BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
From the Blue Angels website, FAQ's page:

Why don’t the pilots wear G-suits?

G-suits are designed with air bladders (pockets) that inflate and deflate to keep a pilot’s blood from pooling in the pilots’ legs while executing sharp, unpredicted combat maneuvers.

Unlike combat flying, the Blue Angels demonstration pilots know the maneuvers they will fly prior to execution, so each pilot knows when one will be pulling heavy gravitational forces.

Anticipating the changes in gravitational forces allows the Blue Angels demonstration pilots to combat the G-forces with muscle contractions.

In addition, the Boeing F/A-18’s control stick is mounted between the pilot’s legs.

The Blue Angels have a spring tensioned with 35 pounds of pressure installed on the control stick that gives the pilot a “false feel.”

This allows the pilot minimal room for uncommanded movement.

The pilots rest their right arms on their thighs for support and stability while flying.

Therefore, inflating and deflating air bladders in a G-suit would interrupt this support and stability, causing uncommanded aircraft movement. In this case, G-suits would detrimentally impact flight safety.

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/faq.htm

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many people know that the military jet aerobatic team pilots don't wear G-suits?  And how many know why they don't?

Doesn't the g suit interfere with the fine muscle control needed to fly in tight formation?

Yep.  They run so close to each other that they can't risk having the suit inflate and bump the control yoke.  So they have to pull those G's with no help from a suit.  

BAD ASS!

yeah, it will inflate so much it hits the joystick on the side of the pit

whatever

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many people know that the military jet aerobatic team pilots don't wear G-suits?  And how many know why they don't?

I'm just saying that the Blue Angels (and I thought the Thunderbirds as well) don't wear G-suits.  And the reason is that the high-G formation maneuvers might cause the stick to move if the suit inflates.  Maybe the T-birds do wear G-suits, precisely because the stick is on the side panel and far enough away from their leg that it wouldn't affect their hand on the stick, and the Blue Angels don't wear them, because the stick is between their knees.  That actually makes more sense.

No, what you are saying is that you were wrong...

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just saying that the Blue Angels (and I thought the Thunderbirds as well) don't wear G-suits.  And the reason is that the high-G formation maneuvers might cause the stick to move if the suit inflates.  Maybe the T-birds do wear G-suits, precisely because the stick is on the side panel and far enough away from their leg that it wouldn't affect their hand on the stick, and the Blue Angels don't wear them, because the stick is between their knees.  That actually makes more sense.

No, what you are saying is that you were wrong...

If it makes you feel better, then yeah, it appears that my initial post was partly wrong.
Have a GREAT day!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#5]
from the 2007 Gathering of Mustangs & Legends

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't the g suit interfere with the fine muscle control needed to fly in tight formation?

Yep.  They run so close to each other that they can't risk having the suit inflate and bump the control yoke.  So they have to pull those G's with no help from a suit.  

BAD ASS!

..and what if the jet, this one for instance, doesn't have a control yoke?

I knew some fighter jock (or wanna-be) would point this out.  Sometimes a little trolling is good for the soul.

(I know it's a fly-by-wire side-stick controller...)

Aircraft Maintenance Chiefs don't like being called that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Hard Rock, when I left your place on Friday, I went up the Arden Nollville Road to Tabler Station to get on I 81, just as I came across the Bridge there all 6 T Birds came off the South End of the N/S runway in their final formation.  It was totally awesome.  I was trying to avoid being on I 81 while they were flying.  Every time there is an Airshow there some fucking idiot slams on his brakes to see the show forgetting that their is traffic behind him.  So it was on Friday.  

This is the first time in all my time at the base that I ever saw the whole show.  They were there in June 1992 for my last drill, I opted to stay in the ops building and man the radios and phone and the line to the tower for the crash crews.  I was pissed at being medically retired for something that happened in another war in another world.  Hell this year I had the best seat int he house, setting under the wing of the DAV B-25 "Panchito" and watching the show.  Today I am going to clean guns from Fridays trip to the range and get the truck ready to go again.  

ANGMSG (Ron)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds got into a bar fight who would win?

The Blue Angels typically have a few Marines so it wouldn't even be a contest. The Thunderbirds would get their thong panties pulled into atomic wedgies and the fight would be over before it began.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I live next to TopGun I havent looked up at jets since I was about 7. Just background noise now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

T-bird pilot's nuts are so big that the g-suit won't fit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember (just barely) when they flew the F-100D Super Sabre. Although, I always picture them in the F-4E Phantom II.

ETA, I remember when the Blue Angels flew the Grumman F-11 Tiger. Although, I never understood why they switched from the F-4J Phantom II to the A-4F Skyhawk II. It's a downgrade, as far as I'm concerned. I do realize fuel costs were becoming an issue and the F-4s were very thirsty.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

BAD ASS!

If you're pulling enough G's to inflate your g-suit while in close formation.... you're doing it wrong.  It only starts inflating around 3 G's.  At least, mine does.

My understanding is that the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels pull upwards of 6 G's during some of their formation maneuvers.

And that's why they don't wear pressure suits.

If you are in tight formation, you aren't pulling 6G's.  I am quite certain that, at some point in their demo, they DO, individually, pull 6 G's, but they aren't doing it in parade (the actual word for "tight formation").  The Blues don't wear G-suits because they have to get in the airplane and look cool doing it.  No one looks cool wearing a G-suit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Before yesterday, the last time I saw the Thunderbirds was in 1982 at the Oshkosh Air Show.  My daughter loved it and it brought back the feeling of overwhelming awesomeness that I remembered as a kid.  My daughter looked at me and asked, "Are they dancing in the sky?"  

My daughter got to meet one of the women pilots of the Thunderbirds.  Her mother is quite the inspiration but I think now my little girl realizes that there is nothing in the world she can't do if she really wants it.  It fills me with happiness that my little girl has idols to look up to like her mother and the Thunderbird pilots instead of idolizing some half brained singer or actress that has no connection with reality.  

I can honestly say, that show was great for the soul as well as just being entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:18:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

G-suits are designed with air bladders (pockets) that inflate and deflate to keep a pilot’s blood from pooling in the pilots’ legs while executing sharp, unpredicted combat maneuvers.

Unlike combat flying, the Blue Angels demonstration pilots know the maneuvers they will fly prior to execution, so each pilot knows when one will be pulling heavy gravitational forces.

Anticipating the changes in gravitational forces allows the Blue Angels demonstration pilots to combat the G-forces with muscle contractions.

In addition, the Boeing F/A-18’s control stick is mounted between the pilot’s legs.

The Blue Angels have a spring tensioned with 35 pounds of pressure installed on the control stick that gives the pilot a “false feel.”

The pilots rest their right arms on their thighs for support and stability while flying.

Therefore, inflating and deflating air bladders in a G-suit would interrupt this support and stability, causing uncommanded aircraft movement. In this case, G-suits would detrimentally impact flight safety.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  It all boils down to looking cool in their skin-tight flight suits while walking to the jet.  You can't do that wearing a G-suit... and you can't put the real reason on the internet for people to read.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To bad Martinsburg is 4 hours away.

I didnt go yesterday and doubt I am able to make it today, but I did see them a few times yesterday. I was walking out of the mexican restaraunt by the mall, the one behind the outback and they did a low fly over, that was loud

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hard Rock, when I left your place on Friday, I went up the Arden Nollville Road to Tabler Station to get on I 81, just as I came across the Bridge there all 6 T Birds came off the South End of the N/S runway in their final formation.  It was totally awesome.  I was trying to avoid being on I 81 while they were flying.  Every time there is an Airshow there some fucking idiot slams on his brakes to see the show forgetting that their is traffic behind him.  So it was on Friday.  

This is the first time in all my time at the base that I ever saw the whole show.  They were there in June 1992 for my last drill, I opted to stay in the ops building and man the radios and phone and the line to the tower for the crash crews.  I was pissed at being medically retired for something that happened in another war in another world.  Hell this year I had the best seat int he house, setting under the wing of the DAV B-25 "Panchito" and watching the show.  Today I am going to clean guns from Fridays trip to the range and get the truck ready to go again.  

ANGMSG (Ron)

Hard Rock, are you the guy that just opened the new gunshop down on rt 11, just below the ANG base? If so I was in and met you the other day.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  It all boils down to looking cool in their skin-tight flight suits while walking to the jet.  You can't do that wearing a G-suit... and you can't put the real reason on the internet for people to read.

QFT
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#19]
The pics all look the same to me.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an F-16, but it has some sort of......graffiti.... on it.

Someone's in a lot of shit.

Its got a possum pic on the underside!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Also, just to be clear, the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels do things differently. The Thunderbirds wear g-suits and oxygen masks. The Blue Angels wear neither.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ANGMSG (Ron)

Hard Rock, are you the guy that just opened the new gunshop down on rt 11, just below the ANG base? If so I was in and met you the other day.

LOL... nope, but I want to stop in and chat with those guys.  I'm down next to exit 5.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hadn't seen the Thunderbirds in a decade...they still use F-16's?

What should they use, B1B's???

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hadn't seen the Thunderbirds in a decade...they still use F-16's?

What should they use, B1B's???

34th Bomb Squadron...Doolittle's raiders...Original THUNDERBIRDS!!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#26]

This is what happens when a Eagle driver flies a Viper.......and improperly sets the field altitude...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top