Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm thinking just about any modern MANPAD would turn that into a smoking hole in the sky.

I dont know! I would think it would actually be a bit harder to hit if it were a heat seeking missile.

I wonder what the Soviets thought when it started raining Hinds in Afghanistan.

It never did.  Few helicopters were actually lost to stingers.  The soviets adjusted their tactics to safer and less effective TTPs.
which is what most CAS in the air force has been doing from day 1.

??? The Muj shot down 270 Soviet aircraft.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had UAVs over head and never was able to talk to them.  I had to BFT the TOC and the TOC JTAC would communicate back with BFT Free Text.  Not optimal.  Plus, UAV weapons release was a ridiculously stupid process.  Somehow the airforce thinks a UAV operator in Bagram knows better than the senior ground commander what is going on.

What if you had something like organic Army UAVs and streaming video from them? At what level should UAV data be fed back into ground units?

It must stream via BFT somehow.
You can't pre-determine the echelon that may find itself in need.
What we need are FAC-As in Tucanos or OV-10s talking like a real person.
UAVs are not CAS.  They are ISR and Strike.
CAS is, by definition, detailed integration of air and ground.  You can't integrate a pilot in another province (or continent).
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm thinking just about any modern MANPAD would turn that into a smoking hole in the sky.

I dont know! I would think it would actually be a bit harder to hit if it were a heat seeking missile.

It never did.  Few helicopters were actually lost to stingers.  The soviets adjusted their tactics to safer and less effective TTPs.

I would like to see the breakdown and source.
Taliban killed me 3 times according to ICOM chatter.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The AT-802U (Air Tractor) carries 9,000lbs of ass-kick with 10hrs of endurance and some cockpit and engine armor.

Picture I lifted off of wiki;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/AirTractor_Paris_I.jpg

Damn that's one ugly plane.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Google the Super Tucano.

Yeah, we already went over this in class.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Better than what we have now, for sure.
But not optimal.
A-37B or the OV-10 would be even better.
I don't need lots of firepower.  I need loiter and observation.
Single seater low wings aren't the best.
Firepower is the least of my problems.

A-37? The A-37 had the same loiter time as a fat guy jumping.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The AT-802U (Air Tractor) carries 9,000lbs of ass-kick with 10hrs of endurance and some cockpit and engine armor.

Did you miss the part about observation?
Can't see shit out of that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Too susceptible to ground fire?  That's always been one of my favorite warplanes though.

Great plane but the problem is that it carries guns and bombs and we sure the hell dont want to hurt anybody do we?That would piss off our coward president and it would mean that he has to get on his knees and beg forgivness for us killing murdrers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you miss the part about observation?

Can't see shit out of that.

Observation? That's a two-bagger airplane.

I couldn't get past looking at it.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hang a PT6 on the front and yeah maybe, but piston engines have no place in military aviation.

Thats pretty ignorant. What makes you think that they cannont support our troops because they are piston driven. Would you rather have and sky raider or nothing? Does it not perform its intended task when called upon? does it not have a respectable loiter time?

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But not optimal.

Not the T-37
The A-37 had pretty big twin tips.
I read it had 6.5 hours endurance.
Might have read wrong.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Man, I remember the last time I was in Afghanistan, the Taliban were shooting down Blackhawks and Chinooks constantly with MANPAD's.  Oh wait, they weren't.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Google the Super Tucano.

Yeah, we already went over this in class.

What class?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Google, it's a motherfucker....

Variants
XBT2D-1 - Single-seat dive-bomber, torpedo-bomber prototype for the U.S. Navy.
XBT2D-1N - Three-seat night attack prototypes, only three aircraft built.
XBT2D-1P - Photographic reconnaissance prototype, only one built.
XBT2D-1Q - Two-seat electronics countermeasures prototype. One aircraft only.
BT2D-2 (XAD-2) - Upgraded attack aircraft, one prototype only.
AD-1 - The first production model, 242 built.
AD-1Q - Two-seat electronic countermeasures version of the AD-1, 35 built.
AD-1U - AD-1 with radar countermeasures and tow target equipment, no armament and no water injection equipment.
XAD-1W - Three-seat airborne early warning prototype. AD-3W prototype, one aircraft only.
AD-2 - Improved model, powered by 2,700 hp (2,000 kW) Wright R-3350-26W engine, 156 built.
AD-2D - Unofficial designation for AD-2s used as remote-control aircraft, to collect and gather radioactive material in the air after nuclear tests.
AD-2Q - Two-seat electronics countermeasures version of the AD-2, 21 built.
AD-2QU - AD-2 with radar countermeasures and target towing equipment, no armament and no water injection equipment, one aircraft only.
XAD-2 - Similar to XBT2D-1 except engine, increased fuel capacity.
AD-3 - Proposed turboprop version, initial designation of A2D Skyshark.

AD-3 - Stronger fuselage, improved landing gear, new canopy design, 125 built.
AD-3S - Anti-submarine warfare model, only two prototypes were built.
AD-3N - Three-seat night attack version, 15 built.
AD-3Q - Electronics countermeasures version, countermeasures equipment relocated for better crew comfort. 23 built.
AD-3QU - Target towing aircraft, but most were delivered as the AD-3Q.
AD-3W - Airborne early warning version, 31 built.
XAD-3E - AD-3W modified for ASW with Aeroproducts propellor
AD-4 - Strengthened landing gear, improved radar, G-2 compass, anti-G suit provisions, four 20 mm (.79 in) cannon and 14 Aero rocket launchers, capable of carrying up to 50 lb (23 kg) of bombs. 372 built.
AD-4B - Specialized version designed to carry nuclear weapons, also armed with four 20 mm cannon. 165 built plus 28 conversions.
AD-4L - Equipped for winter operations in Korea, 63 conversions.
AD-4N - Three-seat night attack version, 307 built.
AD-4NA - Designation of 100 AD-4Ns without their night-attack equipment, but fitted with four 20 mm (0.79 in) cannon, for service in Korea as ground-attack aircraft.
AD-4NL - version of the AD-4N, 36 conversions.
AD-4Q - Two-seat electronic countermeasures version of the AD-4, 39 built.
AD-4W - Three-seat airborne early warning version, 168 built. 50 AD-4Ws were transferred to the Royal Navy as Skyraider AEW Mk 1.
AD-5 (A-1E) - Side by side seating for pilot and co-pilot, without dive brakes.  The AD-5 could carry a crew of four, plus four passengers or 12 troops, four stretchers, or 2,000 pounds of cargo.  212 built.
AD-5N (A-1G) - Four-seat night attack version, with radar countermeasures, 239 built.
AD-5Q (EA-1F) - Four-seat electronics countermeasures version, 54 conversions.
AD-5S - One prototype to test Magnetic anomaly detector (MAD) anti-submarine equipment.
AD-5W (EA-1E) - Three-seat airborne early warning version. 218 were built.
UA-1E - Utility version of the AD-5.
AD-6 (A-1H) - Single-seat attack aircraft with three dive brakes, centerline station stressed for 3,500 lb (1,600 kg) of ordinance, 30 in (760 mm) in diameter, combination 14/30 in (360/760 mm) bomb ejector and low/high altitude bomb director, 713 built.
AD-7 (A-1J) - The final production model, powered by a R3350-26WB engine, with structural improvements to increase wing fatigue life, 72 built.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Drug Interdiction on the Southern Border
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It never did. Few helicopters were actually lost to stingers. The soviets adjusted their tactics to safer and less effective TTPs.

I would like to see the breakdown and source.

Taliban killed me 3 times according to ICOM chatter.

There are a ton of sourcs that are using the 270 figure. However, I'm going to go with the at least semi-official link below that state "under 100". Regardless, one day shit just started blowing up and there's no reason to assume that can't happen in our Afghan war.

See P42

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/crs/43981.pdf#xml=http://www.globalsecurity.org/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/webinator/search/pdfhi.txt?query=soviet+aircraft+lost+afghanistan&pr=default&prox=page&rorder=500&rprox=500&rdfreq=500&rwfreq=500&rlead=500&rdepth=0&sufs=0&order=r&cq=&id=4c2eb4a613
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"Air Tractor" is right...that mofo looks like a tacti-cool crop duster...
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hang a PT6 on the front and yeah maybe, but piston engines have no place in military aviation.

Thats pretty ignorant. What makes you think that they cannont support our troops because they are piston driven. Would you rather have and sky raider or nothing? Does it not perform its intended task when called upon? does it not have a respectable loiter time?

Um. no it's not. Do you have any idea how much work it takes to run those radial engines? Not to mention parts support, the skill set, etc.  Antiques belong in a museum.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a tacticool crop duster.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But not optimal.

Not the T-37
The A-37 had pretty big twin tips.
I read it had 6.5 hours endurance.
Might have read wrong.

From what I understand, in a full combat loadout it had about an 800mile range, which is short. It could be improved by aerial refueling and extra drop tanks but that decreases time on station and loadout capacity.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...that's exactly what it is.  The original design is for agricultural work, somebody slapped armor glass and Zuni rockets on it and called it tacticool.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hinds were turbine powered, thus a large heat signature.

Not so much with the Spad.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
  * Crew: One

Some Spads had a two man or more crew.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Pros - Huge firepower, extended loiter, slow speed for optimum manoeverability in the valleys, inexpensive

Cons - Needs upgrades like a turboprop, modern avionics, head-on IR signature is probably huge

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a Sandy on a CAS run. If they were an option, I think they would work pretty well. The Taliban are using a lot of the same weapons as the VC, and they (the VC) didn't shoot down many of them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Which brings up the bigger question, why does the military suck at CAS?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pros - Huge firepower, extended loiter, slow speed for optimum manoeverability in the valleys, inexpensive

Cons - Needs upgrades like a turboprop, modern avionics, head-on IR signature is probably huge

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a Sandy on a CAS run. If they were an option, I think they would work pretty well. The Taliban are using a lot of the same weapons as the VC, and they (the VC) didn't shoot down many of them.

Cannot argue with anyof this.   Where would it operate from ? What is distance to target/loiter area and what is time involved there?  It "aint" fast, but then neither is an A-10 for that matter.  I wonder about the high altitude capabilites especially with a heavy load.  Yeah, I know it's turbocharged, but a big turbine engine would be much better, a lot more hp with a lot less  weight.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who does CAS better than our military?

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What? That would be an ultra joke. A Sidewinder missile has more electronics and computer equipment than that plane. It does not fit the tactical needs of the US military in Afghanistan. A mule has more tactical benefits than that plane.

I think the point would be to upgrade the avionics.

Also, just because something is super-nifty with regards to tech, doesn't mean it is well suited to a particular role on the battlefield. Think, using F-22s for CAS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#31]
nice fantasies boys, those planes will never see duty because of the drones!
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I love Skyraiders, but their time has come and gone.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife just saw the pic in the first post and asked "Is that a b-52 bomber?"
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Not bad but we already have the best in Afghanistan:
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Please articulate why in a high altitude fight a chopper is better than a fixed wing aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who does CAS better than our military?

CAS could be done a lot better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What about direct impingement engines??    Sorry, could not help myself.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Which brings up the bigger question, why does the militaryAirforce suck at CAS?

Fixt

Semper Fi!

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. no it's not. Do you have any idea how much work it takes to run those radial engines? Not to mention parts support, the skill set, etc.  Antiques belong in a museum.

Not to mention how much 100LL they eat and there is no support network for that type of fuel (at least in quantity) and jet fuel is much safer anyway.

Dont worry, Im ignorant though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#40]
The Skyraider was pretty nice in Vietnam, but if you were on the ground in Afghanistan/Iraq...wouldn't you rather have this backing you up?

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Talk them into flying at night.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A2D Skyshark

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#43]

NVM.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
IIRC, they had something like an 8 hour loiter time while on CAS duty in Vietnam, which might be kind of useful.

Skyraider pilots often took a bag lunch with them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention how much 100LL they eat and there is no support network for that type of fuel (at least in quantity) and jet fuel is much safer anyway.

Dont worry, Im ignorant though.

Even if 100LL was available, these engines got peak performance from 100/130 and 115/145, neither is very available now! Swapping a much lighter turbine would cause major weight/balance problems as the aircraft is set up to fly with that heavy radial up front.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#46]

... but you all must admit: dropping a shitter on the enemy shows some real style on the part of that driver.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

This...

No gasoline-powered vehicles in combat.... It screws up logistics, when everything else (even ground vehicles) runs on JP-8 or JP-4.....

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

EDIT: I've always had to wonder, there is a LOT of space in that fuselage, way more than the engine equipment and fluid tanks could be taking up.  What the heck is in there, anyway?

Aircrew.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google the Super Tucano.

Asked a JTAC the other day what he looks for in an aircraft, assuming that it has a targeting pod.  He told me loiter time and loadout were his only two concerns.

Which is why a JTAC is an FO and not a senior ground commander.

I need observation and the ability to communicate with the ground element.  Loadout?  Hell, killing them is easy.  Finding and fixing them is the hard part.

JTACs are company level assets at best.

90% of all TICs are platoon level or lower in A-Stan.

So JTACs are pretty much functionally worthless.

TICs? What's that?

'Troops in Contact'...

Someone's getting shot at, and they need support ASAP....

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top