Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Haven't seen the movie, but read a short story on this premise in jr. high. " Push the button, someone dies, you get rich."  Guy whines a lot and pushes the button.  Story ends with the man picking up the box, button pusher asks "What will you do with the box now?"    

"We'll make someone else the same offer we made you".

Yet another reason to shoot the guy with the box in the head.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd tell that creepy guy with the fucked up head to get off my lawn.

This, own 2..

Damn!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd push it without hesitation.

"Someone I know"?

Most (99%) of the people I "know" are assholes that I would not miss one bit.

I'll take that chance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Whoa, close race on that poll
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
If I love money enough to take someone's life for it, I would likely just work hard to get it for myself and have a clean conscience.

I believe I am on the path to being a millionaire anyway.  Just through hard work and modest living.  (Provided BHO and the Dems lose their sway with the voters).

After watching this movie, I had a realization; this is Hollywood's way of trying to save us from a values crisis without endorsing Christianity.  Moral relavatism has left us with a "me, me, me" culture that would push the button, no doubt.  So Hollywood creates an artificial consequence to replace God's judgement in hopes of making people think twice.

I didn't think it was all that bad of a movie.  Not good but certainly not bad...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another way to look at it is:
* The overall median income is $32k/yr.  
* The average effective tax rate is roughly 43%.
* The federal budget is about 3.5 trillion dollars.
* There are roughly 310 million people in the US.
* The average person will work for roughly 45-50 years of their life
* The average life expectancy is 78 years

So...
* The average person will make about 1.5 million dollars in their lifetime (in today's dollars)
* The average person will pay $645,000 of that in taxes
* That equates to 20 years of your life, or 25% of your total life expectancy
* The federal budget alone is 9.5 billion (9,500 million) dollars per day
* That equates to 294,573 man-years of life, or 3,776 total lives, every day

So, every minute...
* The federal government alone "kills" 2.6 people and "gets" 6.6 million dollars for doing it.
* That's 2.5 million per "button press."

However, that assumes that everyone that "dies" is "killed" at birth.  If you figure that the median age is 36.8 years old (or 41.2 years left to live), then you're actually talking about 1.2 million dollars per "button press."  Which is pretty close to the proposed model.

In essence, Washington is pushing the button every 11 seconds.

In the time it took me to write this post, the government killed over 30 Americans.

Awesome, Math FTW

And I voted. Something along the lines of "Hit it like a retard with a hammer"...

As long as it was someone I dont know. As the OP stated.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The way I see it many 'somebodies' that I don't know die each and every day, so................Maybe..
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top