Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 8:20:33 AM EDT

i'm planning to attend a fairly big show (1200 tables) in the next few weeks. due to my location, its kind of a hassle to get to a decent show, so i usually only go to a few.

what i'm wondering about are some of the best buys at gun shows. or if there are certain items that you regularly look for or buy at shows instead of over the net or whatever.

mainly, i'm thinking abotu specialty items or obscure stuff that could be useful but might not show up on ebay or that doesnt make sense to buy via mail due to shipping or cost. or if there will be a large selection of certain worthwhile items not found anywhere else that i shoudl check out for reference.

i'd like to find somethings to make my trip and entry fee worthwhile. and i know it's kind of a vague question, but i'm that anything along these lines would be recalled.

thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Ammo
Mags
Uppers
More ammo
Sling Thing
Soft Gun cases
First Aide supplies
Books
More ammo

Sgtar15

PS Don't forget to get some ammo!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Beanie Babies
Beef Jerkey
Candy
Peanuts
Books ([i]non firearms related[/i])
Videos ([i]non firearms related[/i])
Paintings
Lamps
Shadow Boxes
T-Shirts
Jewlery
Jewlery Cleaner
Dresses
Rugs
Weavings
Antiques ([i]non firearms related[/i])

Most of what I just described can be found at either Tulsa and/or Houston... Shall I go on..?

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I rarely find good deals on much at gun shows.  I like to pick up AR parts, bulk cleaning supplies, occasional surplus bit and sometimes a book or two I don't want to bother shipping from Amazon.  

Ammo used to be okay but really getting it from Ammoman is cheaper in most cases.  I really [i]hate[/i] seeing $35 SA battlepacks selling for $60!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If your state allows individual gun sales without paper you can usually find at least one good gun deal from someone walking around.  Or someone who rented a table to get rid of his stock.  For instance, A few months ago I bought an almost new pre-ban TEC-9 for $150 from someone who walked in the door. At the show last week there was a guy selling a pre-ban Norinco AK for $750, a great buy.

To me the best deal may be in magazines.  Some people will want top dollar but others just want to liquidate their stock.  Last week someone had new in wrapper AR mags for $40.  Two rows over someone was selling the same mags in the wrappers for $15. You can also get good deals if you buy a lot of mags from someone wanting to get rid of them.  I bought 12 Colt 20 round mags  for $150 from a guy trying to make a few dollars and recoup his table fees.  He was originally asking $20 a piece for them which was a good price.

Don't be afraid to suggest a lower price.  You will be amazed at how many will take you up on your offer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Kettle Corn. (Imbroglio gives it a 2 thumbs up rating!!))[BD]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Lap dances.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget the Hellfire's. [;)]

60 dollars for a battlepack?  Sheesh talk about highway robbery.  Those shows must suck!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#11]
1.  Beef, Buffalo, Turkey, Alligator, Ostritch Jerkey

2.  Hot Sauce

3.  Salsa
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#12]
The only thing you're likely to find at a gun show that you can't get for the same price or less over the web is the crowd.

I don't even buy guns there anymore because I can find better deals in the Equipment Exchange here and have them shipped to my FFL.

Even the jerky/salsa/spicy peanuts are available online.  [url]http://www.saucegal.com/[/url] is the people who do the gun shows in my area.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Conspiracy videos!  Though someone needs to sell anti-deodorant for those patrons.  Hell, even outdoor ones I've been to had guys that smell like they just tumbled out of the mountains.  WTF did they eat, musk ox jerkey?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lap dances.
View Quote

I want to go to one of THOSE gun shows [;)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Ammo (heavy) or powder (no hazmat shipping cost).  

Milsurp bags, web gear, etc.

For new guns, you will seldom get better prices; the main advantage is selection and sometimes a closeout sale on a particular model.

The bargains are in used guns and accessories from private sellers or collectors.  Look closely at those tables and pay attention to odd items that are not consistent with the rest of the items at a table (got a NEW Yugo SKS stock for $10 at a table of cowboy action stuff and a set of WWII 1911 grips for $5 at a shotgun table!).  

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I have found that by far the best deals can be had IF you can find the guy who will only sell you stuff from his car in the parking lot. Lots of "exotics" can usually be purchased at a fair price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top