile and dequindre.
yeah, both of those places will rape you, i'm originally from pinconning about 150 miles north of here, and i really miss being able to shooti in the backyard as a kid, i've been trying to get into a local gunclub for three years, and just now made it to the short list.
boy, the things we take for granted!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
What do you mean "no ccw here"? They have a sign that says that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What do you mean "no ccw here"? They have a sign that says that?
View Quote

YES
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Double action is in Madison Heights. just north of 14 mile on Dequindre..  And just for the record they are a bunch of sorry assed pieces of $hit.  One very large "NO CCW's" allowed here... Not to mention all the overprices range fees.
View Quote

amen to that, brother. the only good thing i have to say about those guys is that they gave me two good deals on trades, but their fees, prices (you'll get a good sell price, but don't buy there)and attitudes suck!!!!!! especially that dyke chick!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder what the heck for? Some sort of legal reason no doubt. Or they are sorry a$$ pieces of $h!t I guess. Did you ask them about it?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#22]
When I asked they simply said if you don't like it leave.  So I did.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't understand why a gunstore with a range would do that' Seems stupid. Oh well, it wont matter to me anyway, I don't have my CCW and I don't think I'm going to bother getting one either.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I asked they simply said if you don't like it leave.  So I did.
View Quote

you know what, i have a feeling you talked to the dyke or the guy named bruce, you just described their attitude.  the two times i was there was to sell guns, someone told me that they paid out well, and when i saw their prices, i knew why!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#26]
hey, hey lumpy223!!! how r ya?
i have tues and wednesday off and about 2000 rounds to burn, i'm going to use the directions you gave me a while back and check that place out.
idon't know if you got my post about it, but one of you "pit crew"(los veteranos) guys should organize some shoots "evry few months, don't want to scare the natives, and keep it small" so us new guys can go there and have some fun.   about 5 to 15 guys, guns, barbecue (fire regs allowing) clean up after detail(let's be good now), etc....
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
hey, hey lumpy223!!! how r ya?
i have tues and wednesday off and about 2000 rounds to burn, i'm going to use the directions you gave me a while back and check that place out.
idon't know if you got my post about it, but one of you "pit crew"(los veteranos) guys should organize some shoots "evry few months, don't want to scare the natives, and keep it small" so us new guys can go there and have some fun.   about 5 to 15 guys, guns, barbecue (fire regs allowing) clean up after detail(let's be good now), etc....
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Hmmm....

I live in the Detroit area and shoot at Double Action fairly often.

I must say in their defense that only allowing their people to carry in the store is an understandable policy on their part, I dont like it, but understand it. They feel that if they are going to be held up and someone pulls a gun on them at the counter, then they start shooting at these unknown assailants.... they dont want honest guys pulling guns and getting shot by them, since they wont know who is good or who is bad. I dont like it but do recognize a very valid point.

Btw, I have carried for a number of years now and not a newbie to this.

As far as dealing with a gunshop to buy guns... dont like the prices then just dont buy there. Simple.

And there are some cool people that work there too. Al, one of the owners is cool as heck... great guy.... his partner the big fat idiot... is def. not cool. He is a sphincter. Really. Cherrystone clams have better people skills than he does. So, you take the good with the bad.

And as far as ranges go... there aint crap round these parts to go and shoot rifles at, black ones that is. Nothing but stupid one at a time load old fart hunting drunks. I quit the Detroit Sportsmans Congress just because of that, after I wrote a letter telling them to concentrate on shooting and to close the damn bar at the range. Those guys can line up individually and kiss my tac rifle shooting behind. AAAAAAAAAARGH. The only friendly range is the Livingstone gun club out by Brighton. And that is waaaaaaaaaaaay far out there. What a drag.

There really is a need for new ranges in SE MI.

Dram out
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Livingston is not far from me at all. I can be in Brighton in 5 mins. But, I missed the day that they had free membership sign up so I'm out of luck again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top