Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2002 6:24:32 PM EDT
I am getting ready to put together a comprehensive
bug out list and fill it.
The reason i have not done this before is denial,
you see for me to actually buy all i would need is to admit that i might really need all this stuff some day.
The fact is we might need it and not have it.
I'll start the list with the basics and you guys just add what ever you think is missing.
You are not wasting your time i'm am going to buy all this stuff ,so help me spend some money,please.

1-comprehensive firstaid kit
2-MRE's,canteens,flour,rice
3-rifles and side arms
4-ammo,rifle and pistol,ammo pouches
5-water purification system
6-sleeping bags and tents
7-survival tools leatherman,good knives,sharpners
axe,tree saw
8-two way radios
9-TP
10-flashlights and plenty of batt.
11-thremal Emer.blankets
12-water proof matches and fire starting equipment
13-cold wheather clothing
14-Trip Wire ,rope 1/8 inch nylon -500 ft
15-duffels and alice packs
.OK I know i missed alot of things so add on ,thanks.
JJ
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a place to go. The hills are full. My advice is that you should only bug out if there is something forcing you out (bio, radiation, chem weapons, fire).

You can easily stock up an apartment with three - four months of food and water and be ready to hole up if tshtf.

This is my plan if some contagious bio weapon is released.

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
btw, go to [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&q=bugout&meta=group%3Dmisc.survivalism[/url] for endless chatter on this subject.

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
1.) water. if nothing else save your one litter plastic Coke bottles and wash and refill them every couple of monthes.

2.) Water purification tablets (sold at walmart in the Coleman camping supplies.) pool clorine tablets ( Sold at Walmart, pool supplies, better than bottled liquid bleach more concentrated easily transported.

3.) vetrinary Antibiotics (availible at Atwoods or other Agri oriented suppy stores in the mid west. Get the dry powdered OxyTetracycline in  the Swine and poultry section. It comes in big bags cheap, Because you never know when your family cat and 50 of its friends might be dosed with Anthrax.

4.) Get one AR15 rifle or 12 gauge pump riot gun for every adult member of your close family, that has the maturity to handle such a weapon in a disaster. While people will argue endlessly over which rifle is best, there is just no substitute for owning the assault rifle of your countries military in time of disaster. Mags and parts will be much easier to find.

5.) One good quality handgun for every member of your family that has the maturity to handle one in a disaster. 9mm or better.

6.) Buy extra stuff for your first aid kit remember, most first aid kits are not put together with mass casulties in mind. extra battle dressings, extra bicarb or baking soda for electrolite replacement therapy, At least 500 to 1000 asprin, fever maint, The above mentioned Vet antibiotics in large quantity. THINK IN TERMS OF MASS CAS!!!, not of just a scraped knee.

Thats just a small sample to get you going, I hope it has been of some help.

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have read a bunch of this stuff and water and the ability to make it safe to drink is #1.
The one thing, I never see mentioned is to get ones self in reasonably good physical condition.
We think up and procure all of this stuff, but how are we going to carry it all if to many years of donuts and cheeseburgers are going to go with us.
I think it would be wise to ask ourselves if we really would have the strength and stamina to lug a 50 + pound pack and ammo plus a rifle.
I know if I had to do it tonight, That 8 miles would fell like 50.
One of these dark nights, I am going to load up my pack and harness, drive out of town and take a little hike cross country carrying what I figure will be the weight of essentials to live outdoors plus my rifle to see how far I will be able to go for starters and work up.
I want to do it a night for concealment and to learn to navigate at night without the aid of a light.
If the S does HTF, I think night will be the only safe time to travel in this area anyway
I figure if the SHTF, vehicular travel will be greatly resticted.
Fortunatly, I already live in an area of the country that is not heavily populated and would have to go less than 8 miles to get away from town.
I feel the same need to keep adding to my SHTF stash, as funds allow.
I just hope my wife doesnt find my duffel until I can talk it over with her or the S will hit the F.

Lee
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Aimless and everyone else,good suggestions so far, as far as weapons, we are set, we all shoot well,my wife likes the AK the rest of the family prefers AR's and we have more than enough tac shotguns,my wife is a med pro. and we all are trained in first aid and cpr.
I was combat trained in the service but that was in 72',long ago but i remember most of my training.
No survival training to my regret.
It's never to late to learn,and i am .
Being here in new jersey i know if the S does hit the fan we will have to get out and quick before marshal law is declared,i have already set up escape routes by land and sea,i hope we will be able to get out by land if we have to go,if by sea we can do that to.
thanks for the help ,keep it coming.
JJ
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO,  AMMO,AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,
AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO,  AMMO,AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO,  AMMO,AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,
AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO,  AMMO,AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO,

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone submitted a PDF bug out list to the SurvivalForum web site...you can download it here:

http://www.survivalforum.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=62&ttitle=Bug_Out_FAQ_[PDF]

Franklin
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:38:26 AM EDT
[#12]
For survival stuff and BOB's go to:

Plainsman's Cabin:   http://ubb.plainsmanscabin.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

and the Frugal Squirrel: http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
Lots of good information at both of these sites.

Regards,

Merlin
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#13]
think light weight.
you may have to "bug out" with just the stuff on your back.  AR-15,  6 loaded mags.

everything else you can get from the sheeple.
cars food housing can all be gotten at gunpoint and if worse comes to worse you can eat the sheeple.

the only problem is good water so prepare for that.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#14]
BAD advice.  Stealing even in a bugout is not right, also the person that you steal from may have a skill that you need to survive.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#15]
First you have to identify what your primary threats are likely to be.  In most places they will be:
1. Spikey-haired mutants.
2. Plague zombies.
3. Rogue military units.
4. Giant blood-sucking rats.
5. Servants of Gehenemoth-5.
There will, of course, be other threats unique to your area.  These are just the ones pretty much guaranteed to be everywhere.
So, what do you need?  The answer is guns and ammunition, my good man.  Whether your stockpile of dental floss is large enough won't matter when a mob of spikey-haired mutants is sodomizing you to death.
At a very minimum, each member of your party [b]MUST[/b] have a .308 autoloading rifle, a .223 autoloading rifle, a 12 gauge autoloading shotgun, and a .45 caliber automatic pistol.  Each of these weapons must be a high capacity military style weapon.  Plan on a minimum of 10,000 rounds per weapon per person per week.  Spare parts packages are, accordingly, desirable.  Each member should also have a big knife, a switchblade, and a pocket pistol of some description.
What are the practices that will ensure your survival in The Coming Troubled Times(tm)?  Shoot.  Shoot your neighbors, shoot suspicious looking outsiders, shoot those gud-dam black heliocopters.  Remember: Shoot first, then shoot again, then think about asking questions later.  Curious about something?  Recon by fire.  This is TSHTF we are talking about, not some church ice cream social.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#16]
A mountain bike, the kind you pedal. You'll be able to carry a lot more supplies, and not have to depend on fuel, except food to keep you going.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Commo gear - I use FM business band as it's not common. Effective communications is always important and can make a small number of survivors much more efficient.

If the "S" is coming from the government/military don't worry about crypto as they'll break what they want, when they want, and use direction finding to narrow the area down to one 81mm mortar round.
View Quote

Yep...check out the Yaesu FT-50.  Easily modded to talk 132-512 mHz no gaps...all kinds of places to hide..plus you can stop the power down to 35mW through the menu...harder to df that kind of power.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First you have to identify what your primary threats are likely to be.  In most places they will be:
1. Spikey-haired mutants.
2. Plague zombies.
3. Rogue military units.
4. Giant blood-sucking rats.
5. Servants of Gehenemoth-5.
There will, of course, be other threats unique to your area.  These are just the ones pretty much guaranteed to be everywhere.
So, what do you need?  The answer is guns and ammunition, my good man.  Whether your stockpile of dental floss is large enough won't matter when a mob of spikey-haired mutants is sodomizing you to death.
At a very minimum, each member of your party [b]MUST[/b] have a .308 autoloading rifle, a .223 autoloading rifle, a 12 gauge autoloading shotgun, and a .45 caliber automatic pistol.  Each of these weapons must be a high capacity military style weapon.  Plan on a minimum of 10,000 rounds per weapon per person per week.  Spare parts packages are, accordingly, desirable.  Each member should also have a big knife, a switchblade, and a pocket pistol of some description.
What are the practices that will ensure your survival in The Coming Troubled Times(tm)?  Shoot.  Shoot your neighbors, shoot suspicious looking outsiders, shoot those gud-dam black heliocopters.  Remember: Shoot first, then shoot again, then think about asking questions later.  Curious about something?  Recon by fire.  This is TSHTF we are talking about, not some church ice cream social.
View Quote

Everyone has overlooked the one vital element, even more important than water. Cans of beans.

Discuss amongst yourselves.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A mountain bike, the kind you pedal. You'll be able to carry a lot more supplies, and not have to depend on fuel, except food to keep you going.
View Quote

Joking about beans aside, remember also that a bike can be used to transport large amounts of cargo, as it was used by the VC. In a SHTF situation, you wouldn't want to be THAT burdened that you couldn't ride it, but the capacity is there if you need it. Having a bike is a good idea. I believe the Brits and Canadians used Bikemobile infantry, and in a country with a sophisticated road network like this, a bike, atlas, and the backroads are a good way to move around quietly when need be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Sunscreen with a very high SPF, lip balm, vitamins, Fishing gear (line, floats, sinkers, hooks, possibly even a collapsible rod)
commercial snares.

When it comes to starting fires, consider a propane lighter designed to light a grill. They have a major league fuel supply, and they don't heat up and burn your hand.

Get the stuff designed to burn under the GI canteen heater to use for starting a fire when the fuel is wet.

Consider candles instead of, or in addition to, flashlights. Some of these can burn for days and weigh less than a flashlight. The flashlight is more mobile, but a candle lantern might help there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Joking about beans aside, remember also that a bike can be used to transport large amounts of cargo, as it was used by the VC. In a SHTF situation, you wouldn't want to be THAT burdened that you couldn't ride it, but the capacity is there if you need it. Having a bike is a good idea. I believe the Brits and Canadians used Bikemobile infantry, and in a country with a sophisticated road network like this, a bike, atlas, and the backroads are a good way to move around quietly when need be.
View Quote

Just so you can peddle faster than the spikey-haired mutants can run.

Brits, French, and Germans all used bicycle troops at one time or another up through the WWII era.  If memory serves, the Japanese might have done so as well.  Although the image of a battalion of French troopers peddling along, singing "Alloutte", is pretty funny, it makes sense when you realize they dismounted and fought as infantry.  In the days when infantry actually got around primarily on foot, bikes were a pretty good advantage for maneuver.  Now that I think about it, the image of French troops is funny no matter what they are doing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#22]
A pair of .50 Desert Eagles and lots of ammo.
Everyone knows that as soon as it's time to "bugout", you might as well start shooting.

Things you'll need...

1.  garments made of smelly, untanned hides.
2.  dune buggy, decorated with scraps of corrugated tin
3.  scary skull masks
4.  machetes
5.  harpoon launcher, for the dune-buggy.
6.  leather pants
7.  googles
8.  road flares, lots of road flares
9.  dynamite
10. cigars

And, of course.....

[img]http://spas12.com/spas/anispas.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The C. Crane company has an AM/FM/SW/Weather radio that uses no batteries called the Freeplay Plus.  It has a built-in hand crank generator or operates off an included solar panel.  A must.

Baby wipes.  A "survivalist" buddy of mine says they're the best thing since sliced bread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top