User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2010 2:34:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I love my iPhone and I'd like an iPad but it is too big.  I'm looking for a 7 inch tablet.  I'd like a good processor and Android 2.1 or 2.2.

I know K-mart has the Autek but it seems to be as hard to find as the Loch Ness Monster and Google won't approve it for the Marketplace.

So, what do you all think?  Apad iRobot?  Witstech A81E?

rumor of a smaller ipad coming out this wednesday iirc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
None yet.

I'm waiting too, and Ipad isn't an option.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I am still waiting for a Notion Ink Adam before I decide on another Android tablet.  I know its late.  I know it may be vaporware...
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Apple gear (have a 17" G4 PowerBook, a couple of iPods and a Touch) but am getting sick of their "we know what's best for you" attitude.

A good pad/tablet running Android will get my serious attention.  I'll look at what Google might do with Chrome OS but not thrilled about a cloud-only based system.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a droidx and be done with it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally want to see what HP will end up doing with web os and the tablet they have said they are working on for it. Palms webos seemed to handle multitasking a lot better then the android os. With any luck HP can make it into something good.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know i know but 4.3" is pretty big plus you no longer have to support the apple regime.

Did you fail reading comprehension as a child?  I'm looking for a tablet running Android (or a smaller iPad) something with a  7 inch screen.  A droid does not fit the bill.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy tab, September 2nd it will be announced.

There's some Info on it already (google it). I just hope the 3G radio is CDMA and GSM compatible so I can pick whatever carrier I want, and that they have a decent 3G plan with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know i know but 4.3" is pretty big plus you no longer have to support the apple regime.

Did you fail reading comprehension as a child?  I'm looking for a tablet running Android (or a smaller iPad) something with a  7 inch screen.  A droid does not fit the bill.

I'm running a jailbroken iPhone 4.  I hate Apple but I do love their iPhone, just hate that they try to limit you and Android rules in that regard.  However, I've managed to achieve much of what Android does via Cydia and the like.  Besides, I'm under contract with AT&T.  If I got a used Droid off say CL or eBay would the Droid still work without cell service over Wifi?

Iam guessing it would need to be rooted. I couldn't use my droidx till connected to verizon. Dell streak i think it is has a 5 inch screen and runs android. Not read much about it though.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

None yet.

Same, I would hold out a little longer.  Android tablets with 3.0 is gonna be where it's at.  Maybe early next year.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
still waiting for a good one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I love my iPhone and I'd like an iPad but it is too big.  I'm looking for a 7 inch tablet.  I'd like a good processor and Android 2.1 or 2.2.

I know K-mart has the Autek but it seems to be as hard to find as the Loch Ness Monster and Google won't approve it for the Marketplace.

So, what do you all think?  Apad iRobot?  Witstech A81E?

I bought the Kmart netbook, just to dick with it.

I have an Asus netbook, just wanted to see what these could do.

No flash, it's useless.

I took it back, it's really not worth the price, despite being neat gadget-wise, it just wasn't functional enough and slower than shit in a constipation ward.

Buy a Hannspree Netbook for $250, they're pretty nice for pretty cheap. And fully functional, featuring Win 7.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#17]
By the way, apparently if you leave the Augen shit on the charger for more than three hours, it corrupts itself needing a reset.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have a netbook, I want a tablet

What you don't want is hardware from Augen.

Or don't believe me, but I'm trying to save you the trouble.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]
No really good options yet. Its taking way too long for all the neat prototypes we saw at CES, (way back before the iPad was officially announced,) reach production. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is supposed to be out soon, so I'll recommend that as the cheap K-Mart one is barely good enough for reading email.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/29/samsung-galaxy-tab-in-the-wild-and-now-teasing-cdma/

There are also rumblings of a Verizon Android tablet; I don't remember if its HTC or Motorola. Should be out by Black Friday if the rumors are true.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a netbook, I want a tablet

What you don't want is hardware from Augen.

Or don't believe me, but I'm trying to save you the trouble.

I get that, it is vaporware anyway unless you want to order it online.  I'm leaning toward an Apad E7002 or Witstech A81E

I figured the netbook would save me from this touch shit which looks maddening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wPJYcfXsrM

But Android is horrible IMHO. I can't really see why anyone would want to do this to themselves.

I might have to find some vids on those others and see if the hardware was the main issue.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No really good options yet. Its taking way too long for all the neat prototypes we saw at CES, (way back before the iPad was officially announced,) reach production. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is supposed to be out soon, so I'll recommend that as the cheap K-Mart one is barely good enough for reading email.

Hell you can't even get into your mail account!

It has some pure shit gmail interface to it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But Android is horrible IMHO. I can't really see why anyone would want to do this to themselves.

I might have to find some vids on those others and see if the hardware was the main issue.  

It is quite amazing on good hardware, of which the Augen is not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
archos?

Probably the only good option till the iPad killers come out. I played with one at Best Buy and was not impressed with the build quality, but go see if they'll work for you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
archos?

Which one the Archos 7?  The Archos 5 looks sweet but a bit too small, not much bigger than the iPhone

Not looking that good with a resistive touch screen, build quality, and Android 1.5, but might work for what you need it for.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the Augen 7 tablet for 150 when it came out. When I had access to the android app market it was great. I lost access after the first day and now have to track apps in the wild. This sucks.

Pros
It is easy to web surf and create short emails.
The wifi performance is adequate.
The OS is responsive and quick on the platform.
Cons
The screen reminds me of using a palm device. Some clicks are not noticed.
Sound quality is fair to poor.
The audio output jack is an odd size. I think it is 3.5 2.5mm. It will not work with standard headphones.
Support from the manufacturer sucks.
I don't think that any tablet without app market access is worth it.

I don't have an Iphone but my friends do. I like the screen size and os better than the Iphone.
I would not buy this unit again. If I had a droid phone it would be okay.

eta change info output jack
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
By the way, apparently if you leave the Augen shit on the charger for more than three hours, it corrupts itself needing a reset.

This does not reflect my experience with the Augen Tablet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 7" ePad with Android 1.7 and it makes me want to punch someone. I got it in exchange for some math tutoring and now I'm wishing I would have taken the money instead. It is slow, has a horrible screen, and has frequent errors.

For Reference:

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

What about the Win CE based tablets?  Like this?

I will not support ANYTHING with any version of winBlows.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd wait until the next generation
that's my new model for almost all tech
let the 1st gen stuff come out and people complain about the short comings and then when the second gen stuff out think about buying it

I remember this being a decent thread (meaning informative) about the one Kmart has
http://www.overclock.net/mobile-phones-smartphones-pocket-pcs/788856-augen-gentouch78-android-2-1-7-a.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Rumor is Apple will have a release date for a smaller iPad this week, yeah it is just a rumor, but you might as well wait.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#39]
what about the WePad

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Toshiba is supposed to have one coming out in the next month too.

Its tough to pick one right now.  I've decided to wait, save my pennies and see whats available at the end of the year.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What about the Win CE based tablets?  Like this?

I will not support ANYTHING with any version of winBlows.  

I'd stay away from anything WinCE related at least until after Windows Mobile 7 comes out. That's likely to have
a decent software architecture and they'll probably tie it into the XBox universe. But even then it's still
an unproven platform compared to Android or Apple.

The Galaxy looks like the first plausible iPad peer, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I cant even imagine how expensive and HTC tablet would be.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I would love an Android tablet as well, I'm waiting for the ASUS tablet to come out before I make a decision.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#44]
You don't need to be connected to Verizon to use WiFi.

I bought my DroidX from a 3rd party retailer and had it most of a day without activating it. I hooked it up to my wifi and was installing marketplace apps, etc. without having any cell service.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Correction to my post above. I rooted my ePad this morning and put Android 1.9_88 on it. It's actually usable now. I now have full access to the Android marketplace and it plays Youtube videos in 480p.It's not the fastest thing in the world but it works for just surfing around, email, and docs to go that I will need for work.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

None yet.

I'll buy the Adam if it ever hits shelves.

The dual e-ink/colr screen is awesome.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
None yet.

I'll buy the Adam if it ever hits shelves.

The dual e-ink/colr screen is awesome.

This ^^^^^^^^^^ Not sure what the hold up is.............
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top