Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2002 6:31:37 PM EDT
It was attached to the Laptop inside the car.

Said "Justice Delayed" on the top and

"Justice Denied" on the bottom.

In the center was an Executioner holding a bloody double faced ax.

Told a SGT at the desk who is looking into it because he agreed with me that it was slightly inapropriate.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Did it make you "feel bad"? No freedom of speech, no freedom of expression? Words mean more than actions? If they think it, they will do it? The soccer moms have taken over the world.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe he'll get mandatory psychological counseling, like John Rocker.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If you didn't like what you saw then maybe you ought to keep your nose out of his business.  If it was on his bumper i'd halfway understand.

Friggin crybabies in this world...
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
First Off I planly saw it thru the winshield and it was plain as day. It was also on an issued laptop. Second, the reason I "ratted" him out was I would hate for him to be portrayed as some cold blooded killer by a civil attorney over the sticker (it does happen). According to the Sgt (who was his superior) he was just going to tell him to take it off and use some judgement when he places things like that in view of the puplic. No it didn't hurt my feelings one bit I just thought it would bring undue grief on the officer and dept. Hell the suspended a Highway patrol officer this week for "Racial Profiling" hispanics. It is turning out they are the ones drinking and driveing (using crash data and state statistics) the Attorney pushing it is trying to get 6 just DUI charges dropped because of it.

You tell me how would it look to the media if they saw the sticker while reporting on a justified shoot this officer hopefully will never have to do?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]
First off, what do you have on your work computer at this moment?  I get really offended by those little fuzzy balls with eyes and plastic feet. Secondly, do you have a habit of telling other people what they can and cannot have in their personal workspace? How about if that officer inventoried your cubicle and listed things you had to remove? Your excuse is so far remote as to be laughable.  If I were that afraid of lawyers I'd never leave the house.  Lastly, why did you go to a supervisor?  Why not take your concerns up with the officer himself? After all, he was apparently right there. Several things in my experience are now going to happen:
1. The SGT is going to dismiss you as a nosy prick with an axe to grind, and you are going to be the subject of some pretty unflattering discussions that will probably go regional in time.  You have now joined the same category as the twit that complained on one of my guys because the patrol car's license plate had three sixes in it.
2. Every officer in the dept is going to put that sticker or something even worse on their laptop. That happened here when another nosy twit complained (In writing yet) because my gear bag is a woodland camouflage pattern. Within a week the place was buried in camouflaged bags, notepad holders, and ticket books.  
BTW:  I have stickers on my laptop and briefcase.  They are similar, 10" across. A flaming skull with a bayonet in it's teeth.  One has a Ranger tab with the inscription "Kill them all", the other has an Airborne tab and states "Death from above".  I've never really been all that tolerant of political correctness.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#8]
First of he reported to the officers Sgt. not internal affairs, which means it will most likely end up a friendly conversation and advice from  senior personnel.

Secondly check out Massad Ayoobs self defense and the law in last months Combat Handguns, He addresses bumper stickers and other office items that were used to try to convict and crucify people who were justified in using deadly force. It is about keeping yourself out of prison.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
ADTECHARMS,

Personnaly I think you did the right thing.  LEO's forget who they work for sometimes.  And why is it that a LEO can look into our car window and hold us responsible for what they see "in plain sight" but if a civilian does the same we are being "nosey"??

Taste of their own medicine must be bitterness.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#12]
SGB,
I agree, some people don't have a sense of humor. They are called lawyers who have agendas, often these agendas are to further their careers, they sometimes do this by wrongfully prosecuting or suing people who are justified in their actions.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Beekeeper,

I agree that the sticker itself isn't that big a deal.  I was mearly trying to point out how the LEO immediatelt get defensive over someone looking into there windows.  Also,  I don't believe that when acop is looking into windows he is always on the up and up.  Sometimes they just like to harass people IMHO.

Sgtar15

PS I guess we can't always agree........but I still love you [;)]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#16]
i think the sticker sounds cool.
what dept was it, so i can get one and pass them out to my fellow officers and put them on our bumpers.

whiner.
get a life.
get over it.
get a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry about the long posts,  This is really a hot topic for me. Ayoob's books are masterpieces of the "What if" scenario. I considered them to be a waste of money and time. As for attorneys, you have one too, as well as a judge who, if he is awake at all, is not going to allow this sort of nonsense in his courtroom. As an aside, I worked IA for 5 years after making SGT, I would hear these sort of bullshiite complaints on a daily basis. All of which REQUIRE an interview of the officer and a report. (for those of you unfamiliar with how it works, a compliant to a supervisor must be written up and referred to Internal affairs regardless of circumstances.) I divide these folks into two categories.  For every REAL complaint you'll get five hundred of these two types:
1.  Outright nutcases.
2.  People with inflated egos with an axe to grind.
I have fielded complaints about an officer's haircut, (He's bald, the guy thought he was a skinhead) A Hispanic officer's accent, (He sounds like a criminal) Badges being gold and silver,(I never really figured that one out,  something to do with the New World Order.) Satanic messages in the car numbers or license plates, Motorcycle uniform jackets being made from leather, (those poor cows. Besides, it makes us look like killers) sunglasses, (He shouldn't be hiding his eyes) Being in a diner in uniform, (I'm sorry ma'am, but I cannot order an officer not to eat)  Use of Black Talon/Ranger ammunition. (Our issue is Gold Dot because of the complaints), gun complaints, especially shotguns with evil black polymer stocks instead of wood. An officer wearing a cross around his neck, and Christmas decorations in the office. (can't have that, it's insulting to those of different religions. I even fielded a complaint of a group prayer at an officers funeral) and constantly, racism, sexism, general whining of all types. There are certainly real, founded complaints, but they tend to get buried in the drivel. Think of the money and manpower requirements the dept would save. We might even be able to take some of those assigned to Internal affairs and put them to work on crime instead of a complaint about flashing lights from the patrol cars (it may cause epileptic fits). I think I'm going to take the boat and go fishing now,  I just have to keep repeating,  5 years to early retirement,  5 years to early retirement,,,,,,    
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#18]
SGB,
My post was not intended to show fear of lawyers, there are quite a few who are honest, trustworthy and after the truth. There are also lawyers who lack these qualities and have their own agendas. A person who is prosecuted and found guilty or not guilty based on evidence is fine. When a lawyer uses training or bumper stickers or reading material to muddy the truth it is not. I think you can agree that there are lawyers out there who do that.

I think it is a bigger crime that you defend yourself, whether it is with a weapon or fist, and then have to defend what you read, or better yet what discussion forums, I.E. AR15.com, you belong to.

Lets face it, if one of us in this forum, were to defend ourselves in any situation, our posting here could be used to influence the jury into showing we were bloodthirsty, or trying to figure out the way to get away with murder. When the truth is no one but the individual knows why they joined this forum. Me personally, I joined to learn more about AR's, however, I have found various discussion to be enlightening and informative. We have had people who have said ignore the 94 crime bill, while I feel the crime bill is a crock, it is still the law, the only way around it is to change it. A lawyer could use a comment like ignore the crime bill, to show a jury that the person does not believe in obeying the law.

Whether it is true or not would be up to the jury to decide. BTW I personally think I should be able to put whatever bumper sticker I want on my car, I should be able to read any book I want, and have whatever pictures, sayings, religious material I want at my desk. We all know this is not the case.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Ya, but what is a "stiker"?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Our old sheriff, before he retired, has a framed poster in his office forever.  It said Justice on the top and Regular or Extra crispy on the bottom with an electric chair in between.  I think he got quite a few complaints from people with no sense of humor, I always thought it was funny as hell.  I sure some prisoners didn't though.  I love those "good ol boy" sheriffs of days gone by.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#21]
aaahhh, the good old days.  when a law enforcement officer earned his respect by thumping assholes that needed it every once in a while.   what do you think gets more respect, the prospect of getting your ass kicked or getting charged with a fine you'll never pay or going to a place with a warm bed and three square meals a day.  things were simpler then.
when i wasa kid, if you mouthe d off to a police officer, you got a mouth full of bloody chiclets, now , kids just laugh at cops because of the mockery the system has become.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#22]
John, I have a question for you:

WTF HAS HAPPENED TO 6TH STREET?!!!!

Does anyone go there anymore who is not:

a.   an active gang member
b.   15 years old
c.   looking to get into a street fight
d.   an unsuspecting tourist
?

There's more cops & paddywagons there on a Sat. night than at Sturgis!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought the topic said "Striker," and that this would be a shotgun post
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Jobus,  several things have been happening on 6th street. Ex and meth dealers are working the clubs, esp. Platinum X, Bob Popular's and a couple of others. (21 and under)  Crack is also making inroads closer to I 35 in the Waller Creek area.  The crowd has also changed.  As you observed, it's mostly juveniles and anarchist gang types. Only about one in three is actually from Austin, a lot are from San Antonio. There are also a lot of GI's from Ft Hood. Mardi Gras is an example. It's really going to get bad when the weather warms up and school is out. By the time the end of May comes around we'll have more officers in the areas between 3rd to 12 streets west of I35 than there are in the rest of the city. We've had 7 stabbings in one week down there, although the most common EMS calls are fights and overdoses. Crowds on weekends will go as high as 30-50,000 depending on bands/special events.  the only hope for 6th street to return to what it once was would be to close down the 21 and under clubs. Not really politically feasible.  If you want to go out and not risk bleeding, muggings, or car burglaries, may I suggest 4th and Colorado or the Arboretum as a better area.  Better music, better food, a more mature crowd all around.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought the topic said "Striker," and that this would be a shotgun post
View Quote

That is what I thought
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#26]
JohninAustin,

Your last name wouldn't happen to be Bryant?  If it is, a big hello from Louis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top