Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2010 3:07:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 4:32:39 AM EDT by metroplex]
I was looking at different phones and plans, and noticed that the Android OS has full support of features in apps like Google Maps (like navigation with satellite view, etc...) whereas BlackBerry won't support navigation in Google Maps, and iPhone doesn't have much support at all.

I really need a smartphone with a robust data function, GPS, mapping, navigation, etc... as well as fast browsing. I'm not that big into iTunes, MP3 music in a smartphone, or watching TV/Hulu.

Any ideas on Android? There appears to be a bunch of phones that support Android, like the Motorola Droid 2 and Droid X, and HTC has a line as well. How is Verizon and the Droid phones?

iPhone 4 has gotten a lot of attention, but I really dislike iTunes and the reduced battery life of the iPhones.

The issued BlackBerry I have is pretty good, but it is very spartan in terms of features (BB OS 4.x) and the browsing sucks.

Is there a simple choice? My monthly service plan budget should be under $70 USD, and I don't need a lot of voice minutes. I mainly need a great data plan with excellent coverage in CONUS and in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:11:59 AM EDT
Just ordered the Sprint EVO 4G, will post my impressions when it arrives
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:22:38 AM EDT
Switching from Blackberry to Motorola Droid for me was like switching from DOS computers to a GUI interface. I've rooted my phone and run a Froyo ROM and OC kernel at 1000mhz. That's 3 times faster than the first desktop PC I had in college. I love the interface, I have the ability to create a WiFi hotspot, browsing is incredibly fast (when you have a good signal) and there are more useful apps than I'm capable of remembering to use when they would be applicable.

My only complaint with the current generation of smartphones is battery life. Charging is a nightly occurrence. I seem to remember my old 8330 going for a couple days at a time, but I could be wrong. It seems to me that processing and display technology has outpaced power storage technology.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:24:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:

I've had this phone for 2 months and would rate it at nothing less than stellar.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:27:04 AM EDT
I had an iphone for over a year. This past weekend i switched to sprint and got the HTC ecvo 4g. I like this phone way more than i ever liked the iphone. The navigation is sooo much better, it works just like a tom tom or garmin. Even if you dont have any cell service you can use the turn by turn navigation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:39:06 AM EDT
My Blackberry 9700 is perfect for me. I need battery life and e-mail, not games and flashy graphics, not a toy for a shitty attention span. Android and iPhone devices do nothing for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:39:55 AM EDT
Just picked up the samsung galaxy S (which has a bunch of different names) to replace my G1 , I LOVE android , I don't need a bunch of the gimmicks, but mapping is pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:43:58 AM EDT
I swear, everything "apple" about the iPhone sucks ass.
Seriously.
If it wasn't for the apps designed by outside sources, this thing couldn't compete.
This must be some pretty hardcore koolaide for people to suckoff apple like they do.

I think the Droid(s) are going to slay this god awful beast.
Even my friend at work put his koolaide aside and got a Droid fone this week.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:05:42 AM EDT
I am using blackberry technology simply because of ease of use with my corporate e-mail. Music, games etc.. are secondary to email function . That being said the times I do use the browser it sucks because its so slow and I would like better GPS!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:08:07 AM EDT
Android, FTW.

Go to a local Verizon store and see if they have a Droid 2, Droid X and Droid Incredible. Figure out which one you like best and get it. You will not be disappointed.

Then search for all the Android threads and find lots of cool apps and things you can do with your Android phone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:11:18 AM EDT
I keep balking at ordering the DROID X. It's got everything I want except battery life.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:12:15 AM EDT
I have an iPhone and an Android device

They both have their strengths
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:16:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pdg45acp:
I keep balking at ordering the DROID X. It's got everything I want except battery life.

Get a dock and use it as an alarm clock. It'll get through a whole day with no problems, and slapping it on the dock every night becomes second nature. I even have a dock here at the office, and a charger in the car. I'm never far from being able to charge.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:20:04 AM EDT
Evo 4g since june. Love it!!!

Battery life is a concern as it doesn't live up to blackberries. However, its not a crippling downside for me. Charge once a day, occasionally in the car our at the office and I'm good to go.

Can't beat this phone. I havnt talked to anyone who has the phone and does not like it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:24:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Procyon:
Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:

I've had this phone for 2 months and would rate it at nothing less than stellar.

+1

Swype'd from my evo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:26:20 AM EDT
BlackBerry's are primitive compared to the iPhone & Android based phones.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:29:21 AM EDT
My work just gave us a choice, wait for windows phone 7, and iPhone on Verizon or an Android device on Verizon.. I got the Droid X and its great but I have had the G1 and Samsung's Moment so I am pretty familiar with android
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:53:30 AM EDT
I heard about PDANet and using the Droid as an "aircard" for your laptop. Can I do this with Verizon? I also heard that you need an anti-virus program.

The alarm clock feature is pretty cool based on what I read in Maximum PC. I've been relying on a POS clock radio for years and this would be a neat feature, but a person at work just demo'd a Droid for me and it's basically what I need in terms of browsing, navigation, etc...

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:34:22 AM EDT
I'm looking at Verizon w/ Motorola Droid 2. I can't figure out if PDAnet works with Droid 2, but that'd be awesome. I still need to find a vehicle mount and charger, and a belt/clip/holder.

The damn plan is $78/month though, I don't use voice or text messages - I just need the data plan.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:47:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I heard about PDANet and using the Droid as an "aircard" for your laptop. Can I do this with Verizon? I also heard that you need an anti-virus program.

The alarm clock feature is pretty cool based on what I read in Maximum PC. I've been relying on a POS clock radio for years and this would be a neat feature, but a person at work just demo'd a Droid for me and it's basically what I need in terms of browsing, navigation, etc...

android is linux based and with out going into too many geeky details it is VERY hard to write a linux virus. i'm not saying it can't be done, but as long as you only DL quality apps from the app store you should be fine. i don't run AV on any linux platform be it my phone or my computer.

now there is an Trojan out there that will record your info and upload it to a server somewhere, its a wallpaper app for dl'ing WP, but again as long as you only DL quality wallpaper apps (ones found on Androidforums.com , or http://forum.xda-developers.com/ ) you should be fine.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:01:27 AM EDT
I bought the Droid 2 and kind of regret it. I think it is a POS to say the least. It already crashed on me 3 times, and forced me to yank the battery. This is only after using it for about an hour (leaving it on my desk for 8 hours). It won't charge from a PC USB port unless you install some drivers, which is impossible on my company laptop. It uses a funky micro-USB port to charge/transfer data. It is SLOW as well. The touch screen isn't too sensitive either, and I have small fingers that still manage to push the wrong buttons. The unlock button is also the power button, which is too small to reach easily. Playing YouTube videos results in the volume defaulting to MAX and I can't figure out how to turn it down. Google Maps is also a POS. I have to type in the full address and it doesn't allow me to navigate to saved locations very effectively. While using it in the car at night, the screen defaults to a blinding brightness setting that I can't figure out how to dim while driving the car. I want to like this phone but it's not doing it for me. I also not impressed with the plan rate, about $76 a month even after the Army discount. Most of it is to pay for a voice plan that I don't use anyhow.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:16:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 4:17:05 AM EDT by Matthew_Q]
Odd that your phone requires drivers just to charge from USB. I have a Droid, and when I plug it into a Windows or Linux box, it charges, and if I mount the USB storage, I see the SD card on the computer. The Droid 2 may be different.

If it's locking up and crashing on you, you may have a bum unit. Take that puppy back and get it replaced. You might want to check out the Droid X instead. Sounds like the bigger screen may be beneficial to you.

Also in the car, I know what you're talking about. I haven't used mine for navigation in a long time, but Google Maps was supposed to add a feature that switched the colors after sunset to be a little easier on the eyes. I use Locale (not free unfortunately) with the dock plugin to change settings when I have the phone in a dock. You could use this with a time parameter to turn the brightness all the way down when in the car dock after xx:xx hour.

There's also an application called Sound Manager which will let you see the volume settings for different things (ring, in call, media[which is what YouTube will use])
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:18:05 AM EDT
iPhone.

Most intuitive interface. Most apps available.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:20:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:25:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 4:26:49 AM EDT by jcarrel]

I was looking at different phones and plans, and noticed that the Android OS has full support of features in apps like Google Maps (like navigation with satellite view, etc...) whereas BlackBerry won't support navigation in Google Maps, and iPhone doesn't have much support at all.

I really need a smartphone with a robust data function, GPS, mapping, navigation, etc... as well as fast browsing. I'm not that big into iTunes, MP3 music in a smartphone, or watching TV/Hulu.

Any ideas on Android? There appears to be a bunch of phones that support Android, like the Motorola Droid 2 and Droid X, and HTC has a line as well. How is Verizon and the Droid phones?

iPhone 4 has gotten a lot of attention, but I really dislike iTunes and the reduced battery life of the iPhones.

The issued BlackBerry I have is pretty good, but it is very spartan in terms of features (BB OS 4.x) and the browsing sucks.

Is there a simple choice? My monthly service plan budget should be under $70 USD, and I don't need a lot of voice minutes. I mainly need a great data plan with excellent coverage in CONUS and in Hawaii.
Battery life has improved on the iphone 4 compared to previous by a lot. My girls evo has a worse battery life doing the same thing as my iphone4. It all depends on what you are looking for. The evo has a giant screen but in my case it is almost too big. I carry my phone in my pocket and lugging my girls phone around is a pain in the ass. It looks good, but just depends if you really want/need it. If you are using it for apps can be a different story. Most smartphones have all of your generic apps but iphone still has the curve on that. You said you don't do much music(like I do) so iphone may not be for you. I don't particularly like the layout on the evo compared to the iphone, but that may just be me. Iphone just seems easier to navigate.

Both me and my girls plan (iphone(at&t) and evo(sprint)) have about 100 dollar a month plans. Neither of us had had problems with coverage. Finding a smart phone with data plan for 70 bucks a month might be difficult.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:34:31 AM EDT
I have a Droid. I use it for browsing, GPS navigation, music, email, movies (RockPlayer rules!) all the time. I think I would recommend the Droid X if you have big fingers and old eyes like me. The screen is much bigger.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:37:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 4:39:41 AM EDT by metroplex]

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
Odd that your phone requires drivers just to charge from USB. I have a Droid, and when I plug it into a Windows or Linux box, it charges, and if I mount the USB storage, I see the SD card on the computer. The Droid 2 may be different.

If it's locking up and crashing on you, you may have a bum unit. Take that puppy back and get it replaced. You might want to check out the Droid X instead. Sounds like the bigger screen may be beneficial to you.

Also in the car, I know what you're talking about. I haven't used mine for navigation in a long time, but Google Maps was supposed to add a feature that switched the colors after sunset to be a little easier on the eyes. I use Locale (not free unfortunately) with the dock plugin to change settings when I have the phone in a dock. You could use this with a time parameter to turn the brightness all the way down when in the car dock after xx:xx hour.

There's also an application called Sound Manager which will let you see the volume settings for different things (ring, in call, media[which is what YouTube will use])

I used the supplied cable and attached it to a work laptop, and it wouldn't charge because the drivers can't be installed w/o admin permission. I read on Google that the drivers need to be installed (probably automatic on normal laptops) in order for the Droid to be charged.

The funny part is that the Verizon store had probably 4 Droid 2's and a few Droid X's. Only 1 of them was functional and it was pretty half-assed at that. The store rep had to do a hard reset and reconfigure the phone to make it work properly. They blamed it on the summer, kids out of school, being in a mall, etc... blah blah blah.

My Droid 2 said the battery was at 30%, I did a hard reset and now it is at 50%. WTF over. I'm not impressed at all to be honest. I used iPhone in the past and wasn't impressed either. I think the worst part (IMHO) is that I have to pay $75 a month to use it. I might as well stick to my antiquated Tom Tom, my digital camera, MP3 player, and my netbook to do a better job without a monthly bill.

I couldn't do much customizing on my Droid 2. I see lots of Apps, and I wouldn't want to pay money to buy Apps to fix the phone. Same goes for iPhone and BlackBerry.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:38:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mazeman:
iPhone.

Least amount of customization. Most of those numerous apps are either games or useless. The interface isn't much different on Android, except (again with the customization) Android allows you to install different home screen apps that change the way you interface with it.

Then there's widgets... and real multitasking...

I'd sum it up like this:

If you want something you are not going to futz with or customize, an iPhone will be great for you (if you like AT&T, or want to wait until Verizon gets 'em)
If you want something you can tinker with and customize seven ways to Sunday, you will love Android.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:38:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taboot:
I have a Droid. I use it for browsing, GPS navigation, music, email, movies (RockPlayer rules!) all the time. I think I would recommend the Droid X if you have big fingers and old eyes like me. The screen is much bigger.

None of the Droid X's were working in the store. I had to borrow one of the rep's personal phones to try it. The screens aren't the issue, it's everything else.

The GPS nav / Google Maps isn't that great. I had it crash/lock my Droid 2 a few times. It would suck badly if I were driving and relying on it for directions.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:41:26 AM EDT
You honestly should have looked into the Palm Pre. WebOS is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:42:13 AM EDT

I used the supplied cable and attached it to a work laptop, and it wouldn't charge because the drivers can't be installed w/o admin permission. I read on Google that the drivers need to be installed (probably automatic on normal laptops) in order for the Droid to be charged.

The funny part is that the Verizon store had probably 4 Droid 2's and a few Droid X's. Only 1 of them was functional and it was pretty half-assed at that. The store rep had to do a hard reset and reconfigure the phone to make it work properly. They blamed it on the summer, kids out of school, being in a mall, etc... blah blah blah.

My Droid 2 said the battery was at 30%, I did a hard reset and now it is at 50%. WTF over. I'm not impressed at all to be honest. I used iPhone in the past and wasn't impressed either. I think the worst part (IMHO) is that I have to pay $75 a month to use it. I might as well stick to my antiquated Tom Tom, my digital camera, MP3 player, and my netbook to do a better job without a monthly bill.

VZW has had trouble keeping the X in stock because it's very popular. Not so sure about the 2, but it's very new.

What you're seeing with the battery is due to the fact that the phone really only estimates the battery's charge status. Some people with original Droids would get the 20% warning very quickly and then reboot and it would instantly go back up above 50%.

One thing I noticed with my Droid was the first few days I had it, the battery life was pretty poor. It got better after a week or so. Many people over at the androidforums noticed the same behavior. Be sure to charge it up fully, then run it down until it warns you the first time. Then just use it. The life should get better over a few days.

If the phone still derps on you frequently, have the guys at the store order you a replacement, or a Droid X if you want, and ship it directly to you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:43:24 AM EDT
If you're using GPS Maps/Navigation, uninstall the latest Maps install and do a search to find the previous release. The latest release has some bugs in it that causes Maps/Nav to shut down or go to black screen. I installed the older version and it's worked fine since.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:46:36 AM EDT

None of the Droid X's were working in the store. I had to borrow one of the rep's personal phones to try it. The screens aren't the issue, it's everything else.

The GPS nav / Google Maps isn't that great. I had it crash/lock my Droid 2 a few times. It would suck badly if I were driving and relying on it for directions.

I've used the Nav many times without issue. I haven't used it since the 2.2 update though, which has caused other crashing problems on my phone.

If you're going to use the nav in the car a lot, think about getting an FM transmitter. I use Pandora and the nav at the same time through the car stereo. When the GPS wants to give you a voice command, it mutes the Pandora. Works great. Also, if a call comes in, it mutes the volume on everything else.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:50:38 AM EDT

The phone crashing is out of the ordinary. I've used my Droid for several trips over many hours and never had a problem. Get that sucker exchanged.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:55:16 AM EDT

Given that you're with Verizon (can you switch to Sprint?) and the poorness of their Droid lineup, I think you should reconsider the iPhone (January?) it may work better for you. (I am with Sprint and have an EVO G4 running android 2.2 (Froyo) so I am not an Apple fan boy.)

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:56:05 AM EDT
Posting from my droid 2 now. I like it, had a eris liked it too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:01:38 AM EDT
Apparently since I own the Iphone 4 and love it, I drink the Apple cool-aid? Apple makes a good phone, but the rest of their products can go to hell...
The only reason why I don't like Apple is because their prices are ridiculous for what you get in return. Do they make good products? Yes, if you exclude Itunes. To say that they don't, just makes you look like an idiot.

Some people on here are so full of BS.

The iphone 4 is a great device. Is it the one for you?....well, I think that truly depends on if you like AT&T. For the most part, AT&T works great where I live. It is the cell phone company that I have used for years. I don't feel like changing companies, so what did I do? I bought the best phone that AT&T has to offer.

Are there better devices than the Iphone4? Sure there are. Is android one of them....Well, android has one thing going for them, and that is the simple fact that several different companies are competing with each other to make the best smart phone. All of these companies are using the Android OS. Every now and then, one of them is going to make it right....(like 1 out of 10)
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:14:15 AM EDT

The Iphone4 has a longer battery life than the EVO does. It's not a problem anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:17:44 AM EDT

I couldn't do much customizing on my Droid 2. I see lots of Apps, and I wouldn't want to pay money to buy Apps to fix the phone. Same goes for iPhone and BlackBerry.

As far as the battery goes, I have noticed that the life is an estimate of what you are currently doing. So if you are currently navigating in the cradle ( which means GPS and full brightness ) then your estimated life is going to be lower. But as soon as you take it out of the cradle and disable GPS the Life will increase agian. Also if you have for some reason rebooted the phone a couple times in a couple minutes it will give you a low battery estimate as rebooting or turning on the phone sucks up a lot of power. I dont have a problem with charging on a pc but I also have a gen 1 Droid so differences are abound.

There is a program called tasker available on and off the market which you can use for total automation of your droid based phone. In the morning I have my bluetooth come on when I go out to my car (location based profile ) and drive to work so it connects to my car, and it turns off when I get to work. I also have my sound switch to the silent profile when I get to work as well ( I use a time profile for this). Hell you can even use it to decrease the screen brightness will using navigation if you want to. It is an awesome app.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:21:46 AM EDT
I tried them all and don't really see any value in them, especially at the exorbitant monthly plans. The Android was probably the last vestige of a smartphone that interested me. There's too much adjusting/changing/updating to make it work right. It reminds me of a computer from the 1990s. Nowadays I can do a clean install of Windows 7 on a netbook and everything is peaches and cream with minimal tweaking.

The nav was OK when it was working, but they really need to allow you to store destinations like a Tom Tom, instead of relying on previous searches. I also assumed My Maps would be tightly integrated. I have to travel to remote places that don't have addresses but I marked them down in My Maps. The Droid maps allows you to overlay them as a layer but I couldn't figure out how to use them as destinations.

I heard that they will exchange the phone with a refurbished model. I bought the Assurion plan but I think I have enough time to get a full refund on everything, including the service and activation fee. I did not have a cell phone or plan before I got the Droid 2.

I hate the trackpad/trackball and browser on BlackBerry, I hate iTunes and Apple, and I don't like paying up the wazoo for apps to fix Android especially when I'm paying $75/month. The main reason I wanted the Droid 2 was for Android. I couldn't really try everything in the store, but the GPS/Nav was a major disappointment.

I'd try going to an older Google Maps, but I did a hard reset on the phone and they want me to activate it. I don't want to risk paying another $35.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:24:51 AM EDT

iPhone.

Least amount of customization. Most of those numerous apps are either games or useless. The interface isn't much different on Android, except (again with the customization) Android allows you to install different home screen apps that change the way you interface with it.

Then there's widgets... and real multitasking...

I'd sum it up like this:

If you want something you are not going to futz with or customize, an iPhone will be great for you (if you like AT&T, or want to wait until Verizon gets 'em)
If you want something you can tinker with and customize seven ways to Sunday, you will love Android.
He just bought a phone using Android OS, and regrets it.

I know.... let's try another one with Android OS.

Tinker away, OP.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:34:12 AM EDT
Mazeman: Android has the right idea. I despise iTunes with a vengeance. BlackBerry is a lot more stable but it is very restrictive. I tried the BB Storm and it locked up on me in the store!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:47:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mktopside:

The Iphone4 has a longer battery life than the EVO does. It's not a problem anymore.

orly now. how many hours do you get?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:14:19 AM EDT
you got a dud, take it back to the store. you're experience with Android is completely different from mine and about 99% of the droid community.

i'm not a Droid fan boy or anything, i have Sprint therefor i i'm limited in the phones i can get.

i think if you get a new phone half your problems will go away. the other half will be fixed when you learn how to use your new phone. Both the iPhone AND android have a steep learning curve cause off all the customization, and apps, and widgets you can change.

http://androidforums.com/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:25:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:52:07 AM EDT
Well, so much for me pulling the trigger on a Droid X order.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:23:04 AM EDT
I returned my Droid 2 and canceled my Verizon account. I had to eat the restocking fee ($35 + tax), but lesson learned: If the store tells you that the phones aren't working right because it is "a mall, it's summer, and there are kids everywhere that might mess with the phones" - it's a sign of BS.

BTW, a person next in line bought a HTC Droid and a few other people had HTC Droids. The menu was FLYING and there wasn't a BS issue with opening an item while trying to scroll the screen. It seemed like the HTC Droid/Incredible was much much better. I did not like the Droid 2's interface FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:30:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pdg45acp:
Well, so much for me pulling the trigger on a Droid X order.

Oh, rethink that. I just got my X and it is crazy cool. My son is so jealous right now. I love this thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:30:19 AM EDT
iPhone.

They need an app that cam make a phone call. RF performance sucks even before the metal band issue, ATT just lets them do what they want because it's the i-phone.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:33:11 AM EDT
iPhone.

I love my android. I have it customized just the way I want it. If you want a "plug 'n' play" device though, the Iphone is it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:35:11 AM EDT
I'm on my 2nd droid phone , no regrets, the only issue I've had was when I installed a 3rd party ROM and it screwed up the phone, other than that its been fine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top