Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear this.  Hard road ahead.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#3]
While he is gone turn your entire home upside down.   Search anywhere and everywhere.

Make sure none of his paraphernalia is in your house, get it completely cleaned up.

I'd be tempted to call the police on my own damned kid if I were to find it.  If for no other reason than to have a record on file of trying to help the dumb shit kid and that you are in fact NOT an enabler.

Dummy doesn't understand that he's potentially ruining not just his life but your life as well.    One slip up that invites the police into his life may just invite the police into your home.   Not good and it's time to start distancing yourself from getting wrapped up in his adult decisions.

I see too many damned drug users coming through the court system on a daily basis.   They have next to no concern about long term goals through the court mandated rehabilitation courses.   They all seem to view it as a process of entering probation and prolonging the amount of time they can use before they get their probation status revoked after pissing dirty.    They know they will get multiple opportunities to adhere to the probation terms before they get revoked and thrown in county jail.   Maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 will actually take it seriously and make it through the program on their first time and learn their lesson.   The rest?   Forget about it.

Get the tough love going now and maybe he will learn from hard times before they REALLY get hard.     But protect yourself, protect your home, protect the remainder of the family above all else.   You will not be able to provide assistance to him if you do not shelter yourself from his actions before his decisions manage to ruin your life.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is he doing it with friends on the weekends or full blown coke head?
Either way, nip this in the bud because recreational can turn into full time in a hurry.

Depending on the personality type, your damn right coke can turn bad in a hurry.  I tried the stuff in my younger, crazy party days.  Let me tell you, I don't have an addictive personality and I KNEW if I didn't stop at the "having fun" phase I would be a cokehead.  I loved that stuff.  What saved me is I would never let myself pay for it, only if somebody offered it.  Its expensive, so that hardly ever happened, thank god.

A really close friend didn't get so lucky though.  Coke is too expensive for the average guy to do everyday, but he was addicted so he had to do something.  He is now a full blown methhead who nobody ever sees anymore.  Meth is cheaper than coke yet lasts longer (so I've heard, would NEVER try that shit) so it's almost inevitable that if you don't nip this in the bud soon he could go that route.

Also, coke dealers are generally a pretty rough crowd.  The penalty for getting caught with even small amounts is so large that snitches or young guys who haven't been around much can fall into trouble pretty quick if something gets sketchy.

IM me if you have any questions or need any advice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dont sweat it, he is young, experimenting, get him some education, help if its an addiction and not just for recreation.

He is 17.  I would sweat the shit out of it.  He is below the "recreational use" threshold age.  He is well outside the "norm" for that age group.  I would say his current use is a symptom of other behavior issues.  He will soon only be surrounded by turds as the normal crew will move on.

At this point, everyone he hangs out with is a piece of shit.  I don't know a single person doing that stuff at that age who is not fucked up/dead right now.  (i'm 30)

You have a 3-4 year window to get him cleared up, or he is screwed.  I like Mhoffmans approach.  It may feel like you are driving him away, but he needs to fall fast and extremely hard.  

For what it's worth, I just attended the funeral of a childhood best friend last week. Again.  Heroin...Again.  The key to ALL these situations was a continuing pattern of enabling behavior by those around them.  That is your biggest battle.  You need to locate some good treatment sources and be prepared and willing to face some serious soul-searching yourself.   Treatment is not only about him.

I wish the best for you and your family, and hope your son finds the peace he is looking for.

George Bush used cocaine.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Prayers inbound.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry to hear that, GrIlLa.

Cocaine is far more dangerous than young people give it credit for.  I hope he's not able to get hold of large amounts of it in a pure state.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Where is he getting the money for coke?

Turn off the money, you turn off the coke.

That shit aint free

it is very highly addictive, stomp down on this shit with all your might
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#9]
How in the hell can he afford it?

Cut off the money source,keep him on lock down and close to you, and most importantly talk to him. He will listen,get him closer to you,and away from the negative influences. Seventeen is a ruff time,he needs you. It sounds like he may be running with the wrong crowd and may be a follower. Help him become a leader and give him so much attention that you overwhelm him.Try and make him see the light before he closes doors in his future. (felony conviction,death)

Cocaine sucks but it could definitely be worse,meth and heroin are much more addictive. Cocaine is more of a social drug,which leads me to believe that its his friend network. It is also very expensive,so he has got to be paying somehow. If he is working,control his paychecks. If he is not,cut his cash flow and be sure that he is not involved in any kind of theft (involving friends) to support the habit.

It does not sound like you are too late and I am basing this on your post,sounding like you just found out. Please realize that I am not criticizing you or your parenting. I went through this with my younger brother and he is just fine now,but was starting to head down the wrong path with drugs.

My son is 10 and these kinds of posts scare the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
dont sweat it, he is young, experimenting, get him some education, help if its an addiction and not just for recreation.

He is 17.  I would sweat the shit out of it.  He is below the "recreational use" threshold age.  He is well outside the "norm" for that age group.  I would say his current use is a symptom of other behavior issues.  He will soon only be surrounded by turds as the normal crew will move on.

At this point, everyone he hangs out with is a piece of shit.  I don't know a single person doing that stuff at that age who is not fucked up/dead right now.  (i'm 30)

You have a 3-4 year window to get him cleared up, or he is screwed.  I like Mhoffmans approach.  It may feel like you are driving him away, but he needs to fall fast and extremely hard.  

For what it's worth, I just attended the funeral of a childhood best friend last week. Again.  Heroin...Again.  The key to ALL these situations was a continuing pattern of enabling behavior by those around them.  That is your biggest battle.  You need to locate some good treatment sources and be prepared and willing to face some serious soul-searching yourself.   Treatment is not only about him.

I wish the best for you and your family, and hope your son finds the peace he is looking for.

Well hey then....Fuck it!  nothing to see here!

/thread, +1!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Prayer aint gonna help, and kicking his ass will just drive a wedge between you two most likely causing him to say "Fuck you" and walk out the door.

I'd have a real honest heart to heart talk about recovery options and support him the whole way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Prayers sent

on a side note, how did you find out?

A friend of his just called and told me. Apparently this kid is working with local police and the DEA to do something about the problem. He told me that him and a group had acess to kilos of cocain.... Oh God i cant believe ii heard that. This summer alone 4 of his classmates have been killed due to alcohol abuse. Three weeks ago two of them died in a drunk driving crash. A week before a high school grad killed himself in a drunk driving crash. Another drowned in a river. He has been home for two weeks and doing well as far as chores and house keeping so I let him go to the movies on Wednesday and havent heard from him since. There is a program sponsored by the national guard in VA Beach that I want to sign him up for but, you have to be drug free before they will take him.
I have totally failed him...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Prayers sent .

You are going to have to do things you are not going want to do . Do not back down , do not slack off , remain vigilante and make no excuses for him .   Good luck and stay strong.

ETA: Keep All firearms locked up where he can not get to them that are not on your person .

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#15]

1. Have a man to man talk with him
  2. Tell him his bad friends are a thing of the past.  They are dead as far as he is concerned

3. Join him at the hip.  Never let him out of your site.  Do thing that interest a 17 year old that do not include the drug culture

4. Weekly drug tests

5. Get him some professional counseling

6. Pray hard that he will turn around.

Going away to college is out of the question,  He needs to stay where you can keep an eye on him.  You and your wife will need to be in complete agreement.  She can not undercut your efforts.  If you can't turn him around, then you will need to change the locks on everything you own and abandon him when he turns 18 and graduates from high school.  If you keep supporting him, you will only be enabling his drug habit.  If he has a change of heart, then you can bring him back into your life.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Cocain in particular. I am distraught and don't know what to do right now.

Will those whom believe in the power of prayer  pray for my son Joshua?

You got it from the wife & me.

How did you find out about him using? And does he know that you now know? If he knows that you know, you'll need to move fast on whatever you plan on doing next before he can do something stupid. Not trying to cause you extra worry, just wanted to bring that to your attention. I have a niece that was doing similar things and possibly worse, once she knew that my sister and her husband knew, she went totally out of control.... and I really hesitated telling you that cause you've got enough worry going on but you need to realize the possibility of that happening.

Please keep us updated.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prayers sent

A friend of his just called and told me. Apparently this kid is working with local police and the DEA to do something about the problem. He told me that him and a group had acess to kilos of cocain.... Oh God i cant believe ii heard that. This summer alone 4 of his classmates have been killed due to alcohol abuse. Three weeks ago two of them died in a drunk driving crash. A week before a high school grad killed himself in a drunk driving crash. Another drowned in a river. He has been home for two weeks and doing well as far as chores and house keeping so I let him go to the movies on Wednesday and havent heard from him since. There is a program sponsored by the national guard in VA Beach that I want to sign him up for but, you have to be drug free before they will take him.

You haven't failed him yet. You can do everything right as a parent, but there are things out of your control. There are toxic individuals out there who prey on good people, suck them in to their social circle and drown them in shit like this.

You need to talk to a professional about this. Depending on the level of use and dependency and accompanying activities, there are different steps to take. One thing I can tell you for certain is that simply kicking his ass, while appealing, while only make things worse. Right now, however, consider the police a last resort. Their priority is getting busts and convictions, not helping people get clean.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prayers sent

If they really have that kind of access...you need to lock him in the house.  That kind of access comes with not-so-fun people.  Any addiction may be secondary to the REAL problem, mainly the fact you may have real scum in close proximity to your family.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I live pretty close to Bristol, and so my little town has more than it's fair share of Cocaine. At one time I am sure there were as many 18-30 year olds sneaking a quick snort in as there were under 18 year olds sneaking a bit of cheap Cider when they could get it.

This is the West Country, so that's quite a lot of Cider, for reference.I think a lot of these young guys and girls treat it as they would Cannabis or Alcohol - something to do every Friday and Saturday night.

I hope you can help out your son.

English!  
Do You Speak it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#20]
A lot of people have some misconception that coke is expensive.

We're 20+ years past the 80's. Shit's cheap now .

Don't call the cops. Have a stern talking with him and if he doesn't listen, beat his fucking ass. Beat. His. Ass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prayers sent

On reading this, I would go out and find him, bring him home and plan a small vacation with the family, someplace remote and quite a distance from home. Spend some quality time with him fishing, boating and just try to connect with him. maybe try to find a family member he could stay with until he cleans his system out and gets enrolled into the military. "only if he is willing to do this" Seems to me he needs some positive role-models and the military can provide that.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prayers sent

You haven't failed him yet. You can do everything right as a parent, but there are things out of your control. There are toxic individuals out there who prey on good people, suck them in to their social circle and drown them in shit like this.

Yes and you will not fail him now.  Know this, you can make a big difference right now before he turns 18 and is potentially on his own.  Set the tone and the tempo for him so when he is really on his own it is in the right direction.

I know there are programs out there for teen users.  I had a good friend snort enough to give himself a heart attack at the age of 17 when we played hockey.  You can help make the difference but he has to make the decisions to deal with it.  I'll pray for you and your family.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the West Country, so that's quite a lot of Cider, for reference.I think a lot of these young guys and girls treat it as they would Cannabis or Alcohol - something to do every Friday and Saturday night.
English!  

Do You Speak it?

Yup moi babber oir speeks it gud 'n pro-ah! Waz yer pickle?

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prayers sent

wow that's bad.

unless you gave him the coke, i don't see how you failed him.  everybody knows the score wrt drugs nowadays

if this was one of my kids i would be literally flipping the fuck out right now

it's rehab time
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#25]
If he has access to keys of coke you need to get him out of that ASAP. That will only lead to long term jail, death, or both. Prayers sent. Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Do NOT ENABLE. Whatever you do, don't be an enabler. Send his ass to rehab, and if he won't stay, cut him off entirely.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prayers sent

Access to Kilos of cocaine?

If thats the case you have much, much bigger problems than cocaine use.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#28]
There is hope- my younger sister was a cocaine party girl. When my parents found out there were many ugly scenes as they fought tooth and nail to get her off drugs and away from that crowd. My sister is now an emergency room doctor.

It wasnt easy but now is the time for steel in the backbone and ice in the heart. Dont believe a word he says for the foreseeable future.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#29]
prayers away.. don't beat him too bad..

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do NOT ENABLE. Whatever you do, don't be an enabler. Send his ass to rehab, and if he won't stay, cut him off entirely.

this exactly.. parents who are soft on their kids after this kind of stuff won't fix the problem

your child will lie to you, he will beg, cry, hit, go crazy, etc.. do not give in, cocaine isn't something to fuck around with
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
After my initial urge of "beat him senseless with a blackjack" passed, I would begin by stripping him of absolutely everything you have ever provided him.

No car.  No cell phone.  No bedroom door.  No bed.  No clothing/shoes/etc. that you bought for him, except for those which you provide him to wear the following day.  No food other than oatmeal made with water.  Drop him off at school personally, and likewise when picking him up.  No more after-school or extracurricular activities.  No more TV - only school textbooks and any other books which are required reading.  No more music.  No more computer, except for when completely supervised for school project research.  

And especially, no more inheritance.

He may earn these things back in an order, and at a rate, of your choosing, little by little, for every piss test he passes.

If he has yet to satisfy you that he has rehabilitated himself, his 18th birthday present should be a hand-written card that says "Happy Birthday!" on the front, and "Pack your shit and get the fuck out." on the inside.

But hey, I only have a 3 year old girl –– so I only suppose this will work.

_MaH

Add a drug treatment plan and a bit of counseling and I really like your plan.

OP, this needs to be stopped now. Please keep us updated.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
where is your kid getting money for coke?

this is a good question. coke is expensive. perhaps its recreational?

far as im concerned it could be worse, meth. oxcontin for instance.

not that its ok, but i've known a lot of folks that use coke, some will do it if its offered and could care less the rest of the time, say at a party. in fact i know more folks like this than ones who have had serious coke problems..

however, i've seen meth ruin and eventually kill more than one person's relatives and oxycontin too.

crack of freebase is a different story though..
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Prayers wont save him. It's a hell of a fun drug and it's strength varies from person to person, I know medical students and engineers who do it, and I know kids who have dropped out of school because of it; from ages 18 to 24. He needs to stop it, quit it, immediately if he is not strong enough mentally and he will let it ruin his life.

You need to disconnect him from where he is getting it and whom he is hanging out with that has it. Keeping him away from it and it's influence is the best thing you can do, along with not enabling him from home with money or favors.

ETA: DONT send him to rehab, depending on how long he's been doing it or how much he does. Rehab will not help and is a waste of money and can do more harm than good, if the use was minimal and not affecting his life.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prayers sent

you have only failed him if you let this continue. So far he is doing stupid, (well incredibly stupid) teenage shit. you only fail if you continue to allow it to happen. take away everything in his life and see which one he thinks is more important.

I had a friend who did cocaine, she used it only a little bit for a good while until it started to consume her life, she went from being a smart pretty girl to a filthy whore in a month flat when she got addicted to it. Stop this now.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Good luck. It's very difficult to help those that don't want help.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Whats the back story with him? School, any extracurricular activities? Does he work? what kind of hobbies? What does his friends do? How lax are you on him regarding rules of the house and curfew? Does he have any goals? Also, can you confirm how long he has been using?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Is there a chance that this kid is playing a really, really sick joke on you and your son?

No, you haven't.  You can do everything right and bad shit still happens to your family.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Take his door off the hinges, and leave him one pair of clothes and take everything out of his room, randomly drug test him, you can get the kits at the drug store.  does he have a car? not any more, sell it to put him in rehab (even if your health insurance covers it.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Prayers? Ok I pray that you straighten his ass out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#40]
God works in mysterious ways.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Proactive intervention is the only way to be sure to get him off the hook of that shit...

God bless you in your endeavors.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#43]
ummm, isn't coke WAYYYYYYY fucking expensive? where is he getting the money?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And so did a lot of people that are currently dead!  I nominate you for stupid post of the week...

Really, WTF is your point, other than to be an apologist?  

This is a kid with his entire life in front of him...the most precious of resources on this Earth.  Get him qualified professional help, and use said pros to help you develop a plan at home as well...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Military school
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#46]
using recreationaly or addicted?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Cocaine is the fucking devil, because the high is very intense but doesn't last nearly as long as something like heroin.
He will burn through his money, then his stuff, then your things will start disappearing.
Get him help ASAP and be prepared to cut him out of your life if things go too far downhill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I had a friend get mixed up with that shit.

He became a giant asshole while high, and it got to the point where ALL I ASKED OF HIM was to NOT BLOW COKE AROUND ME.

So whats he do one night? Was already high, drunk, etc, and go on a rant about how HES NOT ADDICTED, AND IT DOESNT AFFECT HIS LIFE BECAUSE HES NOT EVEN PAYING FOR IT. Then proceeds to blow a fatty line right infront of me.

I punched him as hard as I fucking could, square in the fucking nose, a good 4-5 times. Have fun blowing coke with a broken nose, dickhead.

To this day, he fucking thanks me for what I did.

Goodluck to you and your son. Sit him the fuck down, scare the balls off of him, and lock him down for a week or so.

Prayers sent.

-Josh

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#49]
teen boot camp
or judicial use of a 2x4.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cocaine is not marijuana.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top