Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap you're missing the point of the movie.  

The idea was to make his blindness ambiguous so as not to spoil the ending when you realize he was blind the whole time and being guided hy God.  

Why do we keep doing this?  It is really not that hard to figure out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe because he was protected while having the book his sight was restored. But when he lost the book his sight went away and was bling like before.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The movie made pretty damn clear that he was blind.

How?

His pupils were a cloudy opaque white in the end indicating cataracts

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
pretty shitty evidence man

Maybe he just knew how to read brail? I mean, shocking, I know, but you don't HAVE to be blind to learn how to read it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
For Christ's sake, the entire point of the movie was that he was blind.

Uh yea, it's hard to hammer this point home to anyone who's IQ is below 34 and argues just for the sake of accomplishing something whilst ehaling CO2.

He was also bullet proof, until he gave up the Book

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He was blind at the end.

No way in hell was he blind the rest of the movie.

If he was supposed to be, Denzel did an absolute shit job of portraying it.

That's my take.

I reckon I'll have to watch it again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WHO THE FLYING FUCK IS ELI???????

The movie " Book of Eli". Go watch it.

Yep.  Go watch it....especially since the ending (and entire point of the movie) has now been ruined for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#8]
opening scene
nuclear winter

hunting the kittah with the bow

when is this?

years before the main story?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#9]
watch him listen to the cat to make a noise before shooting.
watch him kick steps to find where they are.
watch him brush dishes aside to feel what else is on the shelf.
watch him feel down for the boots on the body.
notice that in the gun battle in the streets he only fired after being fired upon every time, he was listening for shots.
notice that he quotes some bible versions wrong, the translation might be off from his version.

Plenty of evidence that he was being overall guided, but left for the finer/detailed things for himself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I found it a bit hard to believe myself. He would be tripping over stuff all the time.

He was, sorta.  Watch closely and you will see him stumble over broken roads, run into a table, feeling around dishes/faucet rather than looking at them. You can even hear him "clicking" as if to use echolocation.  Couple that with the "walk by faith, not by sight" philosophy and its a little more believable.

ETA: At one point, he swings his dead-kitty bag out in front of him to verify there is a car there.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the end, yes. Not anywhere in the movie before that.

No close ups to his eye prior to the end. He wore sunglasses most the movie also.  

Did you actually watch the movie or just bring gals over to prove you're sensitive to blind people and consequently get laid....missing the elevendy billion parts where he removed his sun glasses?

Removed, yes. Closes ups, only that one.

Explain how he missed that big ass sign in the front of the cannibal's farm house, and tripped on their 1st step, and only stopped at the door when his shotgun touched it.

Or only shot someone AFTER they shot at him.

Or his heighten senses (Heard the bird before they could see it, shot the cat after it meowed, smelled the bushwhackers)

Or why he's fumbling over the dead bodies by feel to search for boots in the daytime.

Or just cut to the big one and explain how he knows how to read braile?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1

I didn't think this was an aspect of the movie purposefully made open to speculation like the top spinning forever or falling at the end of "Inception".  

He was blind. Move on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the filmmaker confirmed that he was blind.

Since I rented the movie, I've done some searching on the Interwebs about it. The makers and actors have gone to painful extremes to NOT answer whether Eli was truly blind...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WHO THE FLYING FUCK IS ELI???????

This is Eli; go watch the movie.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm pretty sure that if you were blind in SHTF, and God had bigger plans for you, you'd be able to get by.

It took Moses and the Israelites 40 years to walk from Sinai to Israel, because God didn't want them getting there any quicker. I'm sure it's possible. The fact he had the only known bible makes this a pretty likely scenario.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I dunno. I need to watch the movie again. I do think the filmaker wanted us to think he was blind.

But

If he was blind, why wear sun glasses? Also, he seemed startled everytime he woke up when the sun was shining on his face.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who is ElI and why would I care?

Somebody better post a picture of their girlfriend, mom or sister right now!  (A cute dog will do too)

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmm....we need a test.

Someone flip Denzel off and see if he responds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I found it a bit hard to believe myself. He would be tripping over stuff all the time.

He did trip over stuff.  Pay attention.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you watch closely he does stumble into the small table in the room where the hanged body was and the first step at the old people cannibals.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How?

Oh I don't know, the opaque cataracts maybe?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#22]
There are stupid, stupid people in GD.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#23]
My opinion is that the movie wasn't shot well enough to prove either side of the 'some sight', or 'completely blind the entire time' side.

Whether or not he was blind or could sometimes see, I will agree that faith was the main concept of his journey.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#24]
The movie is kick ass and yes he is blind .
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#25]
He was blind but his hatred for the whitey gave him a second sight if you will. He had perect clarity of vision when he was killing white people in the movie.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He was blind but his hatred for the whitey gave him a second sight if you will. He had perect clarity of vision when he was killing white people in the movie.

WTF
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I dunno. I need to watch the movie again. I do think the filmaker wanted us to think he was blind.

But

If he was blind, why wear sun glasses? Also, he seemed startled everytime he woke up when the sun was shining on his face.

Why wear sunglasses? To hide the fact he was blind.

And you can't feel the light of the sun on your face? Close your eyes next time you are outside. You can feel it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Movie was ok...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
He was able to move naturally from being guided by faith.

This. It's a movie, supension of disbelief required.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#31]
From the synopsis listed on the official website:

"We walk by faith, not by site," quotes Eli.  Under that taut direction of the Hughes Brothers (Menace II Society), those words hit home with unexpected meaning and power.

http://thebookofeli.warnerbros.com/dvd/index.html#/About
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That's right, not blind! We can now put this to rest. Evidence? Compare Claudia's movements/behaviors to Eli and it's obvious Eli was not blind.

It's a movie.  Suspension of disbelief is required.  And he was blind for the entire movie.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF

I have said it before the movie is racist garbage. It's a movie of a black guy on a non stop killing rampage of white people. If the movie was altered so the main character was white and he killed 200 people all of whom were black during the 120 minutes there would have been boycotts and theaters burnt to the ground.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Blind.

this..it is a biblical movie and all..

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
From the synopsis listed on the official website:

"We walk by faith, not by site," quotes Eli.  Under that taut direction of the Hughes Brothers (Menace II Society), those words hit home with unexpected meaning and power.

http://thebookofeli.warnerbros.com/dvd/index.html#/About

I guess the fact he can't spell is also a sign he's blind.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF

I have said it before the movie is racist garbage. It's a movie of a black guy on a non stop killing rampage of white people. If the movie was altered so the main character was white and he killed 200 people all of whom were black during the 120 minutes there would have been boycotts and theaters burnt to the ground.

He almost got killed trying to save his little white sidekick.

And as far as I can recall he shot all sorts of motherfuckers, white, black, red and yellow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Am I the only one that thinks that God would not have wasted any time with that - he would miracle a bible a bit closer to the presses or any number of simpler, quicker ways of getting the bible back in print?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that thinks that God would not have wasted any time with that - he would miracle a bible a bit closer to the presses or any number of simpler, quicker ways of getting the bible back in print?

it'd be a pretty quick movie, huh?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It was also about Eli learning what the bible means.  He didn't realize what it meant until he sacrificed his life for someone else.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Who is ElI and why would I care?

Somebody better post a picture of their girlfriend, mom or sister right now!  (A cute dog will do too)

Here you go!!!    

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No close ups to his eye prior to the end. He wore sunglasses most the movie also.  

Did you actually watch the movie or just bring gals over to prove you're sensitive to blind people and consequently get laid....missing the elevendy billion parts where he removed his sun glasses?

Explain how he missed that big ass sign in the front of the cannibal's farm house, and tripped on their 1st step, and only stopped at the door when his shotgun touched it.
Or his heighten senses (Heard the bird before they could see it, shot the cat after it meowed, smelled the bushwhackers)
Or why he's fumbling over the dead bodies by feel to search for boots in the daytime.

My mother taught the visually impaired for a number of years. She is not blind but can read braile. Just sayin...I still think he was blind though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That's right, not blind! We can now put this to rest. Evidence? Compare Claudia's movements/behaviors to Eli and it's obvious Eli was not blind.

I really don't care if he was blind or not.  My question is; Was Eli a Muslim?
John

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#43]
I personally could give two craps about all the nitpicking details of whether or not he was blind. I loved the fact that someone might even dare insinuate the fact that god could have some kind of devine intervention.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#44]
he was not 100% blind...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

?  Had had a Bible, so probably not.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the naysayers' defense, a lot of non-blind people know how to read braille.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My mother taught the visually impaired for a number of years. She is not blind but can read braile. Just sayin...I still think he was blind though.
Possible, sure. Probable, (in the sense of this movie where most people can't even read to begin with) no  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

No fucking shit.

God damn folks, get a clue.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was able to move naturally from being guided by faith.

That was the base concept of the entire plot. God was guiding Eli to Alcatraz so he could deliver the only (known) remaining copy of The Bible. God was protecting Eli and letting him know every where, when, what, why, and how that he needed to continue his journey. In other words, Eli made bats seem to have eagle-eye vision but the force was strong with him.

Except it wouldn't take 30 'winters' to travel across the United States by foot.

It would if you were blind.

I thought God was leading him.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

?  Had had a Bible, so probably not.

No, he saved a bible that God told him to...  Why, at the end of the movie, does Eli shave his head and face, is shown lying on his death bed with a 3/4 white gown, and Eli's bible is placed next to the Koran on the book shelf?

Without trying to cater to the tinfoil crown, I think this was a less obvious (intentionally) way for liberal Hollywood to promote a Muslim hero that mainstream America would cheer for.  Just look at the fan boys in GD?

John

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top