Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I would. Buddy of mine has an ocelot and a bobcat. Both are pretty cool. But, said buddy also learned the hard way not to tease the ocelot with his food.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the temperament of the animal. You also have to devote enough time to keep the animal stimulated.

That cat seems gentle enough, but it could maim/kill accidentally during hard play or if it gets old/senile and startled by something. Supposedly, Cheetahs are the safest fully wild big cat. They don't attack people (unless rabid) because their fast, fragile bodies are poorly suited for fighting and the slightest injury could result in death by starvation.

That's true. Cheetahs rarely fight; not over food anyway. Perhaps they would fight to protect their young. Cheetahs will usually walk away from a fresh kill if even a single hyena comes along. Not only could even a minor injury result in starvation, but they are also exhausted after e.g. running down a gazelle at 70 MPH.

IIRC cheetahs are the only member of the cat family which cannot detract their claws. They are permanantly extended like canines. The theory being, because they need them to be be extended in order to run and make drastic turns at high speed when chasing their prey.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a guy locally that had a female lion for 14 years approx, it got sick, had to be put down.

He got it when it was real young... said he never had a problem with it, it never really hurt anybody...

But he also said he would never be around it without a firearm.

This guy also runs a military museum, and is a little eccentric.

I know I sure as fuck wouldn't want any large cats around.  Personally, even a serval is too much for my taste/comfort.

Mountain lion?  No fucking way.

I'm sure it can be done, and some people would be just fine...

But, count me out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a wild animal. The person with that cougar is going to eventually have a Youtube (or Liveleak if it's bad enough) moment.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea...  

after it came back from the taxidermist
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a chance.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#7]
My dad had one when my sister and I was growing up it was pretty cool but it did play pretty rough one Christmas I was help put a star up on the antenna pole and jumped off and scared it I guess and it bit me right on my butt cheek like a rump roast  just left a small bruise.  It got donated to a drive thru zoo "arbuckle wilderness"
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Just get a ratllesnake, that way when it kills you the family can still do an open casket.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:37:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Insane
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I definatly wouldnt allow a cat thats big enough to kill a fucking deer or a person in my home!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#11]
You can get past a dog, but nobody fucks with a lion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]
no.

eta: as said before by other folks, I don't trust the two housecats we have right now.  No way in fucking hell I'd get one that could easily kill me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Too much kitteh.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#14]
ya. talk to sigmond and roid or what ever the fuck those butt humpers names are about this
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:12:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Nope
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#16]
No way. This morning my nine-pound cat woke me up by "attacking" my foot. A playful mountain lion might have taken my foot off or maybe one of its fangs would hit an artery and I'd have bled to death.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#17]
You'd need a litter box the size of a bathtub.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#18]
All it takes is two seconds of pissed off cougar to ruin your day.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I remember once what Rush Limbaugh said" A tiger is a tiger is a tiger" Meaning you only think it's tame.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My working ferrets fuck me up bad enough. Hell no on the big cats.

The weasel family is probably the only land animals that rival the cat family for pound-for-pound deadliness. The wolverine and the honey badger are two notable examples.

Word. I have two sprites (spayed females) that are active working animals, very loving and docile after work. But before they go to work, they will make you BLEED if you rub them the wrong way. And I am not talking owie or band-aids. You should see what these girls will do to a rabbit or rat, let alone a feral cat or decent sized dog.

So what do the ferrets do for work?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I used to work around mountain lions. While talking to an animal trainer I asked the same question. He put it like this. A mountain lion is a cat. A cat that's been pumping juice all its life. If you get it at the earliest possible age, it will love you like a regular cat. But like regular cats they they wanna play rough sometimes. A regular cat playing rough might draw blood. A mountain lion playing rough could kill you, even though it didn't mean to. So it could kill you not meaning to. The chances of the mountain lion just one day deciding to up and kill you after you raised it is possible but rare. Iv'e had a few epic stare downs with mountain lions and they are very nervous creatures.

i think this is the correct answer

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Begging for a stupid prize, AFAIC.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Cougars are supposedly the one big cat that can be domesticated.

I've worked a few times with juvenile tigers and once with adult tigers at a rescue facility, and they are fucking scary.  Friendly, but they can be playing around with you and kill you.  400 to 500 lb killing machines.  The little ones are killers in training.  If you turn your back on them they will instinctively try to "attack" you from behind.

From what I have read, Lion's are the easiest interact with IF you raise them from cubs as Lion's are the only cats that have a social structure.  I saw a lady that raised a male lion (fucker was huge), she hadn't seen him in years, she walked up to the cage and called his name.  He immediately came up to and put his paws on her shoulders and started licking her, then she started scratching behind his ear which caused him to act like a 400lb+ pussy cat.  She was part of his "Pride".  

I agree, Tigers are scary!!!

The Christian the Lion story is another example of this.

I bet that's the only pussy those two have ever played with.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to visit these folks outside Crane, Texas that had a huge ranch... they had three mountain lions that they kept in these huge cages and they were trying to tame them.

Those cats would just stare into you and lick their lips - no thanks. I do not know what they were thinking.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#25]
On the surface, it would be cool, but common sense tells me to pass.

Now I WOULD look at something a little smaller-given the space and funds to care for it-like a lynx.

BUT.....since i currently have neither, it's a fleeting thought.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Those cats would just stare into you and lick their lips - no thanks. I do not know what they were thinking.

They were thinking "I can has foodz?"

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't want to own anything that is higher on the food chain than me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#28]
you got to drive with the fear!

but really no fucking way

like another poster said my house cat sometimes sneaks out of the dark and grabs my leg and tries to eat me
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If by "pet" you mean full body mount trophy.....then yes. A living cougar? Fuck no.

This is my reply. I also have a black bear...............but he is a rug.

There was a gal in Newport in the early eighties with one
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So what do the ferrets do for work?

I would also like to know that.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think having a panther hanging on a black leather couch would be some bad ass sexy shit. But I know it'd never happen.

Furry?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I had a dream where I was watching a BIG mountain lion through a scope after spotlighting him; He walked to the left and started climbing up something (in my dream).  Then, I came halfway out of my dream, but the mountain lion was still there, claws dug into the ceiling, staring at me with it's glowing eyes.  It took a minute before I realized that the green light on the smoke detector was NOT the eye of a killer animal in my bedroom.

I'd have a hard time explaining to the fiancee why I ventilated the ceiling with a .45. Glad I didn't decide to shoot it.  Anywho, that experience ruined any ideas I had about having a 120lbs cat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Tidbit about cougars: My 10-year-old nephew and his friend were face to face with one in rural MN last weekend, and it was spotted about a quarter mile away later that day. My nephew didn't know what it was at the time, but the DNR told my sister that his description and the report given by the other people put it 100% a cougar.

No way I would own one as a pet unless I had one huge cage. And by cage I mean 10 acre fenced-in Thunderdome.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No way I would own one as a pet unless I had one huge cage. And by cage I mean 10 acre fenced-in Thunderdome.

If I was rich enough I would own a big-cat preserve.

Ideally it would be long & narrow and run along Arizona's southern border.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I was rich enough I would own a big-cat preserve.

Ideally it would be long & narrow and run along Arizona's southern border.

I just picture the scene where they're scaling the fence in Jurassic Park. Although there would be a twist
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Owning a wild cat ranks up there on my list of really really bad ideas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I fully encourage some people to own tigers, cougars, chimps, cobras, reticulated pythons, etc.

The risk of Darwin Award time, as the owner takes his rightful place in the food chain, is just too great.  Innocent bystander?  Fuck 'em...they were dumb enough to hang out with an idiot that owns an animal that will probably eat them some day. They deserve what they get.

The only people I have sympathy for are the young kids of retards who own animals that eat those children.  Then again, the kids probably have the retard genes in them, so it's probably no great loss.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#38]
My grandfather knew a DNR officer in Ft. Bragg area who had two bobcat's as pets. He said nothing entered that yard besides him. He could handle them but if someone was going to visit he had to cage them before they could get out of their vehicle. He took them when their mother was killed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll bet one of these idiots is going to get himself a pet Great White shark and raise him from a little pup in his swimming pool only to be surprised one day when it tears his arms off.  Pets are domesticated animals.  A "pet" mountain lion is a ticking time bomb that could go off at any second for "no apparent" reason.

AV1611 out......
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#40]

There was a guy who kept a King Cobra as a pet.  He would leave it out in his apartment when he was gone.  No shit.  One night he came home drunk and it killed him.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I had a pet Coyote about 20 years ago, we got him just as he was weened.

He was the best dog I ever had but he was still a Coyote, he killed my favorite cat right in front of me.

Imagine a Mountian Lion as the best Kitteh you've ever had, then imagine Kitteh killing your favorite grandchild right in front of you.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

IIRC cheetahs are the only member of the cat family which cannot detract their claws. They are permanantly extended like canines. The theory being, because they need them to be be extended in order to run and make drastic turns at high speed when chasing their prey.

Correct.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Back in '84 or '85, I was at the Mardi Gras Boogie in Covington, LA.  A King Air landed and out stepped two model looking chicks each being led by a cougar on a leash.  Then out stepped some surfer type dude with blond hair, shorts, Hawaiian shirt and flip flops.  It's good to be King.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Dude, you can get past a dog. Nobody fucks with a Cougar
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Uh, no thanks.  I have a couple of scars from playing with my house cats.  One that big and you could end up missing a limb pretty fast.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#46]
I think I would rather a 500lb black bear than a 120lb cat. I've seen the vids of pet bears and they remind me somewhat of dogs as far as obeying and behaving but a 120lb cat is simply a death machine. Even if it loves you and wants to play you could still rack up a few hundred stitches. I know mine likes to wrap its "arms" around mine and kick with its hind legs, it does it hard enough to draw blood when its in a playing mood. I imagine if he was 10x his size I wouldn't have an arm left.

Although you couldn't beat the protection when you are away. Nothing like the growl of a big cat right behind you ready to pounce to really let you know you broke into the wrong house. With their speed a gun would probably be useless if it was even remotely close.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#47]
This one lives in my house.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#48]
LOL a the comments.

"my pet cougar is your mom!!"  
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Not just no but fuck no.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Sure I would, I like having my flesh flailed from my body and my entrails eaten in front of me while I gasp my last breath!

I did own an albino burmese python for years and he got so big and heavy that I had to drape his head over one arm and his tail over the other and drag him out. I think he peaked out about 180 lbs and 15 feet. Fed him nothing but warmed turkey legs.

One time I had some biker friends from Canada visiting and they were terrified of snakes. We'd been drinking a bit and I decided to show them the python. I reached in totally the wrong way and he latched onto my arm. Blood was everywhere and these three big guys ran out of the house screaming like girls.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top