Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/4/2010 7:08:52 AM EDT
My wife and both my daughters are guilty of brake torture. Drives me absolutely insane. Dropped off my truck last night at the inlaws so they could use it this weekend . Hop in the passanger seat of the wife's car and off we go. First stop sign we come to it feels as if she is going to just blow through the damn thing. Then at seemingly the very last second she hits the brakes. In my head I am thinking  WTF.
Not that I have not seen this happen before but it had been a while since I have had to ride with her.
I just shook my head and let it go. Obviously the seemingly hundreds times of trying to explain to her over the years why driving like that is not only unsafe but it is EXTREMELY hard on the breaking system has not sunk in.

Also I see my daughters pull away from our house and it seems like as soon as they put it in drive they flat out just stomp on the gas pedal. I have told them also over and over to ease into the pedal save a little gas and wear and tear on the car. I dont say much to them about it anymore either. Get tired of hearing myself say the same shit over and over to them . Just to hear them say "oh ok"
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#1]
hell, we will be coming up on a red light and my GF will still be accelerating.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

EXACTLY. This is what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
My son used to ask me why I let off the gas and gradually decelerate (within reason) when coming up to a stop light or sign. He used to do the same thing, come up quickly then hit the brakes.

When he saw me get over 100K out of a set of front pads, and still have 30 percent wear left on them, he understood.

And I by no means drive like a geezer either. It's all about energy management.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#4]
i tried to understand why some women drive this way but i gave up.i will never understand it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My son used to ask me why I let off the gas and gradually decelerate (within reason) when coming up to a stop light or sign. He used to do the same thing, come up quickly then hit the brakes.

When he saw me get over 100K out of a set of front pads, and still have 30 percent wear left on them, he understood.

Yeah I have often thought it stems mainly from them just not knowing how shit works. The wife has no clue what a set of brake pads even look like, not to mention how they function.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#6]
If I'm in a car I'm driving, that simple.

Cuts out a lot of headaches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I've found that often if you slow down to a sensible speed and take it easy, you are still rolling as the light changes from red, to amber, to green and can just go straight on and accelerate. Much nicer than stop-start.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is annoying as hell, all I can think of is how glad I am her car maintenance isn't my problem.   I had a wife once and she did the same shit, I was getting 65,000 plus miles out of pads on my full size truck and her honda accord needed pads replaced every 20k miles.  I am like a brake pad changing expert at this point.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
It drives me insane too, major pet peeve.

Ask them to help you change brake pads next time
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I wait til the last second to pull out, so I guess we're even.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've found that often if you slow down to a sensible speed and take it easy, you are still rolling as the light changes from red, to amber, to green and can just go straight on and accelerate. Much nicer than stop-start.

Your lights do that in Great Britain?

Here it's just Green, yellow, red, back to green and repeat.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag to show this thread to the wife.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My wife and both my daughters are guilty of brake torture. Drives me absolutely insane. Dropped off my truck last night at the inlaws so they could use it this weekend . Hop in the passanger seat of the wife's car and off we go. First stop sign we come to it feels as if she is going to just blow through the damn thing. Then at seemingly the very last second she hits the brakes. In my head I am thinking  WTF.

Not that I have not seen this happen before but it had been a while since I have had to ride with her.

I just shook my head and let it go. Obviously the seemingly hundreds times of trying to explain to her over the years why driving like that is not only unsafe but it is EXTREMELY hard on the breaking system has not sunk in.

Also I see my daughters pull away from our house and it seems like as soon as they put it in drive they flat out just stomp on the gas pedal. I have told them also over and over to ease into the pedal save a little gas and wear and tear on the car. I dont say much to them about it anymore either. Get tired of hearing myself say the same shit over and over to them . Just to hear them say "oh ok"

It's faster.
Dropping the throttle and slowly decelerating takes up too much time. WFOT to the stop light / stop sign, slam on brakes. WFOT when it turns green or is clear to go.
New tires and new brakes will generally last 15k-20k miles in this type of driving scenario. If you don't drive too many miles, it's about even for those that log 30k miles a year. More highway driving is easier on your brakes and transmission. People that say they get 500k miles out of their car don't mention that 90% of it was done on highways where they may not have to touch the brakes for miles. In my after work commute, I could get by with using the brakes 3 times for the entire 20 mile trip!!
If you want to blame anything, blame the fucking politician and lawyer weenies that want STOP signs and multiple traffic lights. Take out all the unnecessary stop signs, put in YIELD signs, and replace busy intersections with properly designed traffic circles. BLUF: Design the traffic system as if 99.9% of the population drives manual transmissions so people don't have to keep coming to a complete stop for every stupid thing.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#14]
so you like to ride your brakes?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
so you like to ride your brakes?

Not sure if you are talking to me. But no I dont ride my brakes. I let off the gas and coast before I come to a sign or light, then ease into the breaks when needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The less you use your brakes the better driver I think you are, except for must-stops like stop signs and badly timed signals.  Drives me crazy to see people come up to a group of slower moving traffic and have to brake.  People just cannot think ahead.  

Quoted:

+1 on that for a healthy marriage (for me/the driver anyways).  My wife does not know how to apply smooth power to maintain a given speed on the roadway.  Gas - coast - gas - coast - GAS GAS - coast - gas - brake Brake shit BRAKE - GAS repeat ad nauseum...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Drives me nuts. Luckily, she prefers me to drive, so I rarely have to experience that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm a fairly aggressive driver and I still managed over 150k miles on the brakes in my TDI.  I haven't touched them except to flush the brake fluid once.  Like you said, I don't fly up to a stop sign and slam on the brakes.  I also give my brakes a little "rest" as I'm slowing, if that makes any sense.  Brake moderately, coast for a second, brake to a stop.  Supposedly that makes the brakes last a little longer.  Then, assuming I'm not about to be rear-ended, I take my foot off the brake after I'm stopped, so if things are still hot, they cool evenly and I don't get any warping.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your lights do that in Great Britain?

Here it's just Green, yellow, red, back to green and repeat.

They do that in Germany too.  I think it's so people with a manual (most people, in Europe) can get in gear.  You know how in America when the light turns green, if you're 5 or 6 cars back, it takes 30 seconds before you can move?  Not a problem in Europe, the light turns and everyone is rolling.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, just the way women are. Every vehicle my wife has driven she's warped the brake rotors in the first 20k miles. Just did the brakes on her SUV, 60k miles, new front rotors, & front & rear pads. And FWIW, I use a torque wrench (not to be confused with an air impact) to torque the lugs. On her previous vehicle, same thing. I made the mistake of having the rotors machined, hard spots galore. Had to replace them anyway. I'm willing to bet they don't let women drive M1 Abrams........
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Put a glass of water on the console or dash. Learn to drive without spilling it.
Best use of this technique was Bob Hoover flying his entire airshow in the Shrike Commander with a glass of water on the instrument panel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Silly, wimmenz don't drive when there is a man in the car.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i tried to understand why some women drive this way but i gave up.i will never understand it.
them

Fixed it

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and on the cellphone to boot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I found out my GF's too short to reach the pedals properly on my suburban, she can barely get the ball of her foot on the bottom of the gas or brake if she's a safe distance from the air bag.  Because of that she has absolutely zero fine pedal control, she's either full-gas, full-brake or coast.  I about cried when she would cycle constantly between 1k RPM to 2k RPM on the 6L V8 as if there was nothing in between, and she wasn't happy when she got <9mpg vs my normal 12-13mpg and I asked her to fill the tank after she used it for a week.

Suffice to say, she's not allowed to drive my truck except in extreme emergencies. Mainly cause I don't want to vomit in my own passenger seat.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#26]
25 feet is less than 10 yards.   I don't think it is possible to stop a vehicle in 25 feet, is it?  Maybe 25 yards...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Wife does that also.

Plus she does it in the winter time when there is a lot of ice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#28]
this is why i drive a standard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Starting to slowly brake (break) 200 yards from the stop sign is far worse on the brakes (breaks) than rolling up and just stopping.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Many women seem to think of the gas pedal and brake pedal as on/off switches. Drives me crazy too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
25 feet is less than 10 yards.   I don't think it is possible to stop a vehicle in 25 feet, is it?  Maybe 25 yards...

Women have trouble with distances and measurement because they have been told everything is 8" long.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#32]
My theory is that they all start out on cute little chick cars and then decide to drive the same way when they get that Expedition.  Unnerving when some middle-aged woman roars up to your rear bumper at a stop in some massive truck.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Depth perception motherfucker: they don't speak it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Many women seem to think of the gas pedal and brake pedal as on/off switches. Drives me crazy too.

No, they're blood pressure switches for any men in the car, though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I took a defensive driving course once to reduce my insurance price and there was this woman in the class who was about 45-50 years old.  When the instructor was talking about driving he said something like" When you are driving and you see up ahead that there might be something that could make you possibly stop take your foot off the gas and just hold it over the brake in case you might need it and just coast."  This woman said " That's a really good idea. I didn't think of that." and started writing down.  
How did she get through 30+ years of driving without knowing this common sense?  

Women do not have common sense and logic when it comes to driving( and everything else).
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#36]
My similar rant from a few days ago...

Red Light Approach Speed...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#37]
I honestly believe women (and some men to be fair) do this because they don't understand how the brakes actually work and what hard braking does to their vehicle.   My wife does this also and it drives me nuts.  Of course she's not the one who has to fix them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#38]
25 ft.? Hell no try 5 ft. much more interesting. I try and take a nap when she drives that way I can not see the end of my life comming
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#39]
This is how my wife does it:

About 200 feet back she hits the brakes and slows 2 mph then coasts until the last ten feet and jambs them on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Hmm....my wife is actually a good driver.  Just need to teach her how to use a manual transmission and she'll be all set.

Some of my previous girlfriends, however...  One would regularly take this one curve at 25mph that I would regularly take at 40-45mph in almost any car (easily) because she was afraid her car might flip. Her mother was an "on the gas, off the gas, on the gas, off the gas" kind of person and didn't have the ability to maintain a constant speed.  It about made us carsick a number of times.

To be fair, I've seen plenty of men out there who couldn't drive well, either.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Starting to slowly brake (break) 200 yards from the stop sign is far worse on the brakes (breaks) than rolling up and just stopping.

Luckily, the car will naturally slow down when you take your foot off the accelerator, so you don't have to ride the brakes for 200yds.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes I may be exaggerating a bit.... Did I really need to state that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Energy Management?  HAHAHAHA!  

Most people are not intelligent enough to really understand what is happening between them, the car, and the road.  It's just the way it is.  

Some people can feel what is happening by the seat of their pants even if they don't understand it.  I guess you could get away with calling it kinesthetics?

A large percentage of women have no sense of kinesthetics when it comes to machines.  That's just the way it is.

Here is a hint - you'll be much happier when you realize that it's just how people are wired, there isn't anything "wrong" with it, accept it, and quit letting it bother you.  

Life is too short to let it piss you off, they can't help it.  Instead of bitching, give them a kiss and tell them you love them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Pretty much the reasons why I drive if we're in the car together. She goes through brakes like crazy
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#45]
My wife does the same thing. Drives me crazy. She wonders why her brakes go bad so quick.

I can go one further. When we were dating a long time ago. She was driving and I was a passenger. We were on the expressway. She would speed up to the speed limit, let off the gas, let the car decelerate to below the speed limit then apply gas get up to the speed limit, let off gas drop below speed limit, speed up to speed limit repeat etc, etc, etc. That was a big WTF? moment for me. I didn't say anything because I wanted to continue to have sex.

To cut her some slack I don't think she learned to drive when she was 16. She is Okinawan and I don't she learned to drive until she came to the states when she was 19. And this was when she 1st started driving.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That drives me crazy.  Why women use their cars as a phone booth is so annoying.

Also, I'm a wife and I don't brake that way.  My dad taught me how to drive and do maintenance on my car.

I recently changed the battery in my car and my girlfriend said "you know how to change a battery?"  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That drives me crazy.  Why women use their cars as a phone booth is so annoying.

Also, I'm a wife and I don't brake that way.  My dad taught me how to drive and do maintenance on my car.
I recently changed the battery in my car and my girlfriend said "you know how to change a battery?"  

Nice. Good for your dad   !   Any time I would try to teach my girls anything when it came to a car their eyes would totally glaze over .
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#49]
I've read somewhere that females don't have the depth perception of men. Don't know if that's true or not, but when riding shotgun with the wife, I often wonder if she's drafting the car in front of us.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Golf Clap

Thank you for not being that woman ma'am

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top