Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 11:46:17 AM EDT
I have a used equipment case that has one of those combination locks with three coaxial dials and a release button.  (This is the same type of lock that's commonly used on briefcases.)

The case is open, but I don't know what the combination is.  What's the secret to resetting the combo?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Normally they won't close if not on the current combination.  BTW it only takes about 10-15 minutes (depending on your proficiency) to get through all 1000 possible combinations on these.

Anyway, normally, once open you push the release the opposite way from the direction to normally release the latch and hold it there...then cycle numbers to new combination and release.

HTH
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice.

Testing the combinations turned out to take a lot less than 10 minutes.  It was set to "0 0 0". [:D]

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Normally they won't close if not on the current combination.  BTW it only takes about 10-15 minutes (depending on your proficiency) to get through all 1000 possible combinations on these.

Anyway, normally, once open you push the release the opposite way from the direction to normally release the latch and hold it there...then cycle numbers to new combination and release.

HTH
View Quote

Yep-- its real easy to scan through them. I did it in less than two minutes one day to my friend's case-- he flipped out!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top