Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2002 10:25:02 AM EDT
A friend of mine house-sits dogs for her neighbors.  One of those is a vegetarian, and has her dog on a vegetarian diet!  According to my friend, the poor dog's digestive tract is always upset, and the dog is constantly hungry when she sits it.  What kind of lame-brained idiot would do this to a poor dog?  As far as I'm concerned, this is animal cruelty, but I doubt there's anything I can do about it.  The idiot owner probably takes the dog to one of those new-age, holistic vets, the kind with a high-grade vacuum between their ears.  [:(!]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
When she house sits, have her run to the local butcher shop and get some scraps.

Feed that dog well.  Who has to know?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#2]
She must be from Berkeley where she was taught that meat is the root of all evils.

But dog's are fKN carnivore's for crying out loud!!!!  That's like trying to feed a lion a fruit diet.  Whenever I visited the zoo for feeding, lions were fed steak!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember you saying you lived up near Boulder so this is just the story I expected. How damn sad. Just how much crazier can these people get?...I know, I know...I'm not really sure I want to know.

Torf has the right idea. Only make it really, really rich Moose meat. That dog will have the nasty shits all over the house. PeeeWeee!!! [}:D]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Does she and the dog wear Berkenstocks?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep... The People's Republic of Boulder - 25 square miles surrounded by reality.  I sure do feel bad for the dog, though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
From what I've read a dog should do ok on a vegetarian diet.  Dogs are more scavenger than carnivore so their system is fairly adaptable.  The silly vegetarian bint probably isn't feeding the poor mutt enuff or tried to convert her pooch to a veg diet too suddenly/isn't buying good enuff non meat dog food.  Cats, on the other hand, are strictly carnivores & can't hack misguided vegetarian owners trying to convert them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From what I've read a dog should do ok on a vegetarian diet.  Dogs are more scavenger than carnivore so their system is fairly adaptable.  The silly vegetarian bint probably isn't feeding the poor mutt enuff or tried to convert her pooch to a veg diet too suddenly/isn't buying good enuff non meat dog food.  Cats, on the other hand, are strictly carnivores & can't hack misguided vegetarian owners trying to convert them.
View Quote

Don't all dogs decend from wolves? And aren't wolves carnivores? They do hunt. In fact all wild dogs, wolves, coyotes and hyneas all hunt for meat. I don't think it's natural for dogs to be vegetarians.

*we didn't claw our way to the top of the food chain to eat salads*
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen several healthy dogs on vegetarian diets.  One successful local breeder doesn't feed his great danes any meat.  It's the owners that put dogs on vegan diets, like my great-niece, that cause more harm.  Her dog eats mainly soy bean curd (I think that's what you call it), potatoes, pasta, and unsweetened peanut butter.  The poor dog, while he seems healthy, is so skinny his ribs show and his coat looks terrible.  He hasn't reacted to a vegan diet nearly as well as her three cats.  A local pet shop carries vegan cat food for about $1.25 per pound, and the cats seem normal enough.  I've tried talking her into feed the dog the vegan cat food, but she is determined to keep feeding it basically the same things she eats.z
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Go read the major ingredients on a bag of dog food.

#1 & 2 are vegetable products with usually a broth for flavoring only.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
This is from the back of a can of AvoDerm Lite, the dog food of choice in my house:

"Chicken, Chicken Broth, Brown Rice, Chicken Liver, Ocean Fish, Carrots, Peas, Oat Bran..."

Of course, dried dog foods tend to have a higher vegetable content, but they are not a sufficient diet by themselves in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
i used to work at a vet clinic..so i might know something about dog nutrition...dogs are not carnivores, they're omnivors (?) they eat either meat or veggie stuff.  cats however need lots of protien and are carnivores.  either way i think it's lame to project your beliefs on your dog...but whatever.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Marvl,

I hate to sound like some Dear Abby shit, but:

The only concern I have is the dog. Trying an head-on approach with the owner and maybe your friend loses her job and God knows what happens to the dog.

Considering that a dog is, like us, omninorous, possibly a series of short converstaions between your friend and the dog's owner – especially regarding the need for higher protein in any vegetarian diet, may induce the owner to address these deficiencies in the dog's diet.

Failing that, unless you are willing to care for the dog yourself, shoot them both!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't all dogs decend from wolves? And aren't wolves carnivores? They do hunt. In fact all wild dogs, wolves, coyotes and hyneas all hunt for meat. I don't think it's natural for dogs to be vegetarians.

*we didn't claw our way to the top of the food chain to eat salads*
View Quote
Yes, they eat vegies by proxy. The wolves dine on bunnies  that dined on vegies![:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top