Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
For what he is looking to do with it I fail to see the problem with him buying a dpms rifle so long as the price is fair. My brother's ran very well and was pretty accurate. If he's wanting to shoot them at longer ranges, my suggestion would be a bolt action rifle (22-250 puts them down pretty well ). If he's calling them in close then he should have no problems with an AR.

He seen this and said, he would like the extra capacity for home/self defense also just in case. He aleady has bolt rifles.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Stag or LMT.

nothing wrong with a DPMS or a Bushmaster either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
There's an app for that:

ETA: The short version is–– If he wants cheap, get a recent production S&W M&P-15 and some PMags.  Even has a cool logo, and a hell of a lot less gay than a fucking panther on your mag-well.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
No love for CMMG ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No love for CMMG ?

I'm happy with my CMMG 14.5"+ pinned Phantom upper.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stag makes the best rifles for the price, tell him to go that route.

The Spikes M4 for $800 with sights and two Pmags is hard to beat.

panther arms sport tactical 685.00 from cabelas.. with my new cabelas card !

I  hope you are not referring to a Sportical, they are absolute bottom line AR15's. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra $115 on the Spikes, front and rear sights, chrome lined 4150 barrel, auto carrier with MP bolt and 2 Pmags are worth way more than that. Not to mention the DPMS doesn't have a forward assist, dust cover or shell deflector.

Spikes M4LE =

DPMS Sportical =

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stag makes the best rifles for the price, tell him to go that route.

The Spikes M4 for $800 with sights and two Pmags is hard to beat.

panther arms sport tactical 685.00 from cabelas.. with my new cabelas card !

I  hope you are not referring to a Sportical, they are absolute bottom line AR15's. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra $115 on the Spikes, front and rear sights, chrome lined 4150 barrel, auto carrier with MP bolt and 2 Pmags are worth way more than that. Not to mention the DPMS doesn't have a forward assist, dust cover or shell deflector.

Spikes M4LE =

DPMS Sportical =  

I'm pretty sure i've ran the shit out of my Sportical with cheap ammo and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
DPMS is fine. So is Bushmaster. So is Armalite. So is RRA.

It really doesn't make much difference, as long as it's not bottom-of-the-barrel quality like Century or Olympic (even then, it's still not going to be an incredible chasm of quality inequality). The amount of nitpicking & blind brand loyalty that goes on here is at times ridiculous in the extreme. The amount of $$$ difference he'd pay between, say, a DPMS and a POF AR would not even come CLOSE to the performance difference your average, 95 percentile, casual shooter would ever experience. No sense being retarded with your money in this economy.

Any DPMS product will be just fine for the general AR consumer.

Plus, DPMS rifles come from an awesome state.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

what's the knock on DPMS?

It's not Tier 1

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My only experience with DPMS is a stripped lower and lower parts kit.  Both work fine. I wouldnt hesitate to get a complete rifle from them if the price was right.

That being said, talk him into getting a stripped lower and a J&T kit.  I've put two of their kits together now and they make a great product at a solid price.  $499 for a basic kit, and Spikes lowers can be had for around $80.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They put ten monkeys in a room with a pile of bananas in the middle.  As soon as any monkey goes to grab the bananas, they sprayed the entire room of monkeys with freezing cold water.  They took one monkey out and replaced it with a monkey who didnt know any better.  Monkey went for the bananas, and the other nine savagely attacked him.  They then replaced another monkey with a fresh monkey, who went for the bananas.  He was savagely attacked.  This went on and on until all ten monkeys were replaced, and none of the original monkeys remained.  They replaced one monkey with a fresh monkey, who went after the bananas.  The other nine monkeys attacked the new monkey, and they didnt really know why.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leave him alone and just be glad he's not an anti.  The DPMS will be fine.

+1
Go shooting with him after he gets it.

Oh I definetly will.

As far as the other comments. He has heard Bushmaster is the worst. They are not the greatest I know from experience, but definetly not anywhere near the worst.
BTW: He is next to me and wanted me to back up my word that DPMS are not the best. I am not saying they are the worst either. I have shot a bull barreled one with no FA and it seemed to shoot fine, just not as good as others.

Shit, I'd take a Bushy over a DPMS, but that's my preference.
My main beef with DPMS is their MIM FCGs. I don't like MIM.

Than again I do have 4 DPMS lowers....

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
My DPMS bull 20 groups just as tight as my Colt A2 and my Bushy M4ish. Maybe better. Just insert an Accuwedge to take the slop out.
No issues with it whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They put ten monkeys in a room with a pile of bananas in the middle.  As soon as any monkey goes to grab the bananas, they sprayed the entire room of monkeys with freezing cold water.  They took one monkey out and replaced it with a monkey who didnt know any better.  Monkey went for the bananas, and the other nine savagely attacked him.  They then replaced another monkey with a fresh monkey, who went for the bananas.  He was savagely attacked.  This went on and on until all ten monkeys were replaced, and none of the original monkeys remained.  They replaced one monkey with a fresh monkey, who went after the bananas.  The other nine monkeys attacked the new monkey, and they didnt really know why.

That sounds kinda like Century
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:25:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Let the guy buy what he want's, did everyone eat bowl full of stupid today????? Each Company has produced Junk AR's,Parts or on the extreme edges of the tolerances. Unless you have the Grand or more to pimp out your rifle far beyond your own shooting capabilities. Each weapon is going to be a cranky bitch out of the box. She isn't even warmed up or wet till after 1,000 rounds threw her. Each rifle has it own personality and shooting envelope. It's what you do to get intimate with it and get to know her that will make it a great rifle and you a good shooter. But then again letting you buddy pay 1,300 for an M&P you should be slapped and then allowed to B*tch slap the hell out of him....... on the low end you can build an AR for $500. Scratch that comment about slapping you & your Buddy..... He is why some one can invest in AR's and sell them at retirement or Obmam times and survive on the cash made off of that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]
The buyer is always right.

I only offer a personal opinion on weapon selection  when asked to offer one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:19:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1  Everyone doesn't need to drive a Porsche or Ferrari either, lots of people get there just fine in a Hyundai.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sometimes there is no convincing people. I have a buddy that just bought an S&W M&P for $1900. I told him not to do it, that I could find him a way better deal, or a much better rifle for the money, but he came over with it about two hours later.

WOW!!!!! How was he able to walk after that kind of ass-raping? What a dumbass.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:22:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:24:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Suck it up and let him buy the DPMS.  It is better than no AR15 at all and it is all about what makes him happy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:28:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  Everyone doesn't need to drive a Porsche or Ferrari either, lots of people get there just fine in a Hyundai.

yeah but the Ferrari and the Porsche sure does help pick up the pretty ladies.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Who cares what he gets-it is his money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:42:54 AM EDT
[#23]

I wouldn't pay $1200 for a DPMS, but I did pay $425 for one NIB a few months ago.

It's okay for the money.

Of course, I have replaced the BCG, stock, charging handle, buffer, buffer tube and flash hider.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:44:11 AM EDT
[#24]
My DPMS LR-308 has run fine for the last 3 years.  The finish is as decent as any.  The function has been flawless.
I've also got a DTI kit build on a DPMS lower that has been find for over 3 years.  Again, the finish is fine on the lower.

I don't know anything about the complete rifles from DPMS –– other than my LR-308.  But if it is any indication, I have no complaints (until DPMS started screwing with the upper receiver heights on the LR-308)

–– John
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Try one time to straighten him out.  Then let him do what he wants, and be happy for him and his purchase.

It's what friends do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:49:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Stag?

seconded
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#27]
BCM––-or go home
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#28]
His mind is made up, and he obviously doesn't want your opinion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:05:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Why all the hate?  DPMS is OK.  Would this be my first choice?  Probably not, but DPMS is OK...  

I'd bet it will work.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Tell him to get a Vulcan, I have heard that they make a fine product.   After all, they are the guns of Special Forces.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:12:57 AM EDT
[#31]
The only real flaw of the DPMS that I've heard of is the BOLT. Rumor has it, that DPMS didn't make it out of the correct grade steel, and there is a possibility of it shattering. This is just tales from the gun counter, BTW.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#32]
What about a Del-ton kit? Pretty inexpensive, and I've had great luck with mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't fix stupid.

ETA. What will be the purpose of said rifle?

Coyote hunting. 16-18 inch barrel max

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

The DPMS will probably be fine and if not he can get practice changing some parts here and there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Not good enough for the Elitist cock-fags here.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't speak about DPMS' AR-style products but we've been pretty satisfied with the four LR-series rifles (SASS, AP4, 308, 65) that we own.

My only gripe with the 'standard' LR configuration is the rough trigger, and my wife has commented on this as well. With the exception of the SASS lower - which incorporates a JP setup - all of the stock triggers are going to be swapped for another type.

Everything else about the platform - fit, finish, overall build quality - appears fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#37]
No problem with a DPMS. Just tell him not to get the "sportical"

I'm really tired of the whole "Oh, DPMS? I'm really sorry to hear that your not a big enough man to take saving your life and those of your loved ones seriously. If you had any interest in seeing your kids get past age 5, you would at MINIMUM buy a BCM with an aimpoint. Those are statisticly proven to be the only rifles that will fire in a UN, blue helmet, zombie, commie home invasion/ rape."

At least he is buying a fucking gun
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yeah, I tried to talk my buddies Army father out of a Judge, but I didn't get very far either.

And suprise, suprise:  He probably actually likes it, right?  Most Judge owners do like them.  So what?  Live and let live.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#39]
IBTC

In before "The Chart"
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Immerse him in the copious Kool-Aid available concerning "the Pony".

He may not get "the best" like a DPMS, but he can get "the Army standard", and that's not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'm going to have to go with this I think.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Nothing wrong with DPMS.  Too many AR shooters are brand snobs.  There really isn't that much difference between the brands.  It's pretty mature technology.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I won't buy DPMS again.  

Among other experiences, the one that stands out the most in my mind is when I bought their fixed rear BUIS.  The first one was defective and had to be sent back.  The second one was defective too, in a different manner (the elevation drum wouldn't go past "3").  I understand every manufacturer puts out a lemon now and again but how do you @#$@# something up twice???

Were I you, I'd tell your buddy to buy a Stag or RRA lower and match it to a BCM upper.  If he's pressed for cash Armalite is having a sale right now (check the sticky at the top of the forum); substitute an Armalite upper for the BCM upper to save a few bucks but frankly I think BCM is the way to go.  

Unless his local dealer has Stag or RRA lowers in stock for decent pricing, check out AR15Sales.com for decent prices and good service.  I've bought a lot of stuff from Pete and his customer service is great.  Same with BCM.

Edit:  BCM is having a sale on uppers right now!  Tell him to look at their website.  Their M4 16" upper is $385 (sans handguards, CH and BCG).  Add a BCM auto BCG and CH for $135 and you get a top notch upper assembly for $520.  Throw in a Magpul MOE handguard ($30 shipped from AIM Surplus) to complete the upper, for a grand total of $550.  What's a fully assembled Stag lower going for these days, $300?  I don't know because I've built my last three lowers.

In summary, for $850 plus FFL fee (for the lower) he gets:

- Stag complete lower (with 6-position collapsable stock)
- BCM 16" M4 upper
- BCM auto BCG
- Magpul MOE handguards

Not too shabby, and IMO much better than a rifle from a company with a spotty customer service record (DPMS).

Edit 2:  if he's got a little more cash to spend I would have him spring for the RRA 2-stage trigger, again from AR15Sales.com.  $99 shipped gets you a very good 2-stage trigger that is miles above the stock trigger.  If he's tight on cash, have his trigger group sent to Bill Springfield for his $35 trigger job.  If he's got even more cash to spend, refer him to ADCO for a Geissele SSA trigger ($170).  Either way, he's gonna get a much better rifle than buying from DPMS ... and for about the same price!

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

4th post nails it

if it breaks on him he'll buy a new one

chances are its going to sit in the safe most of the time anyway
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#46]
CMMG has bargain bin rifles for 600.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#47]
BCM.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Meh, my DPMS works fine with anything but steel-cased ammo.

Maybe if I cleaned it, it'd work a bit better, but it's really not worth the time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

YES!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had a dpms . Many FTF. Sold it.
Tell him to buy BCM.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top