Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/1/2010 7:27:08 AM EDT
That's right, not blind! We can now put this to rest. Evidence? Compare Claudia's movements/behaviors to Eli and it's obvious Eli was not blind.

ETA:
Just got home from work and saw that my thread has exploded....nice!

I watched the first part again where he explored the house. The only time he made clicking sounds (echolocation) was when he was calling the mouse. At the sink he didn't feel around for the knobs, in fact he stopped mid reach for the knob and moved the spout over his canteen then turned the knobs w/o feeling around for them. He reached directly for the double door knobs of the closet with the dead body. He bumped into the table before he opened the closet because it was dark inside and he was wearing sunglasses. Before he left the house in the morning when he looked out the window, his eyes were healthy and moving around as if he was looking outside at things. Far as the sun always hitting him and waking him up that's no indication he's blind. His meeting with Carnegie the whole time he makes eye contact like a normal sighted person. When Claudia askes him to say something he rattels his dogtags as he's starring at her and observing her reaction. I could go on and on, he HAS SIGHT!

Waiting to shoot at people only after they shot at him doesn't indicate he's blind either. As an instrument of God it makes sense he would only shoot back if shot at, ie: only showing aggression if threatened. Probably also uses the extra sensory skills he developed from when he was blind, like smelling out the hijackers and leading them into the dark, shooting birds out of the sky, killing the cat, etc...

Here's my point: I'm sure he was blind at one point in his life, however now that he's carrying the Bible he has sight. Obviously given to him by God but he has sight. This is evidenced by his eyes being visibly healthy throughout the movie then resorting back to the original state (cloudy cataracts) upon completion of his mission.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#1]
He was able to move naturally from being guided by faith.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
pretty shitty evidence man
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
huh
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I found it a bit hard to believe myself. He would be tripping over stuff all the time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Blind-Navigated by echolocation.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#7]
If he wasn't blind he was 90% of the way there. I could accept that but he couldn't do what he did without some help even if he wasn't.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The eyes dont lie
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The movie made pretty damn clear that he was blind.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The eyes dont lie

So you didn't watch the end when they zoomed towards his eyes?  

Why would you zoom towards his eyes if they didn't want you to get the twist.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Who is ElI and why would I care?

Somebody better post a picture of their girlfriend, mom or sister right now!  (A cute dog will do too)
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#13]
For Christ's sake, the entire point of the movie was that he was blind.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I still haven't seen it.  I will have to remedy that soon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How?

His pupils were a cloudy opaque white in the end indicating cataracts

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They zoomed towards his eyes many times in the movie....they were healthy. I'd call that a director fuck up OR he didn't go blind till the end of his journey.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Not blind.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In the end, yes. Not anywhere in the movie before that. His eyes were healthy and focused.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They zoomed towards his eyes many times in the movie....they were healthy. I'd call that a director fuck up OR he didn't go blind till the end of his journey.

He had glasses on for 99% of the movie.

That 1% where he did not was where they zoomed in on his mayonaise eyes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not blind until the end.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#21]
WHO THE FLYING FUCK IS ELI???????
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Not blind.

I agree.  At least not totally blind.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not blind until the end.

Quoted for truth.

He was not blind the whole movie till the end.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#24]
When he hands the wet-naps to the guy inn the store he reads off the different slogans as he pulls them out
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I just punched myself in the face.  OUCH!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Been in outer space for awhile?  No need to fear, apes haven't taken over the planet.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Uh yea, it's hard to hammer this point home to anyone who's IQ is below 34 and argues just for the sake of accomplishing something whilst ehaling CO2.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Not blind until later, probably a slow reaction to "seeing the flash". The other blind woman made a point of saying she was blind from birth so she had an easier time dealing with it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That was the base concept of the entire plot.  God was guiding Eli to Alcatraz so he could deliver the only (known) remaining copy of The Bible.  God was protecting Eli and letting him know every where, when, what, why, and how that he needed to continue his journey.  In other words, Eli made bats seem to have eagle-eye vision but the force was strong with him.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the end, yes. Not anywhere in the movie before that.

No close ups to his eye prior to the end. He wore sunglasses most the movie also.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#31]
He was blind at the end.

No way in hell was he blind the rest of the movie.

If he was supposed to be, Denzel did an absolute shit job of portraying it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Book of Eli.  Rent it now, you heathen!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#33]

He was the hand of God.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The movie " Book of Eli". Go watch it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Those who think he wasn't blind..  remember the begining of the movie when he entered the house...  he ran into a table...  fumbled through a cabinet...  felt for the person in the closet
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Eli was blind throughout the entire movie.  Watch it again if you have to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
He was blind at the end.

No way in hell was he blind the rest of the movie.

If he was supposed to be, Denzel did an absolute shit job of portraying it.

This.  Don't blame Denzel's not-up-to-par acting for misconception in the movie plot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#38]
He was blind the whole time.  That was the whole point of the movie!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The eyes dont lie

That is only b/c he was shot in the liver and it was affecting his vision as he was dying.
No way he could have downed the cat in the begining, or captured the cat oil with such ease, or seen the bikers and know to get down and take cover on the over pass, or shoot all the dudes from insane distances, or etc....
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the end, yes. Not anywhere in the movie before that.

No close ups to his eye prior to the end. He wore sunglasses most the movie also.  

Did you actually watch the movie or just bring gals over to prove you're sensitive to blind people and consequently get laid....missing the elevendy billion parts where he removed his sun glasses?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the end, yes. Not anywhere in the movie before that. His eyes were healthy and focused.

Wrong. Beginning of the movie when he wakes up and looks out of the house at the sun his pupils don't contract. Blind.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Wait, so you're saying Deckard was a replicant too?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Know what? It was a great movie. They deliberately left it open for interpretation as to whether he was truly 100% blind or not.

I happen to think that he was semi-sighted (probably legally blind) but not 100% in the dark. Others think he was totally blind and guided by God.

Either way it doesn't wreck my enjoyment of the flick.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wait, so you're saying Deckard was a replicant too?

*heads explode*
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Those who think he wasn't blind..  remember the begining of the movie when he entered the house...  he ran into a table...  fumbled through a cabinet...  felt for the person in the closet

This
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the base concept of the entire plot. God was guiding Eli to Alcatraz so he could deliver the only (known) remaining copy of The Bible. God was protecting Eli and letting him know every where, when, what, why, and how that he needed to continue his journey. In other words, Eli made bats seem to have eagle-eye vision but the force was strong with him.

Except it wouldn't take 30 'winters' to travel across the United States by foot.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I thought the filmmaker confirmed that he was blind.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the base concept of the entire plot. God was guiding Eli to Alcatraz so he could deliver the only (known) remaining copy of The Bible. God was protecting Eli and letting him know every where, when, what, why, and how that he needed to continue his journey. In other words, Eli made bats seem to have eagle-eye vision but the force was strong with him.

Except it wouldn't take 30 'winters' to travel across the United States by foot.

It would if you were blind.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes.  But it seems like they left enough fodder for the people that want to believe otherwise.

It wasn't one of those movies where the people talk to themselves and say, "Oh, the stones were placed here by Dr. Phillips to call the dolphins and save the human race!" like so many are these days.

I was trying to explain it to a friend that saw it, the spiritual element of how he was guided.  My friend would say, "No way could you shoot all those guys with a pistol.  Or win that sword fight.  Or shoot that bow..."   He just wouldn't let his mind go with the spiritual guidance aspect.  It's movie after all, it's not a science documentary.

There are a lot of scenes to be noticed when rewatching...only shooting at things that make noise.  Bumping in to things.  Trying to use the iPod even though it says it is out of battery.  Feeling for the boots on the corpse in the car.  Waiting for Claudia to talk first so he can figure out where she is.  Oh, and the nature of the freakin' book at the end.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Blind-Navigated by echolocation.

This.

In an interview for the movie Washington indicates that Eli used echolocation.

When he enters the building with the dead man hanging, he is clcking.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top