Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 4:08:48 PM EDT
Google Yanks Anti-Church Sites
By Declan McCullagh  

8:55 a.m. March 21, 2002 PST
WASHINGTON -- The Church of Scientology has managed to yank references to anti-Scientology websites from the Google search engine.

Citing the controversial Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Scientology lawyers are claiming that Google may no longer include anti-Scientology sites that allegedly infringe upon the church's intellectual property.

more...
[url]www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,51233,00.html[/url]

And the best part...

Hubbard's secret scriptures teach that 75 million years ago, an evil galactic overlord named Xenu solved the galaxy's overpopulation problem by freezing excess people and transporting the bodies to Teegeeack, now called Earth. After the hapless travelers were defrosted, they were chained to volcanoes that were blown up by hydrogen bombs -- and their disembodied spirits continue to haunt mankind today.
View Quote

What a bunch of fu*knuts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
These people truly frighten me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Can anyone tell just what the hell Scientology is?  To me it seems like a cult that the Hollywood elites believe in.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chance we can petition the FBi and BATF to burn their churches down?

"Battlefield Earth" rocked, by the way.  (The book, NOT THE MOVIE).
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Hubbard was supposedly at the range with Robert Heinlein at least once when he (Hubbard) allegedly said "I wish there was some way we could avoid paying taxes." A few weeks later, he had his church going, based on what some people consider science fiction...

Scott

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I was right about the cult thing....what a bunch of wierdos
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in that stuff.. I know a good deal about it... I'm getting off work in a bit, but I'll try to log on when I get home and post what I know about it.  What I will say about it now is that the whole thing is divided into two parts: Dianetics and Scientology.  Dianetics has some pretty insightful stuff in it... logical stuff that is not far-fetched at all.  The Scientology stuff is the loopy BS that way out there... that stuff I can't understand but I know all about it, 'cuz Mom was heavy into it while I was growing up (she still is, matter of fact).
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Calling $cientology a church is like calling a crackhouse a clinic.

$cientology: all the best of mind control and extortion rolled up into one handy package.

If you think for one hot second that the average $cientologist gets treated like Tom Cruise or John Travolta does, I've got an iceberg in Yuma I want to sell you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Calling $cientology a church is like calling a crackhouse a clinic.

$cientology: all the best of mind control and extortion rolled up into one handy package.

If you think for one hot second that the average $cientologist gets treated like Tom Cruise or John Travolta does, I've got an iceberg in Yuma I want to sell you.
View Quote

Not flamin ya, jarhead, but from what experience have come to this conclusion?  And I'm not saying things haven't happened to make people think that, but I'd like to know what [i]your[/i] experience was.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Not flamin ya, jarhead, but from what experience have come to this conclusion? And I'm not saying things haven't happened to make people think that, but I'd like to know what your experience was.
View Quote

Gunbert, you know he can't do that without being sued by the Scatologists for revealing "church" secrets. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not flamin ya, jarhead, but from what experience have come to this conclusion?  And I'm not saying things haven't happened to make people think that, but I'd like to know what [i]your[/i] experience was.
View Quote

I've got two friends who are former $cientologists, and they tell some interesting stories.

In $cientology, everything costs. You don't get told anything about it until you've risen in levels. You don't get to rise in levels until you take their classes. The classes cost thousands of dollars each. Ask any OT VII you know how much they've ponied up at the altar of Xenu.

Before all this, you have to hold the electrodes of a basic polygraph machine and confess every bad thing you've ever done in your life. Instead of going to the grave with your confessor, that information is kept in a file where it's easily accessible if you ever come to your senses and try to give the cult any bad publicity.

Are you clear?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
ACTORS IN (or formally in) SCIENTOLOGY:

John Travolta
Tom Cruise
Kelly Preston (Mrs. Travolta)
Nicole Kidman (Ex-Mrs. Cruise)

And many others. There were some GREAT discussions about Scientology on the Warner Brothers website discussion forum for the movie "Battlfield Earth", but WB nuked the forum because it turned into JUST religious battles between Scientologists and Non-Scientologists. (When you check out the XENO site, be sure to read up on Hubbard's military "career") He did some interesting things. For instance, he was the only military commander to fire on MEXICO during World War Two...

Scott

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got two friends who are former $cientologists, and they tell some interesting stories.

In $cientology, everything costs. You don't get told anything about it until you've risen in levels. You don't get to rise in levels until you take their classes. The classes cost thousands of dollars each. Ask any OT VII you know how much they've ponied up at the altar of Xenu.

Before all this, you have to hold the electrodes of a basic polygraph machine and confess every bad thing you've ever done in your life. Instead of going to the grave with your confessor, that information is kept in a file where it's easily accessible if you ever come to your senses and try to give the cult any bad publicity.

Are you clear?
View Quote

Clear?  What sense of the word?

In any case, you're right, to some extent.  It does cost a ton... and I'm not defending it.  That's why, despite my being surrounded by it MY ENTIRE LIFE till I was 18, I am not a part of it.  What I'm trying to establish is that it is not an organization of mindless sycophants... sure, some of them are crazy, but hell, those kinds of people are in everything.  But most, in my experience (and I'm sure I've met more of 'em than you), are just ordinary people who found their own version of the 'truth' in it.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I typed in two words, "scientolgy" and "exposed" and got several anti scientology sites.

[url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scientology+exposed[/url]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

hehe i love the comical harrier scene. 1000-1200 year old harriers, they arnt rusted and broken in any way, the citys are leveled but somehow a dozen harriers survive. plus the fuel they need is still reactive after all that time(gas becomes inert in about 3 months i think). and! backwards primiteves not only learn how to read but fly one of the most diffucult planes today in less than a few days.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Clear?  What sense of the word?
View Quote

That was a joke, but since you ask: Clear of your Thetans, of course. [rolleyes]

In any case, you're right, to some extent.  It does cost a ton... and I'm not defending it.  That's why, despite my being surrounded by it MY ENTIRE LIFE till I was 18, I am not a part of it.  What I'm trying to establish is that it is not an organization of mindless sycophants... sure, some of them are crazy, but hell, those kinds of people are in everything.  But most, in my experience (and I'm sure I've met more of 'em than you), are just ordinary people who found their own version of the 'truth' in it.  
View Quote

The 'truth?' The truth as revealed by a con man science fiction writer? The truth about Xenu and the exploded souls (called Thetans) that we have to 'clear' ourselves of by paying $cientology thousands and thousands of dollars.

I wish I had thought of that.

Note: By no means do I mean any offense to you or your mother.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Never took it as a personal attack, but thanks for saying so.  I've met lots of people who feel exactly like you do... and I don't always think they're wrong. Some people have had bad experiences. Again, I was steeped in it since I was like 5, but even I don't believe the scientology part. IMO, scientology is BS. On that I think we agree.

The part of the 'church', as it were, that I think is on to something, is the Dianetics part of it...  without going into detail, I can personally say that I've seen it work.  Nothing miraculous, profound or dramatically life changing, but it did help a good deal.  I even used a bit of it on my girlfriend (without really explaining what it was till after) when she was having really bad migraines.  It worked on the headaches, and she was rather surprised. But that's just my take on it.

The thing that gets me is people who will spout off vitriol against something they know nothing about, wether it's Islam, Roman Catholicism, Firearms, the Libertarian Party or Scientology.  Jarhead22, you obviously know a little bit about it, so at least you're qualified to have an opinion.  So many people love to bash things because they heard a 'friend's sister's ex boyfriend's cousin was killed because he came into contact with __________', fill in the blank.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

hehe i love the comical harrier scene. 1000-1200 year old harriers, they arnt rusted and broken in any way, the citys are leveled but somehow a dozen harriers survive. plus the fuel they need is still reactive after all that time(gas becomes inert in about 3 months i think). and! backwards primiteves not only learn how to read but fly one of the most diffucult planes today in less than a few days.

View Quote

Piece Of Cake !!!!

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top